OSRGaming

Author Topic: How to grow the Forums  (Read 10980 times)

Offline Vile

• XP: +9/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
Re: How to grow the Forums
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 03:29:35 AM »
I think there is increasing interest in the "new" OSR adventures simply because much of the official material is so well known, even if it hasn't all been reviewed. The OSR material, on the other hand, is now such a huge body of work and has been around for so long, that it can't really be called "new" anymore. Just look at all the stuff on Dragonsfoot, for example. There are also some which are clearly modern classics, but which are not that well-known outside the circle of their owners.

Er, yes, I'd like some OSR adventure reviews, please! ;)

As for the forums, this is the second major breakdown they've had and the formerly fairly tight family of WGP podcasts seems to be drifting apart, so it's no surprise they are struggling. What differentiated them from Dragonsfoot and the OD&D Discussion forums, at least in my mind, was the podcasts and the openness to all editions.

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2018, 03:37:31 AM »

Yeah, I suppose that with the advent of social media sites such as G+ and fb, neither of which I participate in thank you very much, forums have taken a hit.  I guess even with this I'm a bit old school.  I prefer forums over those other offerings.

I'm with you. I'd rather have a dedicated forum than anything on FB or G+. I discuss game design on reddit and rpgnet, though I find it of limited use due to the scarcity of old school designers and players.

I signed onto the discord server the other night. Still haven't spend any time there to figure out if it'll be interesting. Am already annoyed that I can't find a way to stop getting emails about missing comments and such.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:39:02 AM by Pladohs Ghost »
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Offline outlander78

• XP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
Discord isn't for me.  I bet it would be a great collaboration tool for my development work, but I like forums for hobby chats.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Mojo

• XP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
The problem with discord & other sites like it is that there never seems to be anybody on to talk with. Which is a shame because I am looking for help in a project. I put word out on the facebook, discord (different groups), g+ & others only to be ignored. It is frustrating to ask for help & not get any replies. This is also strange to me because not too long ago folks helped each other out.

Anyway that's my 2cents worth. I wonder when my project is ready for money to start going out to artists, lay out designers, & editors if I will still feel alone like I am talking to a wall?
Worry not for the treasure, for it does not worry for you- Brother Broham Dwarvan Cleric of the Forger of Souls.

Offline GrimDM

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 06:54:06 PM »
Obviously I am new here, but forums in general for lots of different hobbies etc are struggling. RPG communities seem to easily splinter as well so only the forums with a large user based like Dragonsfoot seem to be able to whether the storm a bit better.

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
The problem with discord & other sites like it is that there never seems to be anybody on to talk with. Which is a shame because I am looking for help in a project. I put word out on the facebook, discord (different groups), g+ & others only to be ignored. It is frustrating to ask for help & not get any replies. This is also strange to me because not too long ago folks helped each other out.

Start a thread on the community creations board and I'll show up to discuss things.
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Offline mutazoid

• View Profile
    • www.oakvillegamers.com
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 12:14:19 AM »
Really need to fix the log in page.   I cant log in using the top left option which is the first option you get.  When that doesnt work I best most people just say the site isnt working and move on.

Another idea is see if you can a shout out from Libram of the DM.

Good luck ;)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
MY dream is to make an OSR Cafe
(Contact me if you like to kept in the loop when I start developing it)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
ps. I use to be Keith in the forums here before resigning up

Offline LordXenophon

• Lord of the Screen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »
You need a better capcha type. This one is nearly impossible to pass, unless you are a computer.

Besides, Dave Arneson had no sons, so I don't know what to put in that blank.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:34:54 AM by LordXenophon »
Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.