OSRGaming

Author Topic: How to grow the Forums  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Professor thork

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How to grow the Forums
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 01:29:42 AM »
@ Andy--

I would be willing to run a once/week game. (I haven't been to Roll20 in months so I'd have to reacquaint myself with it; skype would be useful.)
But only if 1 or 2 others will commit to it as well; I'd like to play, sometimes.

Offline bbarsh

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
    • pacesettergames.com
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 08:07:40 PM »
For what its worth, I'll add a link in our newsletter. I think we are up to about 1,500 recipients. Not all are OSR gamers (along with publishing we now sell miniatures), but it can't hurt.
Is there a section to upload free products here? I'd certainly load up a couple and point people this way.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:12:34 PM by bbarsh »

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • XP: +1/-0
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 07:11:52 AM »
I would be interested in running one-offs of certain modules. I keep thinking about running a Tomb of Horrors with BFRPG rules (don't know if it can be done). I ran Glory Hole Dwarven Mine with the SoD crew and Doc Mindwipe. I had fun. I wouldn't mind trying doing other JG modules with pregens and BX or BFRPG rules. I've got a few house rules I'd like to test out, too. I'd do it on Roll20 and Skype.

I also have Barrowmaze all set and ready, but that would be a loooong campaign.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 05:27:38 AM »
Not sure I understand the question.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!

Offline Rafael Beltrame

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 08:45:50 AM »
and the sad thing is, the foruns are pretty much dead, right?

Offline angelicdoctor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »

Are they?  I've just returned to the forums after a long hiatus.  I hope that we can continue to discuss the hobby with some regularity and sustained interest.  The podcasts are what should be keeping this going.

Offline Rafael Beltrame

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »

Are they?  I've just returned to the forums after a long hiatus.  I hope that we can continue to discuss the hobby with some regularity and sustained interest.  The podcasts are what should be keeping this going.

i dont know, i mean, i look here, and it seems that no one talks, hehe.
i got here because i was loving the old Save or Die podcast, and went to some save for half ones. now im here, but i dont see much talk

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 12:45:02 AM »
Discussion comes in waves. There'll he quite a bit every few days. It is definitely down from our prime, but forums in general are dying. The wipe last year certainly didn't help.

Offline angelicdoctor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »
Discussion comes in waves. There'll he quite a bit every few days. It is definitely down from our prime, but forums in general are dying. The wipe last year certainly didn't help.

Yeah, I suppose that with the advent of social media sites such as G+ and fb, neither of which I participate in thank you very much, forums have taken a hit.  I guess even with this I'm a bit old school.  I prefer forums over those other offerings.

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +7/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »

Yeah, I suppose that with the advent of social media sites such as G+ and fb, neither of which I participate in thank you very much, forums have taken a hit.  I guess even with this I'm a bit old school.  I prefer forums over those other offerings.
+1... I work online, so I spend enough time on the computer just doing my job and writing. If I added FB or G+, I'd never get anything done. I see how much time of Liz's goes away into the FB trap, and no thanks!

Pity about forums though, but I agree. All the forums I participate in have gone down in post frequency; even dragonsfoot. :(

DM (Good at time management?) Mike

The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline longfoot

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
Part of it could be that the podcasts aren't posted much anymore.
These things run their course over the years, but for the most part, the podcasting isn't what it used to be.
It was good in it's hey-day.

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
Part of it could be that the podcasts aren't posted much anymore.
These things run their course over the years, but for the most part, the podcasting isn't what it used to be.
It was good in it's hey-day.

Hey, I still post Save for Half stuff regularly! ;)

DM (Good at notifying, now if anyone's actually reading...?) Mike

Offline outlander78

• XP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 04:56:09 AM »
I remain a SOD/SFH fan.

It may be that we have mostly exhausted D&D topics.  It has been 20+ years since TSR published something I wanted to read!

I also avoid Facebook etc.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Mojo

• XP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »
I remain a SOD/SFH fan.

It may be that we have mostly exhausted D&D topics.  It has been 20+ years since TSR published something I wanted to read!

I also avoid Facebook etc.

I too am a SOD/SFH fan, as well as Thacco's Hammer, & RFI. I can see how folks can think all topics have been covered, but there is an aspect to gaming that seems to always be overlooked. Adventure design & for those looking to publish new "Old School" adventures lay out. We as a gaming community must not discount the new adventures being published by avid fans of our hobby. An adventure does not have to be from the old TSR to be worth reading. When talking about a topic bring in special hosts or guests that can bring a different view or can go more in depth.
Remember people new to the hobby that have no knowledge or as much knowledge as the hosts listening.

Also maybe it is time to breath new life & blood into some of the podcasts. Meaning bring a fresh & new perspective to not only the hobby, but topics already discussed. Bring excitement back to the podcasts, give the next generation a voice in our hobby.

I know life throws things in the way of release time & recording time for the podcasts. I am not worried about that. What does bother me is the "Been there done that, tired of that" bored sound in some of the announcers' voices. Some sound like they would rather be doing anything other than talking about a hobby that in theory they love.

I do not avoid facebook. I just am not on it that much as getting the final edit of my game design & my disability keep me very occupied. This forum has the potential to be greater than it is or was in the recent past. It is up to us the members of the forum to make it so.
That's my 2 cents worth. Now let me have it with both barrels lol.

mojo
Worry not for the treasure, for it does not worry for you- Brother Broham Dwarvan Cleric of the Forger of Souls.

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
Good points Mojo, though I must say there's still tons of product out there that was published for Classic D&D that haven't been covered. Yet the new material is what most people seem to want reviewed. Besides, Gazeteers are a minefield! :lol:

I've heard a rumor that RFI has been cancelled, but haven't seen any official statements therof. Still there's stuff for 1E (or new 1E friendly/OSRIC work) that could still be covered. I don't listen to TH, lack of time alas so I can't comment there. :(

What strikes me the most is this: Is this forum about the podcasts, or about gaming? If the former, I don't think things will go on much longer; there's lots more conversations about podcasts on FB. Or so I'm told, as I don't go over there. If its about gaming, then maybe we can all strive to get more conversations going in the areas that interest us. For ex: I'm willing to talk a lot about Classic D&D, a bit about 1E, and not much at all about 2E. 5E? Maybe as I'm dipping my toe into it. ;)

DM (Good at Anti-Social Media" Mike