OSRGaming

Author Topic: High-level 1E module with one player?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline DM Keith

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
High-level 1E module with one player?
« on: February 23, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
My son has actually shown interest in several of the high-level 1E modules.  He likes the S-series, and the Greyhawk modules (especially Isle of the Ape).

Would it be fun for him to roll a really high level multi-class character (fighter/spell faster combo, maybe) and run through one of these? Maybe with a badass animal companion?  If so, which one would be best for a one player-one DM game? (And the answer may well be none of them.)

Just thinking out loud here and interested in getting your thoughts.

Thanks,
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:21:03 PM by DM Keith »
"I hate pickles."

Offline Professor thork

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: High-level 1E module with one player?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »
Q 1: Would it be fun?
A : I'm sure most of us at one time or another had wished to do something along these lines. But 'fun' is something only you and he can make happen.

Q 2: (If so,) which one would be best for a one player-one DM game?
A : 'Best' or, easiest (to run)? The S 1-2-3 can certainly be modified to accommodate a single character (and companion). IotA is a grinder, even for adults in a large group. I don't know if it could be easily altered without destroying the wonderfulness of it.

Offline DM Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
A : I'm sure most of us at one time or another had wished to do something along these lines. But 'fun' is something only you and he can make happen.

A : 'Best' or, easiest (to run)? The S 1-2-3 can certainly be modified to accommodate a single character (and companion). IotA is a grinder, even for adults in a large group. I don't know if it could be easily altered without destroying the wonderfulness of it.

1. Point well taken... :)

2. I was hoping for that sweet spot between easy for me to adapt to 1-on-1 while staying as close as possible to the original flavor.  You mention S1-2-3.  Is there some reason S4 might not be a good candidate here?  "Tsojcanth" is one of my all-time favorites.  FWIW, the most fun we ever had in college was "White Plume Mountain".  Also, FWIW, I've never run or played "Isle of the Ape." 
"I hate pickles."

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 06:30:21 PM »

2. I was hoping for that sweet spot between easy for me to adapt to 1-on-1 while staying as close as possible to the original flavor.  You mention S1-2-3.  Is there some reason S4 might not be a good candidate here?  "Tsojcanth" is one of my all-time favorites.  FWIW, the most fun we ever had in college was "White Plume Mountain".  Also, FWIW, I've never run or played "Isle of the Ape."

S1 and S2 are easy to do solo with the right level character and the right equipment. Most fights are already with single creatures. S4 would be doable too if the numbers of monsters in some cases were reduced. Drelzna should be interesting.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Wes

• XP: +1/-0
  • HKoDT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 07:11:37 PM »
The last one-on-one high level Adnd I ran was from a Dungeon Magazine, A Threshold of Evil. Fantastic adventure. Ended up whacking the PC and his friends had to come rescue him. Good times!

To the north there lies a cave....

Offline DM Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »

S1 and S2 are easy to do solo with the right level character and the right equipment. Most fights are already with single creatures. S4 would be doable too if the numbers of monsters in some cases were reduced. Drelzna should be interesting.

Very cool.
I'm leaning toward S2 since it's a dungeon crawl, let him get his feet wet with 1E rules, then give S1 a shot simply because EVERYONE should have a chance to die in S1 :)

"I hate pickles."

Offline DM Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »

The last one-on-one high level Adnd I ran was from a Dungeon Magazine, A Threshold of Evil. Fantastic adventure. Ended up whacking the PC and his friends had to come rescue him. Good times!

Do you remember which issue?
I've never run anything out of "Dungeon"... it was coming into its own as my gaming days were winding down.

"I hate pickles."

Offline Wes

• XP: +1/-0
  • HKoDT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
To the north there lies a cave....

Offline DM Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »
It was in issue 10.

http://www.purpleworm.org/tools/DungeonMagazineIndex.htm

Excellent... and what a great link; that'll be very useful.
Thanks!
"I hate pickles."