OSRGaming

Author Topic: New Conan RPG  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
New Conan RPG
« on: February 20, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »
Anyone checkout the new Conan RPG being Kickstarted by Modiphius?  The system (I.e 2d20) looks interesting. It can generate some success with complication results like the FFG Star Wars game but less frequently and without funky dice. There are a few other interesting mechanics in the game too. There is a Doom pool that players can add to to boost their PCs and then the DM can spend the points to boost NPCs and monsters.

Here is a link to the QuickStart document on DTRPG.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/174829/Robert-E-Howards-CONAN-Roleplaying-Game-Quickstart

It looks interesting enough that I am backing for the PDF.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: New Conan RPG
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:31:07 PM »
I was interested but have heard mixed things about the quickstart. I'll wait until I hear some more, but could be interesting. Isn't there a John Carter/Barsoom one similar to this?

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 02:34:05 AM »
Yes there is a Barsoom / John Carter one from Modiphius but i can not find any product for it yet !

Here are some other Barsoom related ones:

" A Dream of Mars ":
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/132419/A-Dream-of-Mars

" Mars: Shadows of a Dying World ":
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/51403/Edgar-Rice-Burroughs-Mars-Shadows-of-a-Dying-World-An-OGL-Guide-to-Monsters-Races-and-Beasts

" Warriors of the Red Planet ":
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/171363/Warriors-of-the-Red-Planet

Any others ?!

Right now i am looking to branch off to " Warriors of the Red Planet " after taking my group through " S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks " !

Though really i'd like to get all three series above & combine them !

As to Modiphius' Conan i'd love to mix it with the 2 board games from Ares Games & Monolith Board Games, Along with RS1: Red Sonja Unconquered, CB1: Conan Unchained & CB2: swords of Deceit !
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:51:25 PM by Maegnarval »

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:16:30 AM »
I was interested but have heard mixed things about the quickstart. I'll wait until I hear some more, but could be interesting. Isn't there a John Carter/Barsoom one similar to this?

There are some interesting things in the QuickStart but it does seem a little more complicated than it needs to be. However, the John Carter version of the system is suppose to be lighter.

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:23:49 PM »
I downloaded the Quickstart and read through it. Looks like too much superhero in the fantasy for me to want to run it, though it is an interesting system.
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
I downloaded the Quickstart and read through it. Looks like too much superhero in the fantasy for me to want to run it, though it is an interesting system.

If this surprises you then perhaps you are unfamiliar with Conan.

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 06:42:55 PM »

I've read all of Howard's tales and most of those written by other folks, too. Does that count?

I'm not objecting to the setting material--I'm objecting to the game mechanics. Seems to me there are too many powerups built into the system.
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »

I've read all of Howard's tales and most of those written by other folks, too. Does that count?

I'm not objecting to the setting material--I'm objecting to the game mechanics. Seems to me there are too many powerups built into the system.

My point was that Conan was sort if a superhuman so a system designed for Conan should feel a little superheroy.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 08:06:47 AM »
Today is the last day of the KS. I am at the PDF Master pledge level (40 pounds or just under $60) and that currently has 14 books for the new game in PDF and the complete line of d20 Conan books in PDF (never played this so I am not sure how many that will be).

Take a look if you are a Conan fan.