OSRGaming

Poll

What is your favorite class to play from the core Players Handbook?

Cleric
3 (12%)
Druid
0 (0%)
Fighter
5 (20%)
Ranger
4 (16%)
Paladin
3 (12%)
Magic-User
2 (8%)
Illusionist
2 (8%)
Thief
4 (16%)
Assassin
1 (4%)
Monk
0 (0%)
Bard
0 (0%)
I only ever multi-class.
1 (4%)
Why can't I pick something from Unearthed Arcana?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Favorite PHB Class to Play  (Read 8408 times)

Offline lastgrasp

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite PHB Class to Play
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 12:57:56 PM »
Back in my younger days I enjoyed magic-users. As I've gotten older I tend to play a cleric. My last AD&D game I was a cleric. A very versatile class. I don't mind being a support character with decent hp and still do some damage.
Check out my OSR Blog. Random Encounters, New Monster, New Magic Items, and more!

http://creaturespotlight.blogspot.com/

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »
I've gotta say, for a low-level party, being a cleric is definitely where it is out. Armor? Check, Fighting Capability? Check, Spell Casting? Check, Lowish EXP Requirement? Check. Sign me up :)

Offline smblackmon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »
I've gotta say, for a low-level party, being a cleric is definitely where it is out. Armor? Check, Fighting Capability? Check, Spell Casting? Check, Lowish EXP Requirement? Check. Sign me up :)

and don't forget some pretty awesome spells too

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »

You are such a power gamer. :)

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 05:21:47 PM »
Bearing in mind that I've participated as a "player" as opposed to DM fewer than ten times, on each of those occasions I portrayed a cleric. I'm not sure why, but if I had to guess, I would say that since all of those occasions occurred between 1983 and 1987, I was probably trying to compensate for a catholic schoolkid's guilty conscience on some level.
I don't think it worked. Each of them perished in usual sorts of ways, but with a kind of steadfast, galloping stupidity that still makes me cringe.

So, yeah, ditto, ditto, ditto, etc., etc., as per the answers of my esteemed brethren.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:34:38 PM by dmcourtemanche »

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:37 PM »

You are such a power gamer. :)

Hah, thanks FJW. I once nearly got kicked out of a Pathfinder game because I wasn't optimizing my fighter.

Offline Serian

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 09:38:28 PM »

Hah, thanks FJW. I once nearly got kicked out of a Pathfinder game because I wasn't optimizing my fighter.

When playing *real* D&D, "optimizing your fighter" is done via role playing, not by picking stats and special abilities.

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »
Hmm, can't say i have any one particular favorite, as i enjoy cycling through All of the 1st/2nd edition classes.

So far, for like the last 3 years, i've played a paladin, ranger, half-orc war priest, & a mage. For "Beyond the Wall" i played a Clockwork Boy.

Offline Dalfort

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 08:21:23 AM »
My favourite from 1st Ed was the Ranger but I played a Halfling Thief as my first character and moved onto a Dwarven Fighter that died from an Iron Cobra bite in his first adventure and he had a 19 Con!!!

Playing a Bard in first edition required a lot of play time as you had to dual class Fighter then Thief BEFORE starting on the Bard class (alas old age prevents me from quoting the actual levels but F 7th and T 5th spring to mind).

Offline ian54

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 01:12:38 PM »
I like the basic classes, with extreme stats, either a dumb strong Fighter or a weedy quick Thief. The only subclass that ever interested me was the Druid.

Offline Shiftkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »
Fighter is my class of choice. No sneaking around, no praying for miracles, no prancing around chanting ancient mumbo-jumbo; just give me a big weapon and a monster to bury it in!
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline DM Keith

• View Profile
Favorite PHB Class to Play
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »
My first character was a hapless magic-user, with 3 hp, magic missile, but he was a mean man with a dagger.

After that I always DM'ed.

But the few times I've gotten to play, I've played a Ranger. 
It's just a cool class... I always loved Strider in LOTR, and since I like outdoors stuff anyway, it is by far my favorite class.  And they can cast spells, too.
Plus, I'm sneaky.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:27:34 PM by DM Keith »
"I hate pickles."

Julia2207

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 08:28:45 PM »
so it's strong and end stronger
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:45:15 PM by DocMindwipe »

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 09:02:12 PM »
I had to stop and think about it for a bit. The characters I remember most fondly include a couple of clerics, a couple of fighters, a couple of MUs, and an assassin. I reckon my favorite class was the cleric, though usually not one much given to healing.
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Mojo

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2016, 05:52:04 PM »
For whatever weird reason I love playing Rangers. Clerics are my second favorite, followed last by the ole faithful fighter. I would have to say that my least favorite class to play is the ole magic user. Counting the game I am playing in now with Dizzy as DM I have played 2 yes 2 Magic users and both have been named Issac Poe. I only hope this one ends up better then my first one did.

mojo