OSRGaming

Author Topic: Magic-Users & Crossbows  (Read 815 times)

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Magic-Users & Crossbows
« on: January 11, 2020, 09:10:48 PM »
Magic-users can use slings, not crossbows, and even that is an option - the initial rule is daggers only. (I've always wondered why not staves, but that's another topic, and probably one done to death a decade ago ...)

The slings rule is clearly for game balance, because crossbows are much easier to operate. Balance aside, I have trouble with the idea of a klutzy MU twirling a sling whilst unable to understand the complexities of a point-and-shoot weapon.

So - what would be a good trade-off if an MU wants to use a light crossbow? (Strength is a good excuse to block heavy ones.) I was thinking of disallowing XP bonuses for high intelligence - advancing 5% or 10% slower seems reasonable - but I would like to hear your thoughts, as I bet you have much better ideas.

Thanks.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline sgtslag

• View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
Re: Magic-Users & Crossbows
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:30:23 AM »
This was done as part of the "game balance" lunacy.  It makes absolutely no sense, common, or otherwise.  In the modern day, most US States restrict the use of X-bows for hunting game animals, explicitly because it is sooo easy to use, and so deadly -- modern, compound X-bows, that is.  In medieval times, the Papacy even outlawed their use in warfare, as it was too effective, too easy, too deadly!  I believe Gary tried to use a "Disintegrate Spell" on that bit of history, but it made its Saving Throw, and so we still know about it.   ::)

A Sling is an under-valued weapon, IMO, but I play 2e rules, so I don't know what its stat's are in any other version.  It has great Range, and with a lead Bullet, it does a fair amount of Damage when it hits.  The ROF is slow, but it is still a decent, bludgeoning weapon, with excellent range.

As to the X-bow for a Wizard, I say, "Run with it -- it's your game, your rules!"  If you find that it breaks the game balance, change it.  I do not believe it will 'break' your game, in any way.  Aside from all of that, look at what Gary did for the Wizard class, in the 1e Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules...  Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:33:28 AM by sgtslag »
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 06:24:57 AM »
Thanks!
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 01:35:28 AM »
I look at it as a convenience thing. MUs aren't really into fighting, so don't want to invest a whole lot of time in learning to fight or use weapons. Using a crossbow involves carrying a crossbow and quarrels--takes a lot of space and effort for something the MU doesn't care much for. A sling requires very little space in a pouch or pocket, and a bag of stones is much less of a hassle than a crossbow and quarrels.

I think the staff is the natural weapon for MUs, as they likely carry one, anyway. A sling makes a good ranged complement to that.
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Offline Loma

• XP: +3/-0
  • Priestess of Hanali Celanil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »
Yeah. Why would the lowest strength character want to carry such a heavy weapon? That weight would be better used to carry more guano and tuning forks.
Jesus saves and takes half damage.

Offline Alcamtar

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 09:59:15 PM »
Class based damage solves the balance issue. Let a wizard use any weapon they want, but all the weapons d d4 damage.

Crossbows make more sense than slings for magic users, since slings require a great deal of training to be proficient, while crossbows are point-and-shoot. I'd think a magic user is not all that interested in spending their free time in weapons practice, so a crossbow is by far the best missile weapon.