OSRGaming

Author Topic: B2: The Module That Keeps On Giving (Long post, just sharing)  (Read 57 times)

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
B2: The Module That Keeps On Giving (Long post, just sharing)
« on: September 02, 2019, 05:10:33 PM »
Found some old notes from a long-ago session, looks like mid 80's. Let's see if I can sum up this chain of dominoes:

The party kills the kobolds in Cave A.

The orcs in Cave B try to find out what happened to their chew-toys, find them dead, and adopt the goblins in Cave D as their new targets for bullying, which proves to be a bad idea when they call on the ogre in Cave E. They take to attacking targets on the road, so here comes the party and they kill them.

The orcs in Cave C, the dominant of the two groups, wonders what happened to their "subjects". Finding evidence of humans, elves, etc. having attacked the cave, they go for revenge and attack a small caravan headed for the Keep. In come the heroes and the day is saved.

The goblins had a pact with the kobolds to help against the orcs if they got pushy. When the goblin emissary goes to ask why the kobolds didn't answer their earlier call, he discovers the corpses and the goblins blame the lizard-men, sending out a squad of 6 for revenge.

Interlude: A traveler arrives a the keep telling of a mangled child's body at the side of the road. Fearing predators or an ambush, he didn't stick around. The party investigates and finds a young lizard-man corpse with a trail leading to the caves.

As the party enters Cave D, the squad of 6 was doing a little hunting before heading back in. They see the party enter their cave and thus become the wandering monster encounter as they try to find them. The party dispatches the goblins and the ogre from Cave E.

The hobgoblins, alarmed by the lack of activity from their neighbors, go on the alert. A unit waits along the road, only seeing small groups of travelers, nothing that could wipe out anything in the region. They decide to kidnap a merchant and his retinue as bait. It works. Here comes the party and they save the day.

The owlbear in Cave G had long been used to snacking on kobolds and goblins who wandered too close, but there haven't been any for awhile. It emerges from it's cave and menaces the nearby area. The heroes clean up that problem really quick.

The bugbears in Cave H find their dead "pet" and go to lodge a complaint to the hobgoblins, whom they believe killed it. The bugbears were kept in line by the hobgoblins (one of two stabilizing forces in the area), but now they're dead. The bugbears whoop with glee and stage a poorly-planned raid on the Keep, which is handily defeated. They put up a sign looking for anyone who will help them get revenge (hence the sign at the cave entrance). Here comes the party and there go the bugbears.

INTERLUDE: The human captive tells of a cave that will drive anyone crazy. The halls twist and turn on their own and he was barely escaped alive, let alone sane... Yeah, you can see where this is going. He's the Berserker. He winds up snapping in a random encounter (the crazy hermit) and he's gone before you know it.

The party investigates the cave, Cave I, manage to not get lost, and kill the minotaur. Say good-bye to the last stabilizing force in the area.

The gnolls whoop with glee, having long feared the minotaur. They go nuts hacking at everything they see on the road. This is bad news for the cultists who send a disguised messenger to the Keep, a priest (yes, the evil one you meet in the Keep). He puts out word of the gnolls' aggression, hoping the party will deal with them and that will be that.

Except the party finds the secret door that leads to the Temple of Evil Chaos, accidentally frees the medusa, and it's all chaos and anarchy from there. Yeah, they win but I don't think anybody was above 5hp, and the magic-user had badly smoking fingertips from a blundered spell.

And all this just because they decided to kill some kobolds. I just LOVE finding old game notes!

Got any old notes that make good stories? (Pours the ale for everyone..)
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline sgtslag

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
Re: B2: The Module That Keeps On Giving (Long post, just sharing)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:15:00 AM »
I have quite a lot of notes, dating back to the 1990's.  My group of players quickly learned that NPC's met today, will come back in the future, at some point, so they began taking copious notes, so they could remember people, places, and things.

Fast forward to the 2000's.  My son is playing an Elf Templenaught (Specialty Priest, in my game -- they're all Specialty Priests...).  His Elf serves the same deity as one of my players from the 1990's.  She, too, was an Elf.  One of my players from the 1990's is part of my current group, which includes my son's PC.  I shared with my son how much his PC reminds me of the gal from the 1990's.  The guy who came forward, from the 1990's, wanted to play his same PC, so I said, "OK, he suffered a weird magical explosion, which propelled him 300 years into the future, which is the date this game is running at.  We'll cover the details when, and if, it becomes relevant."

My son says to me, one day, "Wouldn't it be neat if my character was the son of Ronje', the Templenaught from the 1990's?!?!"  I say, "Yeah, that could be a lot of fun.  I could mess with Chuck (Plays the mage PC who was catapulted 300 years forward in time)..."

Chuck can be abrasive, and even abusive, in a joking manner, towards other PC's, in the game.  He did this almost to the breaking point, with Ronje', back in the 1990's.

The current PC group ended up visiting an Elven Kingdom, which my son's PC is an ambassador for, to several nearby kingdoms, and a valued member of the Royal Elven Court.  I described how the group meets a female Elf, wearing a hooded cloak -- they can't see her face.  I described how Chuck's PC feels that the female Elf is strangely familiar, but he can't place her.  Finally, she removes her hood:  it is none other than Ronje'!!!  She is now around 500 years old.  I speak on her behalf, recounting that she remembers him, from centuries earlier.  He pales a little.  She regales the King and Queen with stories of how he was insulting, and even degrading towards her, 300 years earlier (she is now very old, and a very respected, and honored, member of the Royal Court).  My son relates how Chuck's PC rushed to his fallen brother's side (Ronje's other, now dead, son...), to fill potion bottles with his blood for making Potions of Longevity (Elf blood is a key ingredient, per the 1e DMG)!!!  Chuck has now turned ghost white:  he realizes instantly that his PC is about to be killed for crimes for which there is no escape from...  He is squirming in his chair because he knows what he has done, is terrible, and unforgivable, atrocities against the entire race of Elves -- the entire Court of Elves gasped at the tales of his misdeeds!

Ronje' (played by me) grants him forgiveness; my son also chooses to forgive him, as executing his PC would cause irreparable harm to the gaming friendships, and Chuck would never be comfortable playing with us again.  He was visibly squirming in his seat, for several minutes.  He knew there was no way out; he knew he had behaved very, very  badly, in the 1990's, and in the past 8 years of gaming with his current group.

In some ways, I would have very much enjoyed giving his character what he deserved, and it would have cleaned up a mess I created by allowing him to bring that character forward in time -- it was a moment of weakness, on my part, which I have regretted for over a decade.

I wish I could say that Chuck has learned his lesson, and his behavior has improved.  Unfortunately, it has improved only slightly.  Next time, I doubt that I will be so gentle with his characters.

To be honest, we have used the notes from the 1990's a few times.  The current PC's have revisited "dungeons" from the earlier campaign as they cropped up in the story-line again!  The 1990's group visited a sunken city, built by the ancient race, which was plunged deep within the earth by the gods as punishment, 3,000 years earlier.  They were searching for two artifacts; they found a third, which they had not known existed.  They were extremely disappointed to have to destroy it:  it contained magic spells from the god of magic, which he had shared with the ancient race.  It contained spells beyond 9th level.  They had to destroy it, without looking inside of it -- it was forbidden, and the penalty was death, from a bolt out of the sky...  I remembered that they were too late to find the one artifact which they had been sent to find and destroy:  a group of evil Templenaughts had visited the sunken city, two weeks ahead of them, running off with the artifact.  The PC's later visited the site where the Templanaughts had taken the artifact to, and they were able to destroy it there.

Then, in the 2010's, the current group needed to re-visit the same sunken city, for different reasons.  They were not searching for artifacts, but if they discovered any, that would be a real boon to their main reason for going there.

It was eerie to re-visit that adventure site, for both me, and for Chuck, who gamed it back in the 1990's.  I spruced it up, and I created a map of it, which I had not needed, the first time:  I described it using ToM only.  This time, however, they needed a tactical map.  It also had been embellished with features which I never had in the 1990's.  It was a lot of fun to re-use it again.

I had to ask Chuck for his notes from the 1990's, because I could not remember the fate of one particular artifact:  I needed to know if he and his 1990's group recovered it...  He found his notes, and he had documented the discovery, and the destruction, of the artifact in question.  I doubted its truthfulness, at first, but as I re-read his notes, I recognized my deviousness, in how it had been hidden, and I vaguely remembered the adventure, as he had written it.  His 25-year-old notes closed a door for me, as I had been plotting on bringing that artifact to the forefront of the campaign.  Alas, it is gone.  I'll need to come up with another, equally dangerous, and frightening plot device to scare the <bleep!> out of them...  Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:01:47 AM by sgtslag »
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!