OSRGaming

Author Topic: 5e campaigns  (Read 128 times)

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • XP: +1/-0
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
5e campaigns
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »
Just wondering out loud here. I've been playing 5e with a school group and everything we've played has been from the WOTC stable of adventures in the Forgotten Realms. It's fun, but I don't want to read 50 pages of history just so I can go and kill some orcs. Is there anyone out there just making or running adventures that aren't tied to these official backgrounds? Does anyone else dislike this FR overkill? Am I just a grumpy Monk?
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!

Offline sgtslag

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
Re: 5e campaigns
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »
I played one 2e AD&D session being run in the FR setting, recently...  The maps are amazing, but it is likely the most detailed fantasy game setting, to date, even surpassing, IMO, Harn.  I cringed, looking at the FR maps, considering them from a DM's perspective...  It's all detailed out, and before I could really begin modifying it, I would need to familiarize myself with the whole, so that I understood it fully, to begin massaging it without destroying it, and contradicting it per the published materials...

I've been running my own game world since I mapped it out back in 1983.  I've amassed a lot of "documentation" on my game world, by playing in it for the past 35 years, but most of the "documentation", is in my head, not on paper.

By running my own game world, which I create (very much on the fly, during game play, with the Players assisting me in defining it...), I am in full control over it.  My players help shape it, through play, so they take ownership of it, as well, which has value, and meaning, to them.  They feel comfortable in it, and that they own it, to an extent, shaping its history, as they play.  I don't see that so much in published settings which are so detailed, such as FR.

YMMV.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:25:33 PM by sgtslag »
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!

Offline Greymist

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
You're definitely being grumpy...bordering on curmudgeonly!  ;)

I'm currently playing in a monthly 5E game at a wargaming club. The DM is using a mash-up of Adventurer's League modules from the Dragons campaign. While the group is in Phlan on the Moonsea in the Forgotten Realms the only piece of Realmslore that has been brought up in the game was some background that I created for my PC - and it is absolutely pure fluff with no gaming consequences at all.

I assume that you will not be gaming with this group of school kids for years, so ignoring the Realmsian background should not be much different than my game. Use the place names and the gorgeous maps and ignore everything else. And if that does not work, there are LOTS of free or Pay What You Want modules online. A search for 'Free 5E Modules' brings up tons of hits. I suggest starting with Merric Blackman's list of 5E adventures, sorted by level and marked as free, pay what you want, or otherwise.

I DM'd my first 5E game for my daughter and my friend, and his son (first time ever playing D&D for the kids) a couple of weeks ago and I used "A Most Potent Brew" as the starting module - at the recommendation of my DM. A lot of fun for the first timers and it was completely setting-generic.

Good luck.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
I have been playing 5e since it came out and the only official 5e adventures I have run have been the starter set and a couple from the Yawning Portal book. I mostly run old 1e/basic adventures from the 80s with 5e.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »
I forgot to mention that we did a little Star Wars RPGing in there some where.