OSRGaming

Author Topic: 5e campaigns  (Read 443 times)

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • XP: +1/-0
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
5e campaigns
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »
Just wondering out loud here. I've been playing 5e with a school group and everything we've played has been from the WOTC stable of adventures in the Forgotten Realms. It's fun, but I don't want to read 50 pages of history just so I can go and kill some orcs. Is there anyone out there just making or running adventures that aren't tied to these official backgrounds? Does anyone else dislike this FR overkill? Am I just a grumpy Monk?
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!

Offline sgtslag

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
Re: 5e campaigns
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »
I played one 2e AD&D session being run in the FR setting, recently...  The maps are amazing, but it is likely the most detailed fantasy game setting, to date, even surpassing, IMO, Harn.  I cringed, looking at the FR maps, considering them from a DM's perspective...  It's all detailed out, and before I could really begin modifying it, I would need to familiarize myself with the whole, so that I understood it fully, to begin massaging it without destroying it, and contradicting it per the published materials...

I've been running my own game world since I mapped it out back in 1983.  I've amassed a lot of "documentation" on my game world, by playing in it for the past 35 years, but most of the "documentation", is in my head, not on paper.

By running my own game world, which I create (very much on the fly, during game play, with the Players assisting me in defining it...), I am in full control over it.  My players help shape it, through play, so they take ownership of it, as well, which has value, and meaning, to them.  They feel comfortable in it, and that they own it, to an extent, shaping its history, as they play.  I don't see that so much in published settings which are so detailed, such as FR.

YMMV.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:25:33 PM by sgtslag »
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!

Offline Greymist

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
You're definitely being grumpy...bordering on curmudgeonly!  ;)

I'm currently playing in a monthly 5E game at a wargaming club. The DM is using a mash-up of Adventurer's League modules from the Dragons campaign. While the group is in Phlan on the Moonsea in the Forgotten Realms the only piece of Realmslore that has been brought up in the game was some background that I created for my PC - and it is absolutely pure fluff with no gaming consequences at all.

I assume that you will not be gaming with this group of school kids for years, so ignoring the Realmsian background should not be much different than my game. Use the place names and the gorgeous maps and ignore everything else. And if that does not work, there are LOTS of free or Pay What You Want modules online. A search for 'Free 5E Modules' brings up tons of hits. I suggest starting with Merric Blackman's list of 5E adventures, sorted by level and marked as free, pay what you want, or otherwise.

I DM'd my first 5E game for my daughter and my friend, and his son (first time ever playing D&D for the kids) a couple of weeks ago and I used "A Most Potent Brew" as the starting module - at the recommendation of my DM. A lot of fun for the first timers and it was completely setting-generic.

Good luck.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
I have been playing 5e since it came out and the only official 5e adventures I have run have been the starter set and a couple from the Yawning Portal book. I mostly run old 1e/basic adventures from the 80s with 5e.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »
I forgot to mention that we did a little Star Wars RPGing in there some where.

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 12:01:52 PM »
Just wondering out loud here. I've been playing 5e with a school group and everything we've played has been from the WOTC stable of adventures in the Forgotten Realms. It's fun, but I don't want to read 50 pages of history just so I can go and kill some orcs. Is there anyone out there just making or running adventures that aren't tied to these official backgrounds? Does anyone else dislike this FR overkill? Am I just a grumpy Monk?

Like you, I don't want to read a novel before I can play a dungeon. Just give me a light dusting of the area and who the main players are for the game. A quick note or two about major personalities who make up the background is fine.

I start all of my campaign worlds small and make up the rest as we go. I have a world called Mundus that remains largely unexplored. The focus of the action is along the border of two kingdoms, Foxvale and Ironwood, with forays into a region called Maag Kriev, a rocky, barren wasteland populated by all kinds of nasties.

Ironwood has a pretty detailed history of kings and back-stabbing successions. The far northern pat has most of the industry, the central part is largely farmlands, and the southern part (which borders Maag Kriev) is largely mining. Foxvale is separated from Ironwood by a mountain range that Foxvale pretty much owns. Even though parts of it are geographically in Ironwood, Foxvale has teams all the way to the base, well within Ironwood borders. Foxvale is largely pastoral but does a good amount of trade with it's neighbors to the north and east (Somner, Ukagaho, and Brevon). Between the two kingdoms, Foxvale is far superior militarily, technologically, and economically.

To the south of both kingdoms is the xenophobic land of Tumalare. There is very little foreign influence that way, and so far the group hasn't gone there. Other unexplored lands are Alkariv, the Sarval Wastelands, Thura Hold, Elternwood, Vir, Lassa, Kopeckna, Ulan, The Crown Lands (a powerful kingdom that owns Ukagaho), and Koravath. I've done very little development on these lands as the party has never gone there.

Of the lands on my map, I like Brevon the best. The people are western European in appearance, but culturally the place a territory of an as-yet unnamed Oriental-influenced land. I draw a lot of their customs, etc. from my Kara-Tur boxed set. When we run games in this campaign world, the guys call Breon "D&D: The Chuck Norris Edition"!

Like I said, I'm making a lot this up as the campaigns here go. One element I put in that is optional if anybody wants to lift this creation of mine to their own worlds is an aspect I call "The Kingdom of Rust". Some of my players like post-apocalyptic visions, so I created a story of many advanced civilizations rising and falling over the generations. Every now and then the party finds themselves in such ruins. Many are damaged beyond recognition, but some are overgrown and, to a degree as needed by the story, still functioning. One of my favorite adventures involved a hidden cave with strange runes over the entrance. The runes, quite legible to our real-world eyes, read "Uncle Klutzy's Fun House of Horrors". Let's just say "...and a good time was had by all!"
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 10:49:10 AM »
I agree that I don’t need or want detailed game worlds to play in. That material is helpful to steal ideas from but I don’t want to be beholden to someone else’s stories.

The 5e adventures would be easy enough to run with what is just in the adventure. If any of your players are Realms purist just make sure they understand that things your Realms and assume nothing is canon unless it is stated in the game.

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • XP: +1/-0
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I like the new iteration of D&D, but unlike when I started playing back in the day with BX and AD&D (even with the TSR modules), it seems like I need to have a masters in FR history to play. WOTC really seems fixed on the FR. It's this sort of detail that sort of turns me off of playing Pathfinder with a local group of (good) folks. I don't have a clue (or want it, frankly) about factions and guilds and blah, blah, blah.... Just point me towards the adventure!
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!