OSRGaming

Author Topic: Temporal Damage = Kinetic Damage?  (Read 69 times)

Offline dramaman

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Temporal Damage = Kinetic Damage?
« on: September 30, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »
Some superpowers, such as Armor and Etherealness, refer to temporal damage, while others, such as blast references kinetic damage. Am I right in thinking that temporal and kinetic are synonymous both basically meaning physical damage, as opposed to energy (heat, electricity, etc) damage or other non-physical damage? One of my players was unhappy when I told her that her Ethereal form was still vulnerable to heat damage.
Gnomes are cool. Gnome Illusionist Thieves are WAYYY cool!

Offline sgtslag

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
Re: Temporal Damage = Kinetic Damage?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
Take a look at the Ghost monster entry, in the Monster Manual:  they are Ethereal, with a negative AC (1e/2e rules), but, if the PC's confront the Ghost on the Ethereal Plane, they are AC 10, and easy to kill.

To your player's point, heat damage is on the Prime Material Plane, not the Ethereal Plane.  She should have been afforded at least the same protection the Ghost gets.  The only reason the Ghost is able to to be attacked in limited ways (normally, she would not be visible to anyone on the Prime Material, without using magic to see into the Ethereal Plane; some magic weapons will reach into the Ethereal Plane, but only if they are stat'ed to do so, in the DMG, or by DM fiat), is that it is on the near-Ethereal Plane, basically touching the barrier between the Ethereal Plane, and the Prime Material Plane.  If the PC is in the near-Ethereal, then she can be attacked (only by weapons which can reach across the barrier, see above), but if she withdraws from the interface between the two Planes, she is not affected by anything in the Prime Material, nor can she see into the Prime Material anymore, either.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:36:56 PM by sgtslag »
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!

Offline DMMike

• XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:24:05 AM »
Some superpowers, such as Armor and Etherealness, refer to temporal damage, while others, such as blast references kinetic damage. Am I right in thinking that temporal and kinetic are synonymous both basically meaning physical damage, as opposed to energy (heat, electricity, etc) damage or other non-physical damage?

Ok, assume the usual "This is not official, its just what I do in my home game, etc." bit!

As for Temporal and Kinetic... Temporal refers to all sorts of damage in the physical world. Bullets, burning, blades, cold, etc.; that's Temporal damage. Kinetic is a type of Temporal damage but isn't the whole shebang. Thus someone with Absorption Kinetic can't simply absorb all Temporal damage; just Kinetic types. If s/he wants to absorb all Temporal damage they can, but it costs a lot more in power ranks.

One of my players was unhappy when I told her that her Ethereal form was still vulnerable to heat damage.

Again this is just IMO and isn't "official"....but I would've sided with your player regarding the heat damage. IMC, Etherialness avoids all Temporal damage and only Mystic (Magick-Psychic-etc.) would do damage; as noted by the poster above.

Part of Victorious's acclimation with the Siege Engine is to take such semi-AD&D rules into account. However, since in Victorious most SuperMankind are Superhantural, they count as magic weapons and can hit creatures like demons that normally can only be hit by magic weapons. Etherial though, that's incorporeal and thus special powers are needed to hit them.

In your chronicle, you could make a ruling that Elemental forces (Fire, Water, electricity-wind) can damage Etherial beings; but I'd suggest they take only half damage. At least get a Save for Half<TM)! :lol:

BTW, did your Tuesday game get going? I passed word around as best I could. I'd have joined myself, but I have to do office hours Tuesday nights for my classes. !@#$ students!

HTH,

GM (Good at the worst timing) Mike

The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline sgtslag

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »
Sorry folks, did not see that this is referring to the "Victorious" game rules.  Thanks.  Cheers!
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!