OSRGaming

Author Topic: Goblins, Goblins, Goblins!  (Read 52 times)

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Goblins, Goblins, Goblins!
« on: September 03, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »
We were playing a home adaptation of "Keep On the Shadowfell", converting it from 4e to 5e. The party had gone through the entire first level of the Keep, or so they had thought. While looking at the map, they noticed that they had missed two rooms early on. Because I had to substitute monsters (including replacing the kruthik with a psychotic Spectator beholder), the party had advanced a little faster than I anticipated and were now level 3. No big deal. But that's where the fun began.

After realizing they left an unknown behind them at the beginning of the dungeon, they decided to go mop up before heading on down "lest anything bite us in the butt". Besides, on player mused out-of-character, that far back they're probably looking at level 1 monsters at best. They dispatched room 2, four goblins and a hobgoblin, with the anticipated ease. The only other room, room 4, was a goblin barracks. So they made a sneak check, saw the two goblins at the table... and missed the sniping attempt.

"Then a goblin in the dark
Gave a shout of 'BREE-YARK!"
And it turned into a Dungeon Blitz!
Dungeon Blitz!
Dungeon Blitz!"
(Apologies to The Damned and to Sweet)

Even playing Balgron the Fat by the book, the goblins nearly wiped up the dungeon with the party. Nobody seemed able to hit anything, but the goblins were spot on with ranged attacks, closing only when they had to. Several serious flesh-wounds later the party was finally victorious, if you can call it that. Their confident "mop-up" operation now has them limping back to town because it took all of their healing potions and spells to stay alive.

Overconfidence has killed more PCs than any ambush or trap!
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: Goblins, Goblins, Goblins!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:27:58 PM »
SK, what a cool way that turned back on the players! Never go in expecting the cakewalk. I also loved that Dungeon Blitz rewrite. Great war story! I love reading these :)