OSRGaming

Author Topic: Oldhammer and OSR, is there any crossover?  (Read 115 times)

Offline Samoht the brave

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Oldhammer and OSR, is there any crossover?
« on: August 16, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »
Hey dudes, new guy here.
I've been a fan of the OSR for about 5 years now.
While going to used game auctions and secondhand sales for older RPG stuff, I often find old warhammer figures and just plain older figs from other companies. Before too long, I was running retroclones and Rules cyclopedia with Grenadier, Mithril, Ral Partha, Marauder and even Prince August figures.
In other places like oldhammer communites I've seen people run older games of warhammer using non-citadel miniatures, but not many running RPG's with these distinct sculpts. Sadly in the local area, nobody uses metal figures, let alone sculpts from the past.
Does anybody specifically like to use older figures with retro games?
All hail the might bookshelf!

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
Re: Oldhammer and OSR, is there any crossover?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 11:10:22 AM »
Hello, and welcome!

I use my old figs from the late 70s-80s when minis are necessary, but I usually do the Theatre of the Mind technique. One problem I've had (and ranted about on the SFH podcast) is that minis from BITD tended to be true 25mm's while today's figs tend to be 28-32mm. Not a big deal for monsters, but character figs make the old ones look like midgets! Ok, not that bad, but still!

I got rid of my old WH40k Space Marines (pig-faced bascinets) several years ago, and kind of regret their loss. I've got WHF orks, which I use as hobgoblins due to the size but they're still useable.

Yeah, it seems like WHRPG seems to be a niche of a niche.

DM (Good at keeping it Old School, even the minis!) Mike

PS: DM Carl (Save or Die host) has used OS grenadier figs when he's run Holmes Basic...I've played in his games at NTXRPG Con!

M.
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline DocMindwipe

• Administrator
  • XP: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Oldhammer and OSR, is there any crossover?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »
For muself, I've never been into the minis.

Sure, painted by a good artist they are works of art, but I personally don't really feel they enhance my gameplay. Rather, in fact, I feel the usage of minis slows the game down.

That said, the 5th ed game I play in onThursdays, the DM is very heavy into minis and insisted that I at least used one, if not actually got one for me character.

He did paint her though.... and she's gorgeous ;)

Apart from that, I don't really have an opinion on old vs new style minis..... as long as people are happy, they're doing it right ;)