OSRGaming

Author Topic: Have You Ever NOT Rolled For A Result?  (Read 390 times)

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Have You Ever NOT Rolled For A Result?
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »
Have you ever had a player describe an action his PC was taking that was so crafty that you decided to just let it work without rolling for a result? You know, something so creative and entertaining that even as DM you wanted to see it work?

Example: The rest of the party had noticed the dragon waking up, stuffed what gold they could into their pockets, and ran. The Thief (this was 1e) was still stuffing his pockets, having failed to notice the dragon, and angry Red. The dragon made his presence known with an indignant "Ahem!" When the Thief realized his predicament (he would never be able to outrun the dragon's breath weapon), he offered to bargain for his life by showing the dragon a magic trick, and if he had never seen it before, then the Thief could leave with his life. The dragon agreed, having been old enough to know every magic trick in the book. The Thief unfurled the leathery map the party had been following, spread it out on a pile of gold and sat cross legged on it, acting like a mystic from India. He then picked up the leading edge of the map and announced his "ancient magic words", said "Bye-bye" and sledded like a shot down the pile of gold and out the door.

Okay, in a hard-nosed campaign he probably would have been smoked by the dragon before he reached the exit. But this move was so straight out of a light-hearted fantasy movie, even drawing applause from the other players, that I described the dragon staring confusedly at the empty space, thin tendrils of smoke curling upwards from his nostrils, saying "I don't get it."

Any overly creative players out there do something that you decided not to spoil with a dice roll?
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline sgtslag

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
Re: Have You Ever NOT Rolled For A Result?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
Yes, on a few occasions, when it was just too good not to accept.  I've fudged dice rolls which contradicted the mood of the game, as well.  "Dice are like guidelines, really."  An infamous mis-quote from one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies from the past...  Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:14:37 PM by sgtslag »
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!