OSRGaming

Author Topic: A DM wife is a good wife...  (Read 1532 times)

Offline sirtomas1

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
A DM wife is a good wife...
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »
Salvete, Amici!

So after twelve years as a player, my wife has finally decided to try her hand as the DM.  Her campaign world of choice is the Dark Albion setting, by RPG Pundit.  Her game system is Adventures Dark & Deep by Joseph Bloch.  Anyone here tried Dark Albion yet?  If so, what were your reactions?  Is it an immersive setting? 

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Bonam fortunam,
--
      Sirtomas1

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: A DM wife is a good wife...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »
Dark Albion is the setting that is supposed to be set during the War of the Roses correct? I've been interested in picking it up, but I haven't done so yet. I've heard lots of good things though! That is awesome though. Props to your wife!

Offline sirtomas1

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A DM wife is a good wife...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:42:31 PM »
It is indeed set during the War of the Roses, a turbulent 30-year time period in which the monarchy of England (Albion) will shift five times.  There are several larger-than-life women and men in the era, including the grandparents of Henry VIII and the folks who will shape the country's history during the 16th century.  Unlike most "generic middle ages" of other settings, this late medieval environment can sport early, crude cannon (called "bombasts" at this point).  Individual firearms are still a century in the future, but armies have these gunpowder barrels that can aid in siege warfare.  I could imagine an adventure hook in which the party aims to stop either the Yorks or the Lancasters from making a deal with a foreign power to bring in such technology.  It could very well turn the entire tide of the Rose War. 

What I like about Dark Albion is that it begs for a low-powered, all human campaign with humbler goals than world domination.  It screams for an OSR game system, and even suggests the DM remove go-to spells like Fireball or Lightning Bolt.  I'm personally making an Illusionist character, just because I always thought the 1E/ADD version had a bit more flavor than the AD&D 2E iteration, even though it's a challenging class to keep relevant in an adventuring party.  The class might still need some tweaking though; my biggest problem with it in original 1E was that it really wasn't that different from the magic user (mage), except that it had all the same weaknesses with an even lower selection of spells.  The class needs a bit more spice, a different philosophy of magick that makes it feel different than the instrument of fire, lightning and ice spells to which we're accustomed. 

There's a strong infernal component to it too, with demon possession and deals with demons being a strong possibility.  That's about all I know at this point, because my wife won't let me look at the book in any detail, LOL.  She's keeping the Fiend Folio (1980) for herself too, making it one of the only 1E AD&D tomes I haven't been able to peruse at leisure.  But it keeps up my suspense and eagerness to play!

I'll pass on the congrats to the wife.  :)
--
      Sirtomas1