OSRGaming

Author Topic: Red Steel? (Plus Dwarves of a Different Flavor)  (Read 499 times)

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Red Steel? (Plus Dwarves of a Different Flavor)
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
I've never played in this world before. Looking over the stuff the DM handed us, it appears to have a US Southwestern or Northern Mexico flavor. Based on this assumption, I've started creating a Dwarf PC, but not the typical Germanic named fellow with a Scottish accent. I decided to draw form my own ancestry and created what one of the guys calls Mexidwarves, Dwarves with a definite Hispanic flavor. I haven't decided on what they call themselves, but gave them the local name of "Gorditos", or "Little Fat Ones". They are not necessarily hung up on decorating their beards, but the women (gorditas) do appreciate a guy with a full, lush one. The DM seemed to like the idea of a more local flavor for Dwarves than the typical Eurocentric variety, so Pancho de la Barba has been accepted.

But I've never played Red Steel before. Any insights or things I should be aware of? And what do you guys think of Tortles? They seem kind of weird to me.
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline RobJN

• XP: +1/-0
  • Dire Flumph
    • View Profile
    • Thorn's Chronicle
Re: Red Steel? (Plus Dwarves of a Different Flavor)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »
Hold on to your sombrero, here are some links:

You can find the Odyssey line in PDF format at the Vaults of Pandius. These were released online through the file libraries at TSR's AOL site. Thankfully, they've been made into nicely readable PDFs by the fandom. This was basically a rehash of the material in the 2e Red Steel and Savage Baronies boxed sets, with additional material added on but never previously published. (Monster Manual, and Orc's Head Peninsula)

There is also a sub-forum at the Piazza. Havard's sticky post at the top includes a nicely compiled a list of sites and downloads.

If you have access to Dragon Magazines, Bruce Heard's Voyages of the Princess Ark series expanded on the material in the original X9 module in  issues 174 onward. It's been a while since I cracked open the big box, but much of this material may be reproduced in the Champions of Mystara boxed set.

Thorf has remastered the maps into a beautiful Trail Map
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Blog | On Facebook | G+

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Red Steel? (Plus Dwarves of a Different Flavor)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 08:54:38 AM »
Awesome! Having spent more than a little of my life in Arizona and steeped in Navajo and Apache lore, and having more than my share of banditos and pistoleros in my family (including outlaw Augustino Chacon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_Chacon ), I think I can bring a touch of authenticity to this setting. After all, most of these guys have never been further west than Ohio!
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game