OSRGaming

Author Topic: Volume 5 Issue 174 - Round Table Talk – Community Hot Topics!  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
  • XP: +101/-0
  • “We can't stop here, this is bat country!”
    • View Profile
Volume 5 Issue 174 - Round Table Talk – Community Hot Topics!
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:51:27 AM »
Via iTunes, your favorite RSS feed or via link
http://rfipodcast.com/show/2016/02/10/volume-5-issue-174-round-table-talk-community-hot-topics/

Join Vince this week as he is joined by two special guests from the gaming community to chat about the various topics that are seen on Facebook and talked about in the gaming community.

Special Guests:

– Timothy Brannan, writer and blogger of the Otherside blog
– Erik Tenkar, Blogger of Tenkar’s Tavern.

Topics:
Dungeon Mastering?
– Is charging for seats in a local game (none conventions) fair or just greedy?
– charging to teach newbies how to play and be a DM?

Patreon/Kickstarters?
– playing a simple AD during a podcast is enough, but asking and throwing in plugs more then once is that over doing it?
– Are Kickstarters hurting the hobby or helping?

Buying Books?
– Amazon vs Local Store

Forums vs Social media platforms?
– Which is more helpful vs less informative
– Which encourages more interaction and thoughtful comments?

Links on today’s show:
The Otherside Blog – theotherside.timsbrannan.com/
Tenkar’s Tavern – Tenkarstavern.com
James Spahn’s White Star – www.rpgnow.com/product/148169/White-Star-White-Box-Science-Fiction-Roleplaying-Swords–Wizardry?src=hottest&affiliate_id=1446

Tim’s new book:

Sisters of the Aquarian Order – Coming soon to RPGNOW.com

Please consider support our show on Patreon.com/WGP for as little as $1 a month!
Email us at RFIStaff@gmail.com for questions or comments!
Send us a voicemail, 570-865-4210, where we now have Goblins standing by!
Vincent Florio
Executive Producer of WGP Family of Podcasts
570-865-4210

Offline tonybravo

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 5 Issue 174 - Round Table Talk – Community Hot Topics!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:40:33 PM »
Just finished listening to this..... great program guys.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 09:39:58 PM »
Have to say I also enjoyed this! Listened to it on my jog today.

I cannot imagine paying to play in someones game, or being paid to run a game. Seems ridiculous. I did have one of my players with too much money once ask me to quit my job so I could run everyday and he'd pay me. Never did it though.

If I had a local gamestore that sold any osr stuff I'd drive out their and support it, but as it is I just buy online. I used to support my FLGS back when I had a ton near my house, but I don't have any nearby really anymore.

I don't think kickstarters are hurting the hobby, but I think you all had some great points. I would suggest starting your publishing career on OBS or something.

Forums sadly have been on the way out. I really like the format personally and want to keep them going, but I know there will come a day when we'll probably have to close our doors too. Hopefully not for a long while at least.

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +13/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:35:14 AM »
Good show, though I miss Nick, Sal, Matt's input. ;)

I know I'm kinda OS in my use of the "Internets" but I hadn't heard these controversies before. I assume they're mostly FB or G+?

I knew a guy back in the late 1990s that had charged to DM when he lived in Greece, but I never knew if the amount he charged was worth the effort. <shrug> I can't see doing it myself, but if someone can do it and have people return to his table to pay to play then more power to them. <shrug>

Like Dizzy I'd like to support my local FLGS but since I tend to mostly buy OSR product the support can't be anything but marginal. Fortunately my local store is also a comic book store so Liz can support without us buying the latest and greatest RPG product.

KS is a two edged sword. For small to mid level publishers its a Godsend because they don't have to risk investing in a product that might not sell. They know right out the gate if there's demand for a product or not. On the other hand it does open up the doors to fraud <cough Ken W. cough!> but its the nature of the beast. In fact if you look at old RPG/Wargame mags from the 70s and 80s you can see a similar problem with either preordering product that never appears or buying "lifetime" subscriptions to mags that go out of business in a year or two.  SPI was bad about this and they were the second largest publisher of Wargames in the 1970s and one of the big 3 in RPGs in the late 70s-early 80s.

I will agree that thanks to the Interwebbies its probably a bigger $$$ in the loss due to fraud but the concept (and danger) isn't that new.

DM (Good at avoiding lifetime subs to anything) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »
Thanks guys! Glad everyone enjoyed.

Good show, though I miss Nick, Sal, Matt's input. ;)

I know I'm kinda OS in my use of the "Internets" but I hadn't heard these controversies before. I assume they're mostly FB or G+?

Mike, yes a lot of activity are now more so on Facebook and reddit areas now. Forums are much like Andy said, a thing of the past.

Vincent Florio
570-865-4210

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 12:18:17 PM »
I at least try to be active on G+, and a bit on facebook, but these controversies always slip by me. I'm not sure how I always miss them. Maybe I've just made good choices in who I've added xD

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +13/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 02:37:34 PM »
Don't feel bad Dizzy, Liz is far more active on FB than me...and she missed 'em too! ;)

DM (Good at leaving FB to his wife) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »
Great show gents. Amazon is the way to go for me. Nearest game store is an hour away for me. No mail order. My problem with KS are those who are already in the industry who have made their names known through their design work and yet ask the community for money for their pet products. Are they not already well connected?  MC I'm looking at you. I believe the platform is best for the relatively unknown trying to get a kickstart to their entrepreneurial endeavors. My two ep's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »
Great show gents. Amazon is the way to go for me. Nearest game store is an hour away for me. No mail order. My problem with KS are those who are already in the industry who have made their names known through their design work and yet ask the community for money for their pet products. Are they not already well connected?  MC I'm looking at you. I believe the platform is best for the relatively unknown trying to get a kickstart to their entrepreneurial endeavors. My two ep's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think the established companies use the KS's as a promotional tool & to hand out exclusives to Pledgers on a product's initial run.

Offline ian54

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 06:00:50 AM »
Nice episode, I just got round to finishing it. Some interesting conversations and views.

I would think that paying a DM is somewhat like joining a gym instead of running round the block. For some people, having to pay makes them put in the effort, a kind of psychological incentive. There is obviously a market for it and for some it may be quite helpful. Perhaps if you have a good circle of like minded and dedicated friends you regularly play with it wont be perceived as anything but a bit of a scam, but not everyone has the luxury of knowing the right people.

The basic premise of "crowd funding" is to spread the initial business risk and have some assurance that the costs are covered.There is nothing wrong with an established company raising funds this way as the product is probably something they'd not risk themselves (from a business point of view) as there is a unknown number who would buy it, they normally don't find this out until the funding project starts. Crowd funding has a nice appeal as being part of the project. I've personally backed Ogre Designers Edition and T5 because they were games from my early days and certainly not because I though Mr Jackson and Mr Miller are short of ready cash - really it was just to get my name on it, literally in the case of  Ogre's massive box, which is now stored unplayed under my bed, in fact it is probably holding up the bed!

Vince & Nick, carrying on pimping that Patreon, it is totally ethical, even if it just go towards your next ringside seat - and this is from one of your "consultants".

FLGS are also online, in fact I suspect the biggest purchasers of auctioned items are online FLGS who do it for resale, I don't think they are doing too bad, the ones I buy from in the UK all seem to have a real world shops as well.

One of the points missed for social media is that it is rarely searchable, whereas forums grow to eventually become that fountain of all knowledge, you have a record of someone with the same issue.

Offline DM Keith

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 09:39:34 AM »
Excellent show, folks.

The segment on FB, G+, forums and message boards was particular fascinating for me. I suggested it to a couple of writer friends who're trying to build writing platforms and decide the best way to reach their audience. 
"I hate pickles."

Mojo

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 04:20:58 PM »
I really loved this episode. I just finished listening to it for the third time. I have to agree with Mike I missed Sal. I do have to say that I really enjoyed the round table format though. It gave a more welcoming feeling if that makes any sense. I guess I am trying to say it did not feel like a show, but like a group of gamers sitting around a table talking about topics that are part of their hobby. Does that explain it better? Sorry if it does not, brain not working too well today.

Anyway I think if folks want to pay a smuck to DM for them I say let em. We would have to exclude Cons and the like b/c that is a special event and the DM's are proven and have history. I guess that is the biggest sticking point really if you think about it. Paying for an unproven product or in this case DM. Don't think I could ever do that myself, meaning pay or even charge. I guess it is the grognard in me that makes it feel wrong and a little dirty.

As far as forums versus social media topic, I agree that more and more folks are going the way of the social media. That is taking the place of the phone really if you think about it. But in defense of forums I would offer this. Yes not may folks may use it, but it still serves a purpose. Think about it. Social Media like Facebook is the customer side of the store. That is the side everybody see's and walks into. That is the place where you decide if you like the store or not. Forums are the back rooms of the store, where the valuables are kept. It is not a competition it is a symbiotic relationship, it is two sides of the same coin.  I will be posting an idea that I am working on that will use facebook to promote this forum site, so the two would work hand in hand. As a society we are always being forced to choose between this and the newest thing, and the truth is we don't have to choose. I will stop the sermon there. Sorry bout that. I will move on.

The Crowd Funding thing is no different than the old Telethons. I mean think about it. It is folks asking for money to achieve a goal. The only difference is it is not on TV it is on your laptop or desktop, and there is no FCC to regulate the real deals from the frauds. The last part is the crusher, because let's face it there are bad folks out there that promise the sun only to pee in your hand for the right donation. The only thing we as consumers can do is be smart and research before we invest.

Anyway sorry for the long post. got a little carried away.

Great Show as always. WGP is the absolute best Podcast Production Outfit out there in my humble opinion.

mojo

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »

Great Show as always. WGP is the absolute best Podcast Production Outfit out there in my humble opinion.

mojo

Thanks Mojo!

Apparently from this one show I got some comments that I am a "Fascist" hehe
Vincent Florio
570-865-4210