OSRGaming

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 18685 times)

Offline Professor thork

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 06:12:31 PM »
hi everyone.

Ugh.. I want my red status back lol

Yeah yeah. I'd like my VOG status. (venerable old grog)  ;D

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 06:25:44 PM »

Welcome back Sinnebar!

That is one of the reasons we decided NOT to do a retro-clone. We briefly flirted with the idea of doing a three rulebook set duplicating the look of the AD&D gold spine hardbacks. We thought about including some new races and classes, some rules clarifications and additions, and new monsters, but then we realized there wasn't any way we'd sell enough to make the effort worthwhile. Besides there are a ton of great retro-clones out there already, not to mention the fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with OD&D, D&D, and AD&D to begin with.

Still you could put out a "Twelve Kingdoms Guidebook" which would have the new races, monsters, deities, character classes, new/modified rules, new spells, new items, world maps & city maps, world & city histories, etc, in it !

That in itself could probably be divided into 3 books.

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »

Welcome back Sinnebar!

That is one of the reasons we decided NOT to do a retro-clone. We briefly flirted with the idea of doing a three rulebook set duplicating the look of the AD&D gold spine hardbacks. We thought about including some new races and classes, some rules clarifications and additions, and new monsters, but then we realized there wasn't any way we'd sell enough to make the effort worthwhile. Besides there are a ton of great retro-clones out there already, not to mention the fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with OD&D, D&D, and AD&D to begin with.

Still you could put out a "Twelve Kingdoms Guidebook" which would have the new races, monsters, deities, character classes, new/modified rules, new spells, new items, world maps & city maps, world & city histories, etc, in it !

That in itself could probably be divided into 3 books.

Once again though, that's a lot of work. We'd want to be certain that there was a market. In the mean time we'll put out little tidbits of 12K knowledge and of course I have a Q&A thread here for those who want to run a 12K campaign now.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Sinnebar

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2016, 09:36:49 AM »

Are you planning on releasing your adventure? I certainly look forward to it if so!

Thanks for the feedback on the registration question. I'll change that one around :)

Don't worry about the registration question.   It was hardly a big deal.   I gave it two tries and looked it up.  :)

The adventure will be released.  I don't know in what form.   I don't need money so unless I use artwork or hire a cheap editor, it will be free.  The procedure just overwhelms me.

Offline RobertFisher

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2016, 08:02:43 AM »
Confession 1: I still haven't figured out the differences between B/X, BECMI, Holmes, Mentzer, White Box, Red Box, etc. and all that early stuff. I just thought there was D&D and AD&D until I started looking at forums.

Those of us who do (to the extent we do) only learned it by noticing differences over time. Or because we’re the type to go looking for the differences.

And you can go even deeper and look for the differences between printings of any edition too.

Classic D&D, AD&D, and post-2000 D&D are good enough top-level distinctions for most purposes. And we’ve got a topic around here about how you can pretty much treat classic D&D and AD&D as the same game too.

FWIW: http://web.fisher.cx/robert/rpg/dnd-id/

Now there's C&C, Labyrinth Lord, Mazes and Perils, OSRIC, and more to keep my head spinning.

Yeah...that will make anyone’s head spin. Even those of us who were C&C playtesters and have watched the whole clone/simulacra thing from the beginning can’t keep up with all the developments.

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2016, 10:04:25 AM »
Confession 1: I still haven't figured out the differences between B/X, BECMI, Holmes, Mentzer, White Box, Red Box, etc. and all that early stuff. I just thought there was D&D and AD&D until I started looking at forums.

Those of us who do (to the extent we do) only learned it by noticing differences over time. Or because we’re the type to go looking for the differences.

And you can go even deeper and look for the differences between printings of any edition too.

Classic D&D, AD&D, and post-2000 D&D are good enough top-level distinctions for most purposes. And we’ve got a topic around here about how you can pretty much treat classic D&D and AD&D as the same game too.

FWIW: http://web.fisher.cx/robert/rpg/dnd-id/

Now there's C&C, Labyrinth Lord, Mazes and Perils, OSRIC, and more to keep my head spinning.

Yeah...that will make anyone’s head spin. Even those of us who were C&C playtesters and have watched the whole clone/simulacra thing from the beginning can’t keep up with all the developments.

Yeah, until around 2007 I was ignorant of OD&D and Holmes versions of the game.  I started with BX and just assumed Mentzer's B and E were reprints of BX with new covers/boxes.

Offline DmRay

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 10:22:58 PM »
Hello again OSR Forums!
As a reintroduction I'm Dm Ray a quiet voice that  keeps popping up here on the forums every now and then for the past few years. I started gaming when I was 9 (29 years ago today) with the Holmes box set I got as a birthday, quickly  jumped into 1st and 2nd editions, Dming for two groups of friends from middle school through high school until around 1998. I took a break from gaming for a while due to work and other real world fun, as well as hiding in shame from the the early dark times of wotc. I Tried running a few adventures with some new players  and their newer editions ,but was not a fan of the 3E/4E video game like power gaming versions. After listening to SOD, RFI , THACOS HAMMER I dug out my old books and have been working on teaching my newer friends the joy of the old school game. ( I'll admit I have also come to like 5E after reading through the core books multiple times)
Dm Ray
This is gonna hurt...a lot!

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2016, 09:23:29 AM »
Welcome back DMRay! I'm glad to see you back here with us! :)

Offline DM Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2016, 11:08:53 AM »
I'm DM Keith, the reincarnation of Keith the Thief from the before the board's great cataclysm.

Started playing spring 1978 with a mashup of the 1E MM, Greyhawk Supplement, and Metamorphosis Alpha.  A bunch of my buddies had better selection of rule books and magazines articles, which I would often "borrow." :-)

Eventually gravitated to using all the 1E books, even though what I really "ran" was an 0E-1E hybrid. 
Hell, back then everything just seemed like "D&D".

I was weirdly fascinated by the whys and hows of all the different rule books and supplements. 
WTF was "Men and Magic"? 
Ready ref sheets? Okay.
I thought the art on Holmes rocked.  I thought the content sucked (I've since changed my mind).
GDGH was Supplement IV, so did that mean there was a supplement V?  VI?  VII?
Why did "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" go away from the top, middle of the cover when the DMG came out?
Crap like that bugged me. 
It didn't bug my players, though.  They just thought I was crazier than a sh*t-house rat.

Kept playing 1E all the way through school. Went to Huntsville High School in Huntsville, AL.  Went to Birmingham-Southern College (really good liberal arts and sciences school) and played in secret because my frat brothers liked girls.

Eventually, around 1986 or so D&D just faded away. 
I got married to a girl who does eye care.  We have kids.  And a dog.  And two cats who look like they want to eat me alive.

I returned to D&D in 2005.  My mom came down with Alzheimer's and I needed an escape.  So I joined the Aceaum and started collecting.
I've built up a decent collection since then.  Mostly 1E and 0E stuff.  I still love digest-sized booklets.

I also played Pathfinder a fair amount with my son, and we had a few sessions on 5E. 
Pathfinder is too crunchy, but I love Paizo's world.

I listen to SOD, RFI and, increasingly, THACO's hammer.  The latter fascinates me because I know NOTHING about 2E, so it's kinda cool in its mysteriousness.

In other stuff, I'd like to say I'm a regular guy, but I work at NASA, and people tell me that's a long freakin' way from being "regular". 
Still, I'm a football dad, dance dad, armchair historian, armchair psychologist, writer and blogger (about Trek), sketch artist.  Love to connect with people, love college football. Enjoy hiking and camping.  And cocktail parties.  And beer. I hate pickles.

Thanks for having me

DM Keith
"I hate pickles."

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »
Welcome back DM Keith!

I don't remember hearing about any of that in the past, so the one nice thing of the 'cataclysm' is I've gotten to relearn some things about our members.

Loved your story! also some hilarious points on your questions about it growing up. Looking forward to more!

Offline yue

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2016, 09:40:31 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am new here.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Offline yue

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2016, 09:44:18 PM »
It's very glad to talk with all of you.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 09:32:09 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am new here.

Welcome Yue. How did you get into gaming?

Mojo

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am new here.

Welcome Yue! We are very glad to have you. Tells us a little bit about yourself.

Mojo

Zronck

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
hello everyone my name is Matt but everyone calls me Red. I am knew to this site, currently a new stay at home father. Was just told about the website from my buddy Mojo. I am currently 29 years old. I Originally Started Role playing at 16 with GURPS 3rd edition and shortly after that went right into DnD 3rd edition. I have experience in DnD 3rd 3.5 4th and 5th edition i also have played White wolf and Vampire the Masquerade, Star wars d20 and lastly pathfinder d20. And lastly looking forward to beta test Mojos new game Wyldland.