OSRGaming

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 19674 times)

Offline mutazoid

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • www.oakvillegamers.com
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »
My name use to be Keith previously on this forum.

Back when I was a kid I found a red box D&D at a garage sale.  The cover art drew me in.  Spent all the money I had to get it and I was hooked.
Played it with friends.  Became the DM by default cause I owned the game.  Heard about AD&D 2e was coming out so waited for it, instead of buying 1e.
Glad I did because Red box was awesome on its own right but I do prefer 2e (first printing) much more than first for the rules but love the 1e modules.
(except 2e dragons should have existed in 1e)

I went overseas for about a decade and during that time I almost completely forgot about gaming.  Then someone introduced me to 4e.  (Good board game ;)  )
Then when I got a chance to really exploring gaming again.  First thing I tried Castles and Crusades, then Dungeon Crawl Classics.  Now Im playing 5e but would like to get back to OSR games.

I also dream of developing a cafe where I can proudly display items from indie developers.
If anyone interested in hearing how my development goes please feel free and contact me.

I hope to get a weekly chat happening online some day soon.

Happy gaming everyone :)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
MY dream is to make an OSR Cafe
(Contact me if you like to kept in the loop when I start developing it)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
ps. I use to be Keith in the forums here before resigning up

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »
Welcome back Keith! Glad to hear you're coming back to the OSR, but C&C, DCC, and 5e are good games too :)

Offline RobJN

• XP: +1/-0
  • Dire Flumph
    • View Profile
    • Thorn's Chronicle
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 06:20:43 AM »
Bummer about losing the database. But, as others have said, this isn't anything that can't be rebuilt. Better, stronger, fas-- ok, you get the picture. Thanks for getting it back up and running, and not giving up :)

I'm Rob, and got started back in the early 80s when my cousin brought over his D&D books. I don't even rmember the simple dungeon he had me take a bunch of pre-generated characters through, but I was hooked. He loaned me those books (I was in.... 3rd grade? 4th grade? I know I learned a lot of new words, reading all of that High Gygaxian)

A year or two later, a friend got the magenta Moldvay red Basic set, and I helped him decipher the rules. It all went downhill from there ;) The first D&D stuff I ever bought with my own money was the Mentzer Expert Set, at the Kay-Bee Toys at the mall.

I played through middle school and high school (awesome group in high school, with rotating GMs/DMs and games: I did D&D, another guy did Bunnies & Burrows/Cthulhu/Necromunda (not at the same time!), another friend ran Palladium RIFTS/Robotech crossover(s); his brother and a friend of his co-Admin'd TOP SECRET/S.I. and Cyberpunk 2020.

I didn't get much gaming done through college, and took a hiatus when I moved to TX and got married. I posted every now and then on TSR's AOL message boards, but that was pretty much the extent of my gaming involvement. I snatched up Alternity when it (finally!) came out, but didn't get back into gaming until 3rd edition launched, and I played some pickup games at the local hobby shop. It was fun. Good to get back into rolling dice and killin' some orcs. I ran some stuff for my step son, but never did settle into a regular group. (Still haven't, unless you count play-by-post) I didn't much care for the edition after that, but this newest one has piqued my interest. It really harkens back to the game's roots, striking a nice balance between the old Mentzer boxed sets and the Advanced editions. Still a bit to "balance-y" for my tastes.

Nowadays, I play in a handful of play-by-post games on a couple different forums, in between bouts of writing through my own version of the Mystara setting, with the best bits of 3rd/5th edition mechanics woven into things. The prose part is easy. Shoehorning it into stuff that can be used at the gaming table after the fact...? Not so much.

I found this place through listening to the various Wild Games Productions podcasts: Save or Die! (Hi, Mike, Liz, & Jim!), THAC0's Hammer (Hiya Glenn & co), and RFI (Glad you're back, Vince).

I'll be able to make NTRPGCon this year, so I hope to see some of y'all there. :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Blog | On Facebook | G+

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 09:53:33 AM »
Welcome back Rob!

Nice story, glad to see you back into gaming. I still need to give 5e a try at some point. Nearly ran the adventure in the starter set once, but it didn't happen. Also brought back nostalgic feelings for KB Toys.

My plan is to be at NTRPGCon this year as well!

Offline stinky1eyedogre

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 11:27:07 AM »
Hi everyone. I guess I have been gone from the forums for far too long.
I'm glad to see the forums are back up.
I've been lurking here for a few years now. So some of you know me already. For those that do not know me:

I started playing with the Holmes Box set in '79, and I played a lot of different RPGs throughout the eighties and into the '90s.

I took a long hiatus from gaming until '06, and I've been trying to catch up ever since.

I currently run various OSR games (DCC RPG, LL, LotFP, Mutant Future, CoC...), and play whatever I can in my spare time.

I don't care much about what your choice of game is (as none of them are perfect)... I just hope you are having fun playing it.

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. - Goethe
"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." - Goethe

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »
Welcome back stinky1eyedogre! You're running a lot of stuff! Are those mixed into 1 or 2 games, or do you run that many different games?

Offline DocMindwipe

• Administrator
  • XP: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »
I am, and I'm me!

WHO ARE YOU TO LOOK DOWN
AT WHAT I BELIEVE?
I'M ON TO YOUR THINKING
AND HOW YOU DECEIVE
WELL, YOU CAN'T ABUSE ME
I WON'T STAND NO MORE
YES, I KNOW THE REASONS
YES, I KNOW THE SCORE

I AM, AND I'LL BE
I WILL, YOU'LL SEE
I AM, AND I'LL BE
I AM: I'M ME

HOW I TRIED TO PLEASE YOU
LIVE THE WAY YOU SAID
DO THE THINGS THAT YOU DO
LIKE THE LIVING DEAD
THEN THE TRUTH IT HIT ME
GOT ME OFF MY KNEES
IT'S MY LIFE I'M LIVING
I'LL LIVE AS I PLEASE

I AM, AND I'LL BE
I WILL, YOU'LL SEE
I AM, AND I'LL BE

NOW'S THE TIME TO STAND TALL
START YOUR LIFE ANEW
FREEDOM LIES IN YOUR HEART
NOW'S THE TIME FOR YOU

I AM, AND I'LL BE
I WILL, YOU'LL SEE
I AM, AND I'LL BE

Uhm... or something.

Apart from being a rock&metal head, I is a 44year young Norwegian Mancunian. I started playing RPGs very late in life as compared to some others here, I was 18 years of age when some schoolmates were playing this weird game with no figures and strange multi sided dice... one of them dice even looked like a pyramid! The more I was watching the less I understood what was happening... and so they invited me to play  along with them, and  that was that. The game they played at the time, was called "HeroQuest" I'm (mis)lead to believe. We played that for a couple of weeks or so before the game master bought these books that was actually in NORWEGIAN!!! (can you believe it!!!!!) and so it was far easier to understand what the heck was going on. It was one red and one blue hardcover book, with the words "Dungeons&Dragons" at the top....

Yes, it was Mentzer Basic and Expert.... I've been hooked ever since ;)

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 11:29:27 PM »
Doc, Welcome back! I expected nothing less from your introduction xD

Offline kevinwatson

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 09:35:23 AM »
I'm Kevin. My 46th birthday is around the corner. I have been playing since 1980, a DM since 1982. I am the head (and only) Naga at Dark Naga, which is publishes 5e and OSR adventures modules. I enjoy branching out in to some of the other games. My bucket list consists of a number of Non-D&D TSR items. Some I have explored, others I will over the coming years.

I skipped the 3.x years (playing only a dozen games of AD&D over those years), returned actively during the 4e years, and left that for the 5e public beta as soon as I could.

I have DM'ed some big shows since returning in 2010. I was one of the All Access Pass DM's in 2014 at GenCon.

Tired of running railroad adventures, I started writing my own again. My first project is live on Kickstarter currently. There is a post about it in the Community Creation board.

That one is the opener for a 5 part series steeped in Lovecraftian gods, and my version of the "Underdark" (Which is not similar to the TSR/WotC version well beyond being legally distinct).

It will be followed by a larger series of linked adventures that take a party from level 1 to level 20, and takes them to a previously unknown continent, Arapa, where something evil is disrupting life, and driving some of the residents 1400 miles north to the known world.

I am looking forward to going to gaming conventions to support Dark Naga and not just to run 8 slots of LFR/AL for Baldman. I had a blast running modules for Baldman, just a bit tired of it, and my attention is elsewhere these days.

I am on the lookout for artists, cartographers and writers. (none of which will be asked to work for "exposure".) The Arapa series has room for some paid writing for some specific aspects. I can be reached here pretty easily. My company facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/darknaga
A Website is in the works. Right now it is a shell" http://www.darknaga.com

I enjoy talking about RPG's, and am pretty knowledgeable on a lot of them. I am not an edition warrior. I have very strong views on what roles the major versions of D&D play.

Mojo

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
Hey welcome back Kevin!!! Glad to have you back with us! I wish you luck and success on your kick starter and all writing endeavors.

mojo

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
Welcome back Kevin!

Your adventure series sounds interesting. Nice to hear that it sounds like some of the more classic feeling adventures will be coming to 5e (also OSR?). I will definitely give you kickstarter a look :)

Offline kevinwatson

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 07:13:20 PM »
Welcome back Kevin!

Your adventure series sounds interesting. Nice to hear that it sounds like some of the more classic feeling adventures will be coming to 5e (also OSR?). I will definitely give you kickstarter a look :)

Great to be back.

I don't like what I am seeing in adventures, OP and traditional, so I am trying to be the change I want to see in the gaming community.

I borrowed an idea from Force on Force training. Some of the encounters are designed for RP, some for Combat, some can go either way. All can be completed either way, just going against the grain is a bit of a challenge. In FoF drills, sometimes you should draw and shoot, sometimes you shouldn't and some depend on the choices you make during the encounter. They train people when and when not to escalate self defense to the next level.

Support for the KS is greatly appreciated. I think I have identified and mitigated the big risks, and will be able to restore a touch of confidence in the KS process when this one is put to bed.

Offline Sinnebar

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 11:39:53 AM »
Hi,

My name is John.  I'm about 62 years old with more hair in my ears and on my back than I have on my head.   Right out of college in the very late 70s I started playing D&D type games with my friends and it led to me co-writing a few supplements through the 80s.  After getting rich from that I kind of dropped out until a few years ago when I stumbled upon RFI.   

I just played in my first adventure in over 20 years last Spring and it was like I had never left.    Being great fun that is...I couldn't remember very much in the way of rules.

Right now I'm trying to finish an adventure but I'm a horrible editor so it's taking forever.   Besides naps and other duties keep getting in the way.  I thought I was supposed to be retired.

Confession 1:   I still haven't figured out the differences between B/X,  BECMI, Holmes, Mentzer , White Box, Red Box, etc. and all that early stuff.   I just thought there was D&D and AD&D until I started looking at forums.  Now there's C&C, Labyrinth Lord, Mazes and Perils, OSRIC, and more to keep my head spinning.

Confession 2:  I didn't know what year D&D began so it took forever to rejoin because of that question.   I finally had to give in and look it up.  :)

Keep up the good work Dizzy and all of you contributors.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
Welcome back Sinnebar! I appreciate your post as well!

Retro-clones are coming from everywhere now! But I think everyone likes slightly different houserules so it works. Are you planning on releasing your adventure? I certainly look forward to it if so!

Thanks for the feedback on the registration question. I'll change that one around :)

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 01:01:11 PM »
Now there's C&C, Labyrinth Lord, Mazes and Perils, OSRIC, and more to keep my head spinning.

Welcome back Sinnebar!

That is one of the reasons we decided NOT to do a retro-clone. We briefly flirted with the idea of doing a three rulebook set duplicating the look of the AD&D gold spine hardbacks. We thought about including some new races and classes, some rules clarifications and additions, and new monsters, but then we realized there wasn't any way we'd sell enough to make the effort worthwhile. Besides there are a ton of great retro-clones out there already, not to mention the fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with OD&D, D&D, and AD&D to begin with.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents