OSRGaming

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 19438 times)

Offline Professor thork

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2016, 12:05:33 AM »
Hello folkses.
Welcome to all the new members. Wow, Andy--things is looking up.

I haven't been around in a bit, but, I still lurk about.
My preferred system is OD&D with lots of HR...but of late, the forum culture at some of my hangouts is getting depressing.
So, I hope everyone, here, stays fresh, creative, and full of bravado.

YuriPRIME

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2016, 05:02:50 AM »
Howdy, folks.

I'm not entirely new to the site, you can say I'm a quiet lurker for some time now, but only recently decided to have a say on some subjects on this forum. Been listening to your network's podcasts and it really gave me hope, along with the boom of online hosted RPGs where I had my come back into gaming after a long career focused brake. Anyway, here in Poland the bedrock of 'All That is Gaming' can be summarized by one word: Warhammer. And indeed, Warhammer Fantasy RP has been a huge part of my life, the game that introduced me to gaming in general, perhaps  to it I also own a certain dose of my current philosophy of how to run and how to play.
D&D had rough times competing with WH over here and when I was first introduced to D&D it was 3rd edition. I still have my books on the shelf. But despite all the fun of 3rd edition, all the ideas introduced in there, me and my group back in a day found it a bit tiring after a while. Many people say, that 3rd edition plays best on early levels, where the gameplay doesn't bog down in math which get's higher and higher and combat scenes which are longer and longer, while the sense of threat slowly dilutes itself in a comfortable and ever-growing pool of Hit Points. Sure, it gives the characters more of a power-trip, but it was this old Warhammer-like sense of constant peril lurking somewhere that I began to miss.

Then... one day me and my friends gather up in the only game store in town - we used it often as a meeting place for our group, since we used to live in all different areas. Our DM sadly can't make it, giving us a quick call, some issues with his mother (that was back in HighSchool - as someone born in the 80's I consider myself to be one of the younger generation). Well, that's a bummer, can't do anything about it and we're about to leave, when suddenly, this older guy with a backpack full of 'decrepit old tomes' approaches us saying he overheard our conversation. He was sadly missing his group, who in turn couldn't make it. Well, if we lacked a DM and he lacked a group, the guy proposes to run us a game since he has already something prepared. It might have looked kinda creepy, I mean a bunch of teens approached by a cross between The Dude from Big Lebowski and captain Blackbeard, who offers them a voyage into a wonderful land full of fables and adventures. But... then again, we lacked a DM and it was like third session that we had to abandon already. So we go... "Sure, why not. What you running there?" And he fishes AD&D 2nd Edition PHB. First of all: Damn! How can be a book so worn! And I mean it! Secondly: We're like, "Huh?! AD&D 2nd Edition? What's that?" For us, there was just D&D and we had the third, but this one's Advanced?! We were playing some pleb-kiddie version this whole time?! - I'm sure that's the initial reaction all the player's get, especially when they hear about Basic.
The guy explains us the whole history about this, everything to know about TSR and Wizards... or rather, the gist of it, but the way we were able to understand. But we're still undecided, I mean, we were growing a bit tired of D&D after the extent of our 3rd Edition exposure. But then the guy explains it's nothing like it and we'll be quite surprised.

So we gave it a go, and now, I'd rather play OldSchool (especially AD&D) then any newer verion of the games in question. I loved the lethality, mixture of mechanics and narrative, the simplicity of it all and the obvious abstract of the games. Those games aren't realistic, in the slightest, but I think that's good, they're not supposed to be. Just like a fan of old cars and history can enjoy driving a fully mechanical Packard from the 20's, without all those fancy electronics, new technologies and so on, and have fun because of that experience... so am I enjoying the OS for the same reason. Because the flaws and quirks are a part of this experience and I love to embrace them. I also feel that games nowdays become more and more 'merciful'. Having looked at 3rd, 4th and 5th edition I've noticed how it's gradually harder and harder to die, to a point where the philosophy changed from "Characters tell their own stories over time, while few of them will become heroes." to "Character are heroes and heroes are always meant to survive and tell their story." Perhaps that fundamental shift is why I prefer the older games - sure, characters die, but that makes those which survived all the more special - to a point where I remember more of them then I remember characters from my newer edition games.

So, not to drag it for too long, cause I'm afraid we're approaching length of an essay, I'll finish with this: Recently came back to AD&D, trying to introduce new generation to this system. It's not easy, but so far my players enjoy what they are experiencing. And on that note I find the online gaming to be a real blessing, it's easier then ever to reach out and find other people interested in playing or running some old school games, but not only that. If I tried to look for groups in my area, well it's mostly playing what is the hottest stuff on the market, and currently, that's 5th edition and some remnants of 3.5. Not many people interested in experimenting or even 'reading another book'. I've managed to run so many games which sat at my shelf idle for years, and, with a bit of luck, I can step in the shoes of that older scary dude who introduces people to the tasty modules and classic adventures. Other then that... well I'm running games on my YT channel devoted to RPGs and Actual Plays (Including AD&D) although everything's in Polish, so I doubt you'd understand :P
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:28:51 AM by YuriPRIME »

Offline DM_Screenmonkey

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2016, 08:26:33 AM »
Howdy, folks.

I'm not entirely new to the site, you can say I'm a quiet lurker for some time now, but only recently decided to have a say on some subjects on this forum. Been listening to your network's podcasts and it really gave me hope, along with the boom of online hosted RPGs where I had my come back into gaming after a long career focused brake. Anyway, here in Poland the bedrock of 'All That is Gaming' can be summarized by one word: Warhammer. And indeed, Warhammer Fantasy RP has been a huge part of my life, the game that introduced me to gaming in general, perhaps  to it I also own a certain dose of my current philosophy of how to run and how to play.
D&D had rough times competing with WH over here and when I was first introduced to D&D it was 3rd edition. I still have my books on the shelf. But despite all the fun of 3rd edition, all the ideas introduced in there, me and my group back in a day found it a bit tiring after a while. Many people say, that 3rd edition plays best on early levels, where the gameplay doesn't bog down in math which get's higher and higher and combat scenes which are longer and longer, while the sense of threat slowly dilutes itself in a comfortable and ever-growing pool of Hit Points. Sure, it gives the characters more of a power-trip, but it was this old Warhammer-like sense of constant peril lurking somewhere that I began to miss.

Then... one day me and my friends gather up in the only game store in town - we used it often as a meeting place for our group, since we used to live in all different areas. Our DM sadly can't make it, giving us a quick call, some issues with his mother (that was back in HighSchool - as someone born in the 80's I consider myself to be one of the younger generation). Well, that's a bummer, can't do anything about it and we're about to leave, when suddenly, this older guy with a backpack full of 'decrepit old tomes' approaches us saying he overheard our conversation. He was sadly missing his group, who in turn couldn't make it. Well, if we lacked a DM and he lacked a group, the guy proposes to run us a game since he has already something prepared. It might have looked kinda creepy, I mean a bunch of teens approached by a cross between The Dude from Big Lebowski and captain Blackbeard, who offers them a voyage into a wonderful land full of fables and adventures. But... then again, we lacked a DM and it was like third session that we had to abandon already. So we go... "Sure, why not. What you running there?" And he fishes AD&D 2nd Edition PHB. First of all: Damn! How can be a book so worn! And I mean it! Secondly: We're like, "Huh?! AD&D 2nd Edition? What's that?" For us, there was just D&D and we had the third, but this one's Advanced?! We were playing some pleb-kiddie version this whole time?! - I'm sure that's the initial reaction all the player's get, especially when they hear about Basic.
The guy explains us the whole history about this, everything to know about TSR and Wizards... or rather, the gist of it, but the way we were able to understand. But we're still undecided, I mean, we were growing a bit tired of D&D after the extent of our 3rd Edition exposure. But then the guy explains it's nothing like it and we'll be quite surprised.

So we gave it a go, and now, I'd rather play OldSchool (especially AD&D) then any newer verion of the games in question. I loved the lethality, mixture of mechanics and narrative, the simplicity of it all and the obvious abstract of the games. Those games aren't realistic, in the slightest, but I think that's good, they're not supposed to be. Just like a fan of old cars and history can enjoy driving a fully mechanical Packard from the 20's, without all those fancy electronics, new technologies and so on, and have fun because of that experience... so am I enjoying the OS for the same reason. Because the flaws and quirks are a part of this experience and I love to embrace them. I also feel that games nowdays become more and more 'merciful'. Having looked at 3rd, 4th and 5th edition I've noticed how it's gradually harder and harder to die, to a point where the philosophy changed from "Characters tell their own stories over time, while few of them will become heroes." to "Character are heroes and heroes are always meant to survive and tell their story." Perhaps that fundamental shift is why I prefer the older games - sure, characters die, but that makes those which survived all the more special - to a point where I remember more of them then I remember characters from my newer edition games.

So, not to drag it for too long, cause I'm afraid we're approaching length of an essay, I'll finish with this: Recently came back to AD&D, trying to introduce new generation to this system. It's not easy, but so far my players enjoy what they are experiencing. And on that note I find the online gaming to be a real blessing, it's easier then ever to reach out and find other people interested in playing or running some old school games, but not only that. If I tried to look for groups in my area, well it's mostly playing what is the hottest stuff on the market, and currently, that's 5th edition and some remnants of 3.5. Not many people interested in experimenting or even 'reading another book'. I've managed to run so many games which sat at my shelf idle for years, and, with a bit of luck, I can step in the shoes of that older scary dude who introduces people to the tasty modules and classic adventures. Other then that... well I'm running games on my YT channel devoted to RPGs and Actual Plays (Including AD&D) although everything's in Polish, so I doubt you'd understand :P

Welcome. WHFRP is a great game I played it several times and still own all my 1st WHFRP books.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2016, 09:40:50 AM »
YuriPRIME that was awesome! I really look forward to what you'll add to some of the conversation. I have Warhammer Fantasy RPG 1e but have never played it, or even read through it yet. I need to do so. Maybe we need a topic going to get myself started on it.

Seriously awesome introduction, welcome to OSRGaming!

YuriPRIME

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »
Thank you both. The moment I got some time to write a more substantial post I shall scribe something up :)

Offline dannygreen

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2016, 05:06:12 PM »
Danny from Los Angeles, learning lots from you guys! glad to be here :D

Offline Greymist

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2016, 02:03:29 AM »
Greetings!

I was a semi-lurker on the old boards and as this is my first post despite re-registering in February, I guess I have moved to full-on lurker status.

I think I first started playing D&D in 1980 (might have been a little earlier) when I was 15 years old. My geek friends had been playing for a few months before inviting me to join. My first character was a thief - who died in my first session! But the game had me hooked, and I played regularly for the next couple of years in high school (AD&D), and then into university.

I graduated university in 1989 and I was still playing fairly regularly (by then a mash-up of 1E and 2E). Life finally made D&D a thing of the past for me sometime in the mid-90s, as gaming friends moved away and it was getting harder to find the time.

Just after 3E was released one of my old gaming buddies found he was working with a couple of 'kids' in their twenties who were into gaming and my second round of D&D stated up with the new edition. I even managed to go to the last Gen Con in Milwaukee with the new guys. This group lasted into the mid-00s, when child-minding started becoming an issue! The group still gets together every few months (at best) but its usually for board games now - no prep required!

I satiated my D&D craving with the Internet and eventually podcasts (does anyone remember Dragons Landing Inn?). While I had enjoyed 3.x, initially; with each new book from WOTC or from 3rd parties it was getting way too crunchy (to use a modern term) for my liking. I missed the entire 4E era, as I did not have a group. Besides, I was listening to a lot of OSR podcasts and reading a lot of OSR material on the web, and I knew that I wanted to enjoy a simpler game. But I have to admit, I am very interested in giving 5E a go.

I am still gameless at the moment. I am looking for a local game on Meetup, but anything that sounds interesting is too far away or won't work with my schedule.  :'(

But I will continue my quest to find a game...the worst case is my drought continues for another 4 years at which point I retire and I start up a game for the old group, since I will have all the time in the world to DM!!

Offline Vile

• XP: +10/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2016, 05:12:43 AM »
Welcome to OSR Gaming, Greymist! Here's hoping you get a game off the ground soon. Meetup is great, I now have more gaming groups at my fingertips than I could ever hope to join - and that's in Hong Kong!

Offline FaerieGodfather

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
I'm Viktyr. I may or may have had an account here ages ago; I honestly do not recall. I'm a (so-far) unsuccessful author and game designer and I've been roleplaying since 1992, starting with AD&D 1e and Gamma World 2e. It was 1995 or 1996 before I understood that there were two different versions of AD&D and that my Rules Cyclopedia and Gazetteers were a different game. I switched to 2e in high school and also played a lot of Shadowrun. I picked up Alternity when it came out and the settings designed for it are still among my favorites today.

I got caught up in the 3e hype when it came out, and even switched to 3.5e when they released it three years later. I admit that I had a lot of fun with those rules, but it was a degenerate sort of fun based more in creating characters than playing them. I switched to HARP before 4e came out, to try to develop for it professionally, and acquired a stunning Rolemaster collection without ever really playing it. I never cottoned to 4e, even after they finally fixed my initial complaints-- in Player's Handbook 3-- and I've played enough 5e to understand that I wish I liked it better. I appreciate the fact that it plays more like TSR D&D than 3e and 4e do, but there's still too many of the design decisions I've found baffling or infuriating for me to really enjoy it.

I have a tortured relationship with D&D now, because it's the game I grew up on and the game that shaped my tastes, but all of the real D&D that exists-- as opposed to the D&D of my memories-- has either not enough options to hold my interest or entirely too much cruft for me to tolerate.

I read more games than I play, but I play a lot of Dresden Files/Fate and I'm currently running two Palladium TMNT games. I don't like the heavily narrative style of games, but I really like the way that games like Fate and Cortex+ make character motivations mechanically relevant. I'm currently working on my own D&D retro-whatever (it's not really a clone) and I'm amused to watch it incorporate material from other games as it develops. I'm also working on a novel, a kind of wuxia urban fantasy, and slowly percolating on ideas for a game system to represent it.

Thanks for welcoming me back. You'll be sick of me soon enough.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
Welcome Viktyr!

Definitely sounds very interesting! Welcome back! Looking forward to see more from you. I've always wanted to try TMNT, but have never seen it anywhere.

Offline FaerieGodfather

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2016, 03:06:18 AM »
Definitely sounds very interesting! Welcome back! Looking forward to see more from you. I've always wanted to try TMNT, but have never seen it anywhere.

The price on Amazon Marketplace temporarily spiked to over $60 when I bought a couple of copies for myself and friends, but it's back down to under $30. (Of course, I paid $12 and $6 for mine, so you might want to wait a little longer if cash is short.) Overall, I would not consider myself a fan of the Palladium system, but I've found a number of its concepts creeping into my simulacrum design-- particularly the notion that skill proficiencies give you more than just bonuses on skill checks.

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2016, 03:22:56 PM »
I suppose I should post here, as I've been posting elsewhere on the site for a bit.

I'm Larry. I came to gaming via miniatures wargaming when I was in junior high. The teacher who ran the Chess Club gamed and introduced some of us to some minis rules. We couldn't afford minis, so many Sunday afternoons were spent with troop formations of Risk pieces. :)

Then came board wargames. Was able to take a class my sophomore year called "Kriegspiel." The grading system was set up on points earned in play, with wins scoring more than ties scoring more than losses, and long, complex games were worth more than short game scenarios; also on battle reports before and after play. I ended up top of the class.

I was introduced to D&D at a summer program. The guy telling me all about this game didn't have any of the books along with him, so he just described the game in some detail and what could happen. We then "played" a purely narrative game without using any of the mechanics, just so I could get an idea of how it was played.

That autumn, a new kid in school brought in the AD&D books. I ended up borrowing and reading them and then he asked if I wanted to play. Sure! He then asked me to DM the group. OK. That was the beginning of it.

I've freelanced in the industry, working on a lot of stuff that didn't make it out of the production pipeline and a bit that did. My greatest geek cred arises from editing work on Gygax's last game, Lejendary Adventure. I took a vast pile of accumulated notes and turned it into the Rules for All Players (I'll buy you dinner if you can identify the portions I wrote versus those Gary wrote), then took another piles of notes that turned into the bestiary and a bunch of tables in the LM's book. I also wrote the adventure included with the LM's screen.

These days, I'm turning my attention back to producing game stuff, though on my own schedule and without expectations of mass marketing glory. ;) I'm writing up a project currently that has an OSR feel, am planning an alternative take on AD&D based on house rules and such, and finally beginning work on the really large, crunchy set of rules I've wanted for years.

I also play lots of bad disc golf, create art via photos, and take care of a small herd of musical instruments.

Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.