OSRGaming

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 18699 times)

Offline Wes

• XP: +1/-0
  • HKoDT
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »
....and a guitarist for fun.

Fantastic! Welcome to the Forums!

Personal Info:
Middle-aged fat man, married father of two who dwells in Southwestern VA and Western NC. Materials/Supply Chain dude by day.

Games:
Started back in the mid /late 1980s with ADnD. Love anything old-school. Love the new HackMaster as well as Aces and Eights, Twilight 2000, SWD6, TORG, and others I'm forgetting at the moment

Geek Cred:
Thin, compared to many superstars in this place. I did manage to swindle an Honorary Knights of the Dinner Table title and I've done some sub-par artwork that was accepted into the OSRIC and another monsters book.

Turn Ons:
People who can laugh at themselves and genuinely enjoy games. Cool old-school artwork. Sages.

Turn Offs:
People who take themselves too seriously.

Favorite Module:
Either Lost City or the Scourge of the Slave Lords.

Favorite Die:
D12
To the north there lies a cave....

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
The old timers around here know me.  I started with BX and Ad&D back in 1982 and played until 1988. I stop when I graduated HS and went in the army. I picked it up agin in the mid to late 2000s. Played a little BX/Basic Fantasy with my oldest and then joined a 3.5 campaign (the DM was terrible). From 2009 to 2014 4e D&D was my main game with some playing of OSR and other games.

The last couple years I have played on and off, mostly 5e with other editions mixed in. I have just joined a Pathfinder group with some of my former players. I like all editions of D&D but some more than other (3/3.5 is my least favorite).

I am a 45 yo dad of 4 kids (14, 12, 9, and 6) so I have players at home too.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 01:44:47 PM »
Nice FJW! Even knowing you all these years on this forum, it is nice to reread someones introduction. I didn't know all of that about you (but at least some of it!) I'm curious if you find Pathfinder a big improvement over 3/3.5 or not.

Also welcome Robert Fisher! I loved the introduction. I'd love to read some tales from Marc Miller about the early days of Traveller! I'm curious what your favorite guitar is, assuming you own at least a couple, or what you'd like to own if not. Everytime I find myself with a decent amount of spare cash, I find myself walking home with a new electric. I need to get rid of some, but GAS.

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »
I wouldn't say PF is much better than 3/3.5 (not that I am an expert on those editions). There are a couple things that it does better (like skills) but in my opinion it is still the same game (sort of like 1e and 2e). 4e and 5e are far superior to 3/3.5/PF IMO.

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 09:33:36 PM »
One would think - considering the fact that I accidentally deleted my intro the first time I signed in here a couple of weeks ago and had to rewrite it - that I would not do the same thing after re-registering. But I did. It's a shame. I write these really compelling intros, carefully crafted to propel anyone's imagination into a kind of delirious euphoria, but to no avail. So then I sit here and swear a few times and have to start again.

In lieu of rewriting everything, I'm appealing to the various excellent reviews I received regarding my other introduction:

"Mr. Courtemanche has a name that is difficult to pronounce."
- National Public Radio

"Is that the guy who ruined the junior high school chess club I managed? It is? Well, he was a terrible student and a hideous human being. Everyone started playing that hateful, diabolic game. It was 1983. Are you telling me he's still playing? He is? Disgusting. I hope he is forced into some sort of team sport when he finally arrives at whatever circle of Hell lies ahead of him. It will be a testament to the laws of entropy if he is made the goalie on a nudist hockey team."
- Mr. Thompson, History Teacher, Former Chess Club Manager, Football Coach

"Your dad? Isn't he, like, too old for that?"
- My daughter's former boyfriend

"He smokes too much."
- My wife

"He writes a lot of phony quotes."
- Julius Caesar

"He orders a lot of pizza."
- Little Caesar

That's probably good enough for an intro. I'm also working on some rpg-related projects and a comic strip, all of which are free; I'm not trying to self-promote; I'm disabled and I do these things for fun and for love of the game. I'm just getting started with it all after a long hiatus during which I did no drawing or writing. Fortunately, the OSR community exists, which has fired up my imagination. I've got a blog that I'll be updating with artwork so that I won't seem self-indulgent here, but I'll share a recent strip, which I'm hoping to continue.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting folks and learning things and sharing what I know (or think I know).

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:51:01 PM by dmcourtemanche »

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 10:49:11 PM »
dmcourtemanche, excellent job once again! Honestly don't feel like your annoying us by posting your stuff. I'd love to see more of your artwork and comic strips up! You've been rocking them! Welcome back!

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 11:42:05 PM »
Thanks, man. I've been ambivalent about that - the posting thing, I mean.
Had a problem over at Twitter with one guy, in particular, who thought I was being self-indulgent. Like an opportunist, looking for money. I recall DM Vince once remarking in a podcast that one of the good things about creators supporting the OSR is how much of the material is offered freely or at least at a reasonable cost.
The truth is I just really love the game, and it means so much to me that there are people who still play those fine editions. Nothing else has come close for me. I love to share, just like anybody who comes up with something they want to put out there.
Thanks, man. That comment - as with the previous one - means a lot to me.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:51:34 AM by dmcourtemanche »

Offline RobertFisher

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 07:36:07 AM »

I'm curious what your favorite guitar is, assuming you own at least a couple, or what you'd like to own if not. Everytime I find myself with a decent amount of spare cash, I find myself walking home with a new electric. I need to get rid of some, but GAS.

I have 13. Really hard to pick a favorite.

The two most interesting ones are a really cool Tele/ES-330 mashup that I got off eBay...

...and a David Lozeau Strat. I usually don’t like the graphics they put on guitars, but I’m a sucker for blue with dragons.

Ones I’m thinking about as possible next acquisitions include one of the new Ibanez Talmans (the one with the Tele pick-ups and an extra middle pick-up) or a Reverend with three P90s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mojo

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »
Hey guys, Mojo here. Let's see introduce myself. I am an old fart that has more medical issues than a newsstand. 

I went back and reread other's posts and saw that I did not include any of my gaming past. So thought it would be best if I modified to add it in.

Started with the original Red Box when I was a kid back in the early 80's, around 81 or 82. Advanced D&D had just come out I think. Anyway my parents owned a hobby store and I had to work 3 weeks sweeping, stocking, and other child labor law no no's before I got paid in the form of the Red Box. I played the solo adventure may times that came in the players had book. Do y'all remember that adventure? Anyway I could never get past the stupid giant centipede.
It was that Red Box that gave birth to Melf the Elf and Row Boat One (my first Dwarf) my first 2 characters. Melf went on to greatness, and Row boat, not so much. LOL :P

The Satanic Panic hit full force in our little southern town in Arkansas and my mom burned all the stock of TSR products they had in the store, all of my D&D stuff and I was banned from even saying the name TSR or D&D for fear of inviting a demon into our house. This is real, not making it up. So I did what any 10 year old kid would do, I lied to the parents and took it underground. I continued to play until girls took our interest, then started playing again in high school when my cousin was in college. Our DM was in Mensa and we played 2nd Edition. DM Joe was cool has hell. I have noticed that others have a cool DM named Joe which has made me wonder if this Joe is the same person?

Anyway I have always been a gamer. Started out young with board games. Risk, Monopoly, Battleship, Stratego (think that is spelled right), you know the basic stuff. When I got older I got into other games like Scotland Yard and Stop Thief. Do y'all remember those games? I still have Scotland Yard. It is awesome. The horrible part was my parents would by me these games for my birthday or for Christmas, but would never play them with me. Well I say never, there was always that rare chance that a half of a game would be played on Christmas if they had nothing else better to do. It was the same with my two older sisters. Then my lil Bro came along. We played all the time. You know people can say whatever they want to about playing games, but it really does build strong relationships. To this day I have a way better relationship with my lil Bro than with anyone else in my fam.

I am currently working on a fantasy RPG called Wyldland (pronounced Wild Land). Have been working with Thorky to write out a campaign. Been using him as a sounding board. Guys I have to say he is in my humble opinion a top shelf module writer. He helped me take my horrible idea and turn it into something I can be proud of.

When I am finished with the module (which is totally up to my health) I will be posting the Player's section of my rule book (yes there will only be one book) on this site for those that want to beta test the rules. I will be running a campaign (that means 3 adventures) for 8-9 players. We start with a 0 level adventure then move on.

I will be making a new post for those interested in signing up. We would play on Skype (voice only). You can use dice roller apps or you can use your real dice. I think we are all old enough not to cheat. So be looking for that post.

Last I want to thank Dizzy for all of the hard work it took to get this awesome site back up and running.

Mojo
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:01:45 AM by Mojo »

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 09:47:36 AM »
Very much looking forward to the module, Mojo. And sending good juju to apply to the mojo necessary for Mojo-related stuff.
And I second the praise for Dizzy's dedication to get things going again.
Hoping to contribute some things, as well, and it looks like I'm in good company here.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:54 AM »
Robert, those are both super pretty. That Hollowbody Tele in Surf Green is blowing my mind. That strat makes me think of Jimmy Page's Dragon Tele from Led Zeppelin 1. There is something about tele's that always feel nice to me. I keep mine near my desk and is what I usually practice on, but I usually take my modded strat and les paul to actually perform with.

Welcome back Mojo! Glad you've made it back. Hopefully Wyldland will be appearing shortly! Thanks!

dmcourtemanche, I can't believe someone would have an issue with you sharing your work on twitter. I'd say most people want to share their creative works, otherwise they basically disappear. I'm glad you're sharing!

Mojo

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
Thanks, man. I've been ambivalent about that - the posting thing, I mean.
Had a problem over at Twitter with one guy, in particular, who thought I was being self-indulgent. Like an opportunist, looking for money. I recall DM Vince once remarking in a podcast that one of the good things about creators supporting the OSR is how much of the material is offered freely or at least at a reasonable cost.
The truth is I just really love the game, and it means so much to me that there are people who still play those fine editions. Nothing else has come close for me. I love to share, just like anybody who comes up with something they want to put out there.
Thanks, man. That comment - as with the previous one - means a lot to me.

First I must say awesome intro once again sir. Second I must say the response I quoted above is just how I feel about it too. Well said, sir.

Mojo

Offline Vile

• XP: +10/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 11:28:43 PM »
I've just noticed that posts to this thread are rather appropriately titled "Re: Introduce Yourself!" :)

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 05:06:01 AM »
At Vile: it really bugs me that I missed that play on words.
Bravo, Sir!

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 05:10:14 AM »
Hey, thanks, Mojo. Really does cheer me up tonight to see that.
It's been a tough couple of days here, and I haven't been able to get any work done. But I slept all day, it's the middle of the night, and I'm about to break out the tablet and pen and see if I can come up with some stuff. I've been jotting down notes for a couple of weeks and have enough comic strip ideas for maybe six months' worth of material, so far. What's tough to come by is time at the moment. Kids. Ugh. Anyway, thanks again.
Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:42:23 PM by dmcourtemanche »