OSRGaming

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 15351 times)

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Introduce Yourself!
« on: January 29, 2016, 05:55:08 PM »
Feel free to reintroduce yourself here guys.

I got into gaming when I was in high school. It was Friday after school, spring break had just started, and my friends and I went to the local game store to pick up Axis & Allies. When we arrived, the friend who planned on buying it decided it was too expensive, but I saw the Basic Game box for 3.5 D&D. We were all intrigued so I picked it up and we headed back. I looked at how much was in there and decided I should read it over before we played. I spent that night reading it over, and getting used to the rules and we all met the next night to play and had a blast. We ended up going back to that game store every day during spring break to buy stuff for the game. I picked up the players box which came with a soft back PHB, minis, and dice, and they picked up PC minis, and I kept coming back for DMG, MM, and a DM Screen. The owners were really nice and helped us figure some of the rules out and were super helpful. Sadly when I returned after my first year of college it was already gone :/

We played 3.5 for a long time. I DMed from the start, and to this day, those players still don't even own a PHB. In university, my local store in Waco had some really beat up 1e hardbacks. I picked up the PHB, Legends & Lore, and Oriental Adventures and dove into them. I loved that it seemed like I didn't need minis or a battle mat, and the characters seemed so much less complex (and considering my players didn't even own a PHB, that was a good thing!). I happened to stumble upon RFI at the time, and I fell straight into the OSR. Dramaman helped me out by being my first 1e DM (only time before that I had been a player was in a pathfinder game I played in on maptools), and I've been in love with the OSR since. OD&D and B/X are now my goto systems, but I'm still getting the urge to run 1e & 2e at times.

Back then RFI had their own forums before OSRGaming was created, but I do want to thank everyone who has been through OSRGaming, and helped build it up. You made me the gamer I am. I've had a blast and I want to keep this community up for y'all!

Outside of gaming, I am a worship leader at my church, and teach saxophone and guitar lessons. I graduated from Baylor University in 2012 with a Bachelor of Music: Saxophone Performance and have been loving my job.

Offline Professor thork

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »
Hi, I'm Professor Thork-- and I'm an OD&D fanboy!

I'm too old to go into all my history--the way my generation is dropping like flies (have you seen the media lately?)--I ain't got the time.

So, I'll just make this one comment: I blame it all on Docmindswipe!  ::)

Offline tonybravo

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
Tony here. Started playing D&D back in the late 80s using Moldvay's red box. My games were few and far between as I had difficulty in finding people to play with. I recently reemerged into the RPG scene just over a year ago. Since then I've formed an online Wednesday session of B/X which I GM. Videos can be seen on my YouTube channel. I created the website http://www.BasicExpert.info which is a tool used by DMs who use the Moldvay ruleset. The site is always under construction and new features are always added.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:52:13 PM »
I've gotta add basicexpert.info is awesome. I use it for turn tracking in my BFRPG game, and have used it for plenty of other stuff in the past too :)

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
  • XP: +100/-0
  • “We can't stop here, this is bat country!”
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:49:55 PM »
hi everyone.

Ugh.. I want my red status back lol
Vincent Florio
Executive Producer of WGP Family of Podcasts
570-865-4210

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 09:51:29 PM »
It's back :)

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
    • Fire Born Games | Forged in Fire, Fun as Hell
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 10:29:02 PM »
Hi I'm Kalex, and I play D&D.

I am otherwise known as Alex Karaczun, President and CEO of Mischief, Inc. We publish AD&D® compatible adventures using the old 1980's full color cover style. Our adventures are also easy to convert to any of the versions of D&D available around that time (and their clones), and we think they're also great for use with newer versions of D&D as well, especially 5th Edition.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA with my wife, daughter and our 14-years young puppy. I play 1st Edition AD&D, but I am currently without a gaming group. Any Burgh'ers out there, PM if you are interested in starting a regular group. I could be interested depending on specific location.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 10:47:54 PM »
Welcome back everyone! Thanks for the spurt of activity! We can rebuild :)

Kalex, I've been meaning to pick up some of y'alls stuff for a long time. Do you have any product you personally love, or would suggest looking at first?

Offline smblackmon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 01:38:04 AM »
hello all,

glad to see site is back up was going through withdrawals  :o

Offline Vile

• Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 05:49:13 AM »
Hello, I'm Vile! No, not vile, Vile! I helped Vince edit the Mazes & Perils Holmes clone, and I'm the author of BLUEHOLME™, an altogether different Holmes clone. I started gaming with Moldvay Basic in '83, but quickly moved on to RuneQuest (2nd edition) where I stayed for the next 25 years. I only recently discovered the older editions of D&D, and all the goodness of the OSR, through the wonders of the intertubes. It's good to be back!  8)

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 08:57:23 AM »
Welcome back everyone! Thanks for the spurt of activity! We can rebuild :)

Kalex, I've been meaning to pick up some of y'alls stuff for a long time. Do you have any product you personally love, or would suggest looking at first?

Download The Tomb of Rakoss the Undying at that other OSR forum or from DriveThruRPG. It's PayWhatYouWant (essentially free) and will give you an idea what we are doing.

I should point out that the two modules available there are intended to be OSR Compatible, sort of an all things to all systems thing. With the departure of my partner Bob, I decided that we would go strictly 1st Edition AD&D with the products and people can convert as they have been doing for decades. What that means is that we are revising both of the modules you see there to be "for use with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games."

To that end we have a Kickstarter running now, First Edition Adventure Module A1 A Forgotten Evil. It is mainly for the module mentioned in the title, but Rakoss is getting the 1e treatment and it is the only way to get your hands on physical print copies of Rakoss. As is always the case, when we update the PDF on DTRPG you will be able to download the revised version then.

That was a bit long winded, but I hope I answered your question.  :)
Kalex

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 08:59:09 AM »
Hello, I'm Vile! No, not vile, Vile! I helped Vince edit the Mazes & Perils Holmes clone, and I'm the author of BLUEHOLME™, an altogether different Holmes clone. I started gaming with Moldvay Basic in '83, but quickly moved on to RuneQuest (2nd edition) where I stayed for the next 25 years. I only recently discovered the older editions of D&D, and all the goodness of the OSR, through the wonders of the intertubes. It's good to be back!  8)

Hey Vile! Nice to see you!

How's BLUEHOLME™ Compleat comming?
Kalex

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 09:01:48 AM »
smblackmon, I was having some of the same issues, plus the stress of it coming down on me. I'm still a bit stressed, but now that it's back up, and I realize there isn't really much I could have done to help save the forum, I'm coming down from it. I thought the database might get wiped when we transferred the domain, so my fear came true, just 3 months later xD Also welcome back Vile! Looking forward to seeing some more info about BLUEHOLME™ and your  PFHolmes (I already forgot the name sorry!)

Offline Vile

• Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 08:09:47 PM »
How's BLUEHOLME™ Compleat comming?
The end of the final edit of the manuscript is in sight, then the layout needs to be frozen. Then I can start contacting artists and setting up the crowd funding campaign ... so, 80% finished, 90% still to go! ;)

Offline RobertFisher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 09:01:01 AM »
Hello!

Last time I tried to register here, registration were closed. Long ago, I was fairly active of DragonsFoot, ENWorld, and some of the other forums. (And on USENET before that.)

I first learned about D&D when my mom showed me a magazine article about it. A bit later, my dad brought home a AD&D PHB he’d borrowed from a co-worker as inspiration for an Apple ][ game he was working on, but I couldn’t make much sense of it. (The 1e PHB not really being a “full game” but actually just a players guide.)

I bought a Moldvay set when I found it, and then the stand-alone Cook/Marsh booklet. I made my dad try to run it for me and a few friends. When going through the sample dungeon in the basic booklet, he read the entire description of the rooms, including the stuff we weren’t supposed to know! In B2, he got “ogre” confused with “orgy” when reading us a rumor!

I joined my first regular group, about 1984, and they played classic Traveller. Not too much later, we merged with another group, and we played both Traveller and AD&D. Eventually a little Warhammer FRP. I did play some 2e when it came out, but before the splat books and stuff came out.

By about 1990-1, I had decided that all forms of D&D were hopelessly obsolete. I thought I’d never play them again. I played a lot of GURPS, Rolemaster, Hârnmaster, HERO, and dabbled with a few others. Although, sometime in the middle of the decade, we played an AD&D2e side-game. (Again...just core.) I was pleasantly amazed by the simplicity of the game (compared to what we’d been playing) and the fact that I didn’t have to roll to cast a spell. (My mages in other games had so often felt incompetent.) But that didn’t yet bring me back to the old school...

In 2000, I was excited by 3e. It looked like exactly what I would have done if given the chance to rewrite D&D. But, I found myself never really happy with it. (Wizards’ had given me what I thought I wanted and proved that it wasn’t what I wanted.) I started revisiting the other systems I’d played (except D&D) and all the systems I hadn’t.

What I was enjoying were Gygax’s tales of the early days that they were publishing in Dragon at the time. I sought out similar stories online from Rob Kuntz and Mike Mornard and others. (And I keep wondering why we don’t have similar tales of GURPS from Steve Jackson or Traveller from Marc Miller.)

A link on Gygax’s web site led me to Dragonsfoot. I marveled that anyone was still playing those obsolete games. I had to understand why. Pretty soon, I started to get it. I broke out the old B/X and classic Traveller books again and found a new appreciation for them. By the time 3.5e came out, I was an old school convert.

Outside of gaming, I’m a computer programmer for a living and a guitarist for fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk