OSRGaming

Author Topic: I am fed up with the limited availability of 5E  (Read 1575 times)

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
I am fed up with the limited availability of 5E
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
More and more product is coming out for 5E.  I only buy PDFs, and am very annoyed that the core books are print-only.  I'm not going to spend $105 to buy the three core books from Amazon in a format I don't like, thanks.  If there were $10 DTRPG PDFs, I'd already be playing them, and buying the accessories they DO publish on DTRPG.

Anyone know why 5E is not being published digitally?  Anyone know when it might be in the future?

cheers,
Andrew
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: I am fed up with the limited availability of 5E
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »
I believe it is because when 4e came out, someone put out the .pdfs before the books were out to the public, so a lot of the anti-4e sentiment started before the books were even out. 5e of course has had lots of praise, and I personally quite like it. I wish they had legal .pdfs out there, but sadly not. I just had to find others to use when I'm at my pc and don't have my books handy. Hopefully they'll release them, but I don't know if they intend to release any of their books in .pdf.

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
I think it has something to do with fears over piracy or digital cannibalizing print sales.  Some people/companies haven't learned the lesson yet that started years ago with pirated music - sell it, or someone will provide it free.  I'm just not willing to break the law to get digital gaming books - if I cannot get them legally, I do without ... I already have an insurmountable "to read" pile that thanks to humble bundle now includes most of Traveler, Chapmions, Pathfinder and Fighting Fantasy ... I may not live long enough to get to 5E anyway, and I'm only 39!

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »
The digital version of 5e is now in beta at www.dndbeyond.com. Right now just info from the SRD is in the beta. The full system is suppose to launch this summer. There is suppose to be app for offline access also.

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 06:45:17 AM »
Thanks.  I wish they were selling pdfs instead of trying the subscription model.  Such is life.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »
Thanks.  I wish they were selling pdfs instead of trying the subscription model.  Such is life.

While they aren’t PDFs, the subscription is for accessing more than 6 characters in the character builder or for sharing your content with other players. If you just want electronic versions of the books then that is just one time purchases.  Plus the all the tools work with those products that you have purchased with no subscription fee.

The offline version of DDB through the iPhone and android apps being tested rijght now and works great. It is just Kindle like books for now.

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 08:58:25 PM »
Thanks i will look into it

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
  • XP: +101/-0
  • “We can't stop here, this is bat country!”
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 07:51:48 AM »

when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade - (google shows a bunch of sites with PDFs)
Vincent Florio
Executive Producer of WGP Family of Podcasts
570-865-4210

Offline Loma

• XP: +3/-0
  • Priestess of Hanali Celanil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 11:10:03 PM »

when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade - (google shows a bunch of sites with PDFs)

Google also shows a lot of results for "lemonade."
Jesus saves and takes half damage.

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
I'm not sure what these are, but in case you hadn't seen them (though I suspect you already thought about DriveThru):

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/44/Wizards-of-the-Coast/subcategory/9730_26307/Adventurers-League
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline RobJN

• XP: +1/-0
  • Dire Flumph
    • View Profile
    • Thorn's Chronicle
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
I'm not sure what these are, but in case you hadn't seen them (though I suspect you already thought about DriveThru):

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/44/Wizards-of-the-Coast/subcategory/9730_26307/Adventurers-League
Haven't ready any of them, but the Adventurer's League is the organized play program. I don't do organized play, so I'm not sure if these are "slices" of adventures related to the various "storylines" that WizBro has been putting out, if they're directly or indirectly related to said Big Book adventures... ???
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Blog | On Facebook | G+

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 09:36:54 AM »
I believe they're usually related to one of the big book campaigns they have out. I have thought of using them to supplement a campaign through one but haven't done so yet. I do wish we could get the actually released product in .pdf legally.