OSRGaming

Author Topic: My D&D Anniversary  (Read 9305 times)

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
My D&D Anniversary
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:00:12 PM »
I just realized that I started playing D&D almost exactly 10 years ago. i don't know the exact date, but the Friday my spring break started my senior year of high school in 2007, my friends and I went to our local game store to buy Axis & Allies. My friend ended up being too cheap, and I became intrigued when I saw the box set for the basic or beginner box for 3.5. I picked it up, read over the rules that night, and the next day my friends and I all played. That same day we played, we went back and I picked up a players handbook for 3.5, and every day we went back picking up minis, dice, and I ended up getting the DMG and MM as well. We played every night over spring break, and then weekly until we graduated. Freshman year of college I tried to get some players, but didn't manage to. Then I convinced my friends to play the next year, and soon afterwards found RFI and the 1e books at our local game store in Waco. Held together by masking tape, these books became like artifacts to us. We quickly delved into 1e, and I became entrenched in the OSR with all of you. At the time RFI just had their own forums on their website, and then OSRGaming became a reality. Thank you everyone for helping guide me along my journey in not only the OSR, but Tabletop roleplaying in general! You guys have definitely been a big help.

Currently, I work in the same school district I grew up in. I'm in the middle of my spring break as a teacher, so just using that holiday, I recently reached 10 years of playing D&D. Looking forward to 10 more!

How long have you all be playing? I'm sure much more than me!

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My D&D Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
Congratulations, my friend!

I've been playing off and on again for roughly 37 years.  Wow.  I can't believe it has been that long already.

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +13/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »
Dunno how I missed this? I blame GaryCon. ;)

Well, dating from this post I've been gaming approximately 38 years. I know I got the Holmes basic set at Christmas 1978 but I was 9 and had trouble "getting it" until I met the Delta Area Wargamers sometime in Spring 1979. I envy your knowing the exact date Dizzy!

DM (Good at a lot, but not in childhood memories) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:10:16 AM »
Hah! Sadly I don't actually know the exact date. I just happen to work for the same school district I grew up in, so I assume spring break is around the same time. Glad to hear y'alls time too!

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »
It's been about 10 years since I re-entered gaming. My original gaming career was from 82 to 89 then 18 years later it started up again. :)

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
It's been about 10 years since I re-entered gaming. My original gaming career was from 82 to 89 then 18 years later it started up again. :)

Why the gap, if you don't mind me asking?  I had  brief period of time when I stopped shortly after the birth of my second child and had become simply too busy with both career and parenting.

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »

Why the gap, if you don't mind me asking?  I had  brief period of time when I stopped shortly after the birth of my second child and had become simply too busy with both career and parenting.

I graduated from HS in 88 and joined the army. So I guess Christmas break of 88 was when phase one ended (my HS friends were home from college and I was home from the Army). I did pick up the 2e core books when I finished basic training in early 89 and tried to get my new army friends interested but couldn't find any takers. I did eventually find an RPG group on base but I didn't really like those guys so I only played with them once.

After the Army I was working full time and going to college full time and my HS gaming buddies all lived far away.  So I just never got back into it. I did pick up the 3e players handbook when it was released in 2000. I was interested but didn't know anyone that played then.

Then in 2005 I picked up a minis board game called Heroscape for my oldest son and I to play, and I thought this kind of reminds me of D&D. So I eventually bought some old 1e books and Moldvay basic off of eBay and started playing with my son a little. But I didn't start playing on a regular basis until 2008 when 4e was released. I actually played 3.5 for a few months until that group broke up and I started running some 4e.

In hindsight I should have tried harder to find a group to play with but I wasn't aware of game stores where people played until the WotC stores opened in the malls (I did get my Dragon Magazize CDs there).