OSRGaming

Author Topic: Should I read Marion Zimmer Bradley?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • XP: +1/-0
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
Should I read Marion Zimmer Bradley?
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »
A friend bought me a copy of The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. She had really enjoyed the novel, knew I like fantasy fiction, and thought that I would like it. I had never read any Bradley, but I am a fan of King Arthur fiction. I thought I would do a bit of research on the author.

Holy shit! What a depressing and upsetting result! I feel sick to my stomach. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/27/sff-community-marion-zimmer-bradley-daughter-accuses-abuse

I know I should try to separate the art from the artist, but I'm not sure I can in this case. I also don't want to tell my friend about Bradley's crimes and probably ruin a treasured memory for her.

What do you all think?
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Should I read Marion Zimmer Bradley?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »
I see allegations that will likely never lead to trial because the accused is dead. At this point, money spent on MZB's books certainly doesn't benefit her, so nobody has to consider whether or not they're helping support the accused.

I may go pick up more of her work because I don't think I read it all when it was published. I remember mostly liking what I read.
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • XP: +1/-0
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
Re: Should I read Marion Zimmer Bradley?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »
I guess that's all true. I just wonder if I can get over that the author was a lying, creepy pedophile.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!