OSRGaming

Author Topic: Favorite 3rd Edition Modules:  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Favorite 3rd Edition Modules:
« on: February 08, 2016, 08:01:59 PM »
My current favorite is the DD1-3 Series, of which i convert to 1st/2nd Edition AD&D for my current campaign.

However, these modules contain the Worst layout & formatting i have Ever seen in a game module,  even has Crooked maps in it !

You can also tell a lot of stuff has been left out of all 3 modules, & there are inconsistencies from what is described & what is on the maps !

The poor DM has to flip pages all over the place to find information that should be laid out in an, 'as you see & come to it basis', like the 1st & 2nd edition modules !

There is an Add-On for DD3: Fortress of th Yuan-Ti that details where you go for 3 Portals in the module, that can then go to the UnderMountain or DemonWeb Pits.

The modules are:
DD1: Barrow of the Forgotten King
DD2: The Sinister Spire
DD3: Fortress of the Yuan-Ti

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: Favorite 3rd Edition Modules:
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:36:01 AM »
Back when I was running 3.5 I was a high school/early college student so didn't buy any modules. A year or so ago I nearly picked up Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. The only 3rd edition module I own is the first set of Paizo's Rise of the Runelords "Burnt Offerings". I used it to kick off my Basic Fantasy RPG campaign.

Offline RobertFisher

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite 3rd Edition Modules:
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
I ran the Sunless Citadel, which I didn’t like. I got a couple more of the original series, but never ran them.

When I went back to Basic, though, I kept a folder with the free 3e adventures from their web site to fill out my sandbox. (Now on dndclassics.com for like $1 each.) I added a rumor for each to the rumors I was handing out. When the PCs took the bait for one, I’d just treat any calls for skill checks as auto success and sub in B/X monsters & treasures. I was happy with the results. No masterpieces but serviceable.

That is the extent of my experience with 3e modules.