OSRGaming

Author Topic: Biting the sour apple  (Read 13230 times)

Offline DocMindwipe

• Administrator
  • XP: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Biting the sour apple
« on: January 24, 2017, 05:35:46 AM »
I've bought the NeXT Players Handbook.... cost me £6.40....

I will say more when it arrives, just got the confirmation it's been Dispatched from NY, United States (wherever that is :P ) and should hopefully be with your favourite Norwegian-Mancunian shortly ;)

Just thought I'ld share my misfortune :P

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Biting the sour apple
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:15:12 AM »
Nice.  Good price.  Where did you order it from?
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline teaman

• XP: +1/-0
  • Sole proprieter of Sharp Mountain Games
    • View Profile
    • Sharp Mountain Games
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »
Do you mean the 5E players handbook?  It's nice, though I'm still playing old school.

Not sure that my group is ready to switch anyway.
Sole proprieter of Sharp Mountain Games.  Visit it at:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418/Sharp-Mountain-Games

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:15:33 AM »
I've run a but of 5e. It's certainly much more old school than 3e or 4e but still not quite there. My players like it a lot. It is ok. Definitely not my favorite game, but one I'm at least willing to run. Level 1 and 2 characters can still die extremely easily even when it looks like everything is bloated. My issues come that the game expects you to only be level 1 for 1 session. I was turned off by just the phb. It reads a lot more super powered than it actually is in play.

Offline DocMindwipe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:44 AM »
Nice.  Good price.  Where did you order it from?
Amazon reseller, had a £20 voucher from when I renewed my gas&electric supply contract (with 2 more to come, so DMG and MM is also in the pipelines).

So it ships from the US, but the postage is only £3 or so, so... not all bad, considering I actually paid (including postage) £6.20 or so :D

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
I have really enjoyed 5e and it has become my preferred edition. Prior to 5e I rotated between BX and 4e. Standard 5e sort of sits between those two and is in a good spot for me. I have also been bringing in some 4e goodness and at other times simplifying it to be closer to BX, and it has worked great. Also very easy to use adventures from all editions.

Offline DocMindwipe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
I have really enjoyed 5e and it has become my preferred edition. Prior to 5e I rotated between BX and 4e. Standard 5e sort of sits between those two and is in a good spot for me. I have also been bringing in some 4e goodness and at other times simplifying it to be closer to BX, and it has worked great. Also very easy to use adventures from all editions.
The last part is of great intrigue to me... if I want to, for example, play through one of the Golden ones (TAGDQ series springs to mind) you say it's fairly easily doable? Would you say it would be easier with NeXT than with previous d20 editions?

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
The last part is of great intrigue to me... if I want to, for example, play through one of the Golden ones (TAGDQ series springs to mind) you say it's fairly easily doable? Would you say it would be easier with NeXT than with previous d20 editions?

Pretty easy.  You can do sort of use the stats as written for 5e. The earlier edition monsters are typically weaker but usually encountered in greater numbers. On the Wizards website they have a document to convert from earlier editions to 5e.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:46:28 PM »
There are lots of 'Classic Edition to 5e' conversions on DMsguild that are pretty decent to. I only have the one for X2, but it looked like a solid conversion, didn't run it myself though. Typically 5e PCs and monsters have more hitpoints but do more damage, especially at low level. That is what helps make it seem like low level characters are super-heros, but they will die easily. Throughout 5e seems pretty deadly.

Offline Vile

• XP: +10/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 11:38:34 PM »
Typically 5e PCs and monsters have more hitpoints but do more damage, especially at low level.
That's what put a lot of people off trying the game based on initial reading (and why I try not to form an opinion until I've played a game RAW). In practice all it means is that there is more granularity, which does give you a bit more warning that you're about to die. Small differences like 1d6 damage vs. 1d8 damage are not that important - which, counter-intuitively, actually makes it more old-school than the variable weapon damage in B/X or AD&D, for example. A lot of people are also upset by cantrips that cause damage, but I much prefer those to spell casters throwing daggers everywhere.

I though the rapid rise to third level was a bit of a cop-out, and a half-hearted way of addressing the problem with the game that Gary himself allegedly acknowledged by his habit of starting PCs out at 3rd level. IMO they should have just bitten the bullet and toughened up 1st level.

Offline DocMindwipe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 07:30:21 AM »
Of course, without having actually read the full set of guidelines yet, I can't have a properly informed, objective viewpoint on these things, yet. Which is why I've decided to buy the books at a discount (Massive thank you to my energy supplier for those vouchers, by the way :lol)

From what I've heard and read of reviews, though, NeXT sounds to be a very good and solid game underneath the squibbles of low-level character power. Kinda hoping for a good NeXT game soon so I can get a proper feel for it myself

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline RobJN

• Dire Flumph
    • View Profile
    • Thorn's Chronicle
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 10:45:15 PM »
Prior to WotC's conversion guidelines coming out, Stan Shin cooked up some "on the fly" conversions that are close-enough-for-government-work at the gaming table:
http://swshinn.com/dnd-5e/5e-to-1e-combat-tracker/
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Blog | On Facebook | G+

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
I'm playing 5E with some students at school. It's fun. I'm thinking about purchasing the player's handbook just so I know what I'm doing.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 10:35:44 PM »
I've just started running a Curse of Strahd campaign in 5e. I still have little things about 5e that turn me off, but they're more in my head and not actually a thing in game. I think they did a great job with this adventure and so far my group is enjoying it.