OSRGaming

Poll

Which of the following classes would you like to see portrayed as female in an AD&D - inspired adventure comic strip?

Fighter Classes
1 (20%)
Cleric/Druid Classes
1 (20%)
Magic-Using Classes
0 (0%)
Thief, Acrobat, Bard
2 (40%)
Other Humanoid Or Class
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: February 06, 2016, 04:58:39 PM

Author Topic: Writer/Artist Query: Help A Grumpy Dad Feel Productive  (Read 2327 times)

dmcourtemanche

Writer/Artist Query: Help A Grumpy Dad Feel Productive
« on: February 03, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »
NOTE: I've edited this poll since I originally posted it, for a wider range of possibilities. Originally, I had set it specifically for BECMI/OD&D options, because I'm setting it in an independent campaign world I'll begin developing with the first story arc. That way I can keep it TSR-inspired without stepping on any of the work of all of the amazing writers, artists, and game designers or producers who gave us such brilliant material. So if you've already voted, feel free to modify any of your comments. I'm setting the poll back to zero, so feel free to vote again, otherwise I'll go off the comments I've gotten already; I'm keeping track of the results separately, in my own art morgue folder, as well. Hope that all makes sense.

Hi.
I haven't been on here as often as I'd planned over the past few days, so I've only gotten to interact very briefly with a few of you. But I'm working on a project that I've thought about for a long, long time. The concept is that of an adventure strip - along the lines of the early Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic books, with a cast of recurring characters and a dash of humor. I've got much of the cast worked out (I randomly generated them) and I'll post some drawings soon, if anyone is interested. But I'd like an additional female character aside from the one I don't want to reveal yet, so feel free to chime in. There will be other opportunities to offer ideas for other things later on, if I manage to get this going.

I've recently begun drawing after a five year hiatus, near as my wife and I can figure. I'm still a bit rusty, but I'm trying to challenge myself a bit and push the artwork just beyond the humor strips I've typically done in the past. None of those exist now, but that's a long story; the newest things I've done can be found at the pinterest link in my signature.

Drawing a humor strip can be fun, but there are so many thousands of webcomics that it's hard not to tread on well-worn territory, even in a niche as particular as that of roleplaying games. There are dozens of really excellent strips whose subject matter I don't want to duplicate accidentally. No artist wants to hear, "Hey, they did that in Knights Of The Dinner Table!" And it takes a long time to whittle down the text I usually want to write and squeeze it into a handful of frames. I'd like to try something more episodic - retaining the humor, but also stretching into larger story arcs.

All of it is to have fun, and keep me busy and involved, really, and ... okay, mostly, it'll give me an excuse to hide. I'm married and have three daughters, two of whom are out of high school. Having something to do will allow me to retain my sanity.
Hope everyone's having a good week.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:49:55 AM by dmcourtemanche »

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: Writer/Artist Query: Help A Grumpy Dad Feel Productive
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 10:14:05 PM »
Love the idea.

I picked thief, but dwarf would also be interesting. Does she have a beard or not!? Halfling could be a lot of fun. Fighter or Cleric could be interesting too. Elf or Magic-User would probably be the most cliche to me?

Offline Vile

• Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
Thief FTW!

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:57 AM »
Don't you feel like the female thief is kind of a played out nerd fantasy thing? She's hot, wears tight clothes to keep from knocking things over when she's burgling. She's kinda bad (read: naughty), which adds to the hotness factor. And she's got a wicked sense of humor, is deadly with knives (which she has hidden all over her body) and hangs out with a bunch of big burly manly-man types.

I voted for dwarf, because that hasn't been done often at all in my opinion. She's gonna be short, stocky, bad-ass in a way usually reserved for men. She may not have that playful bunny sense of humor, in fact she may be a little dour, taciturn, but that could be played up for humor at times. She might even have a beard!  :o
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming, anyone else who comes by.
I'll put up a few image links in the afternoon sometime. Awesome. Thanks for the responses. Helps. I really want this to be a cool kind of participatory idea.

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
I just edited the poll: notes in my original comment.
Thanks a bunch, adventurers and DM's: this'll help a lot. Artwork links on the way later, based upon suggestions. And I'll try to add some sketches or roughs of characters I've already established, along with stats and notes or maps on the game world.

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 09:39:49 PM »
We had some setbacks here at Courtemanche Central. Illness in the family.
But I haven't forgotten about the artwork and touching back with anyone who's interested.
It's been a rough, rough, rough week.
Hope everyone's doing great and enjoying their respective games and campaigns.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »
Hey I hope you're feeling better as well as your family! Still looking forward to seeing more work :)

Mojo

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 12:09:26 PM »
Dang I am sorry I missed voting. I would have voted for the Druid/ Cleric (but really for the Druid class). I am really excited to see the art work man.

Hey Dizzy how about a sub forum where artists could archive stuff like their adventure strips, or even E-comics? Have it like a Gallery. Or at least a place where they could place their links to go to a web site to see their work maybe.

mojo

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 03:47:27 PM »
Hey Dizzy how about a sub forum where artists could archive stuff like their adventure strips, or even E-comics? Have it like a Gallery. Or at least a place where they could place their links to go to a web site to see their work maybe.
This is the sub-forum for artwork and stuff. If there is a large enough interest, I'll make a page for it on the main website once it goes live.