OSRGaming

Author Topic: What editions are y'all playing?  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
What editions are y'all playing?
« on: October 31, 2016, 09:38:56 AM »
I'm curious what everyone is running or playing in their home/online games.

I'm currently running 5e, and playing DCC. I've been itching to play 1e again after a few years off of it.

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: What editions are y'all playing?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »
My game started as Dark Dungeons.  I then bolted on every class I was interested in from LL+AEC and OSRIC, kits I liked from Infinity Engine era computer games, and a psionicist class that is roughly based on 2E, but with the complicated bits redone with a 'classic' mentality.

I have done the same for just about everything except combat (monsters, spells, magic items etc), which is still pretty close to Dark Dungeons.

That was a long-winded way of saying 'home brew'.  :)

I strongly prefer BECMI, 2E and the clones that emulate those two systems.  If 1E had been the first set I read, I might not have dug in too deeply - the writing style does not suit me at all.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »
Running two 1e/2e games on Roll20.net. Also an assistant DM in another.

The world being set in Mischief's 'Twelve Kingdoms'. Though the group is currently in another far off part of the world right now.

The monday game just started with "N4: Treasure Hunt" & going into "N5: Under Illefarn" then the Dark Sun modules.

The one i am DM'ing has been through these modules so far:

Twelve Kingdoms Campaign Adventure modules, so far has been:

5th Session for "Mystery at Port Greely", September 18th - October 23th, 2016
1st Brief Session for "Mystery At Port Greely", September 18, ~ 1 hour

9 Sessions for "RL1: Craft Dungeon of Reynaldo Lazendry", July 23rd - September 18th, 2016
5 Sessions for "Buried Zikurat", June 18th, 2016 - July 17th, 2016
5 Sessions & 30 minutes for "JD1: Cess-Pit of the Bog-Mother", May 14th, 2016 - June 18th, 2016
5 Sessions for "DNH1: The Lost Temple of Forgotten Evil", April 9th, 2015 - May 8th, 2016
1 Session for "DD3: Fortress of the Yuan-Ti", April 2, 2015 - party will venture back to this one later !
19 Sessions for "DD2: The Sinister Spire", November 7th, 2015 - March 26th, 2016
13 Sessions for "DD1: Barrow of the Forgotten King"; August 15th, 2015 - Oct. 31st, 2015
2 Sessions & 20 minutes) for "CG1: Lair of Largash the Lurid"; August 1st, 2015 - Aug 15th, 2015
3 sessions for "Scourge of the Howling Horde"; July 11th - July 26th, 2015
7 Sessions for "C3: Lost Island of Castanamir; May 10th - June 27th, 2015
11 Sessions for "DCC24: Legend of the Ripper"/"DF30: A Village with No Name"; Feb. 21st - May 10th, 2015
15 sessions for "1A: The Inheritance; November 8th, 2014 - Feb. 14th, 2015

After "Mystery at Port Greely" we will maybe be going into "Lost Mines of Phandelver" (upped for 6-7th level) & definitely "DD3: Fortress of the Yuan-Ti"

Going through the portals in DD3 will take the group to I1 & I2 as well & possibly another.

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +14/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »
I'm playing in the usual 2E game of Chase's....and still bitching about proficiencies every chance I get. ;)

DM (Good at skills, not proficiencies) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:48:27 PM »
I am playing 5e these days. I play on and off with the kids when we have time and I am joining a new adult group this Friday. I will be a player in this game (my first time as a player in 5e).

Offline Serian

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »
Homebrew modified 1E

Offline sgtslag

• View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »
2nd Edition, but not the whole of 2.5 additions.  I almost did not invest in 2nd, when it came out.  Since then (1989), I've never wanted to learn a new rules system.  1st/2nd is good enough for me.  I try to let the rules fade into the background, concentrating on the story the group is collectively telling/experiencing.  Did that with 1st Ed. rules, but I loved the system tweaks in 2nd, so I bought into it, up to a point.

Whatever Edition you are playing, have fun with it!  Cheers!
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »
1e + UA + Dragon Magazine classes and a couple of races and Good Hits and Bad Misses for good measure.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline DM_Screenmonkey

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 07:07:16 PM »
Just finished up an OD&D game. Now we're trying Castles and Crusades out again some of my players prefer it as they grew up on 1st edition so I'm giving it a try again. So far it's not bad it's a nice AD&D lite to me and it gives the rest of the group an AD&D feel. I also tend to use a lot less house rules then I did when I run a AD&D game.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »
Thanks for all the answers guys! Interesting how this relates to my other thread on what edition do you associate with the OSR. It seems most people playing in OSR games, or playing AD&D, yet most of the material being produced is OD&D and BD&D.

That said, AD&D 1e has been on my mind lately and I've been wanting to run it thinking back on my past campaigns with it.

Offline sgtslag

• View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »
I'm prepping to run a 1st Ed. game at a con, in January.  Made up 9 characters to hand out to the players, last night.  Wow...  Took a while to sift through everything for non-Human characters.  Forgot so many details for 1st.  Will be interesting to be DM'ing that version again, as I am sooo into 2nd Ed. rules, and there are differences.  I did not realize how fewer the number of spells were in the core books!  Cheers!
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!

Offline hive_mind

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »
Lately we've been playing 5e, S&W, and The Black Hack.  They've all been quite fun, each for their own particular reasons.

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 08:52:39 PM »
Thanks for all the answers guys! Interesting how this relates to my other thread on what edition do you associate with the OSR. It seems most people playing in OSR games, or playing AD&D, yet most of the material being produced is OD&D and BD&D.

That said, AD&D 1e has been on my mind lately and I've been wanting to run it thinking back on my past campaigns with it.

Unabashed promotion here, but Mischief, Inc. designs exclusively for AD&D 1e. Just sayin'.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • XP: +1/-0
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 09:14:07 PM »
I'm playing in Teaman's weekly Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game on Roll20. It's a blast! Give me BX/LL/BFRPG every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Rolled 1d20 : 20, total 20
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!

Offline hive_mind

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: What editions are yall playing
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 01:45:20 PM »
Been playing Star Wars Battlefront II and the Mega Man X games on an SNES emulator. Im looking for some suggestions on what to grab at the Steam Sale though...

Might get some better recommendations from an actual computer/console game forum, rather than a pen & paper roleplaying game forum.  That being said, Vermintide is pretty fun and on sale for 50% off this weekend.