OSRGaming

Author Topic: Favorite House Rules  (Read 4536 times)

Offline DM Keith

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite House Rules
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 08:42:01 PM »
I now use Ascending AC.  I just do the simple arithmetic on the fly.

Max hp at 1st, mostly to help magic users.

Natural 20 is crit, and they get a choice of max damage from their weapon or rolling double damage. But Not both.

Natural 0 is a fumble. I used to have a fumble table back in the day. That was fun and funny (for me anyway... bwa ha ha)

I've finally thrown in the towel and let them do a Perception Roll.  They love doing perception. Just love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I hate pickles."

Offline DM Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
Do y'all use spell components?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I hate pickles."

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 08:18:37 PM »
I've used spell components in different fashions. The best thing about requiring components is that it limits the use of spells on extended outings, which can make MUs really cautious about unleashing some of their best spells.

I think the approach I liked best was to simply handwave components for 1st and 2nd level spells by charging a couple of gold pieces for generic components kept in a couple of small pouches and readily available in most places. Higher level spells required specific components that had to be tracked.
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Offline DM Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »
I've used spell components in different fashions. The best thing about requiring components is that it limits the use of spells on extended outings, which can make MUs really cautious about unleashing some of their best spells.

I think the approach I liked best was to simply handwave components for 1st and 2nd level spells by charging a couple of gold pieces for generic components kept in a couple of small pouches and readily available in most places. Higher level spells required specific components that had to be tracked.

That'd be especially helpful for new players. It makes bookkeeping simple early on while the players learn the system.  Good idea.
"I hate pickles."