OSRGaming

Author Topic: Alarums & Excursions  (Read 2296 times)

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Alarums & Excursions
« on: August 11, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »
These are now sold for $2 per PDF.

Hurray!

Any advice on which 'must have' issues are out there?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:18:05 PM by outlander78 »
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Vile

• XP: +10/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
Re: Alarums & Excursions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 03:29:03 AM »
Has anyone done indexes for these yet? I really want to get the Holmes issues. I know his short stories are in #11, #13, #14, #17, and #19, but I wonder what other goodies there are - and not necessarily by JEH himself, as long as they are related to Holmes Basic.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:31:46 AM by Vile »

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Alarums & Excursions
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »
I bought 1-4 and 8.  The PDFs are very readable.  Whoever scanned them (it wasn't Lee) packed in the images in a way that makes the PDFs slow to load and read, even on my new 8-core i7 PC.  Other than that quibble, fun to read.  I'll try to post back about them once I get into them more.

Here is a quote from the first one - fun tidbit:

Tom Digby: Somebody mentioned talking about things in O&O jargon and mentioned that Kimball Kinnison has about a 16 Intelligence. These attributes are obtained for a character by rolling three sixsided die, with a possible range of 3 to 18, a mean of 10.5 and a standard deviation of about 2.96 .... The mensa cutoff is the 98th percentile and comes out to 16.5 Intelllgence.  The normal curve has one person in a thousand about 19.5 though; something you can never get with three dice. This may mean that there are a number of people in fandom whose Intelligence is greater than can exist In a D&D world.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.