OSRGaming

Author Topic: My Top 5 Favorite 1st Edition Adventure Modules  (Read 8276 times)

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: My Top 5 Favorite 1st Edition Adventure Modules
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 03:41:28 PM »
X2 is one of my favorite module I've ever run. I have A1-3 and the hack master version of A1-4 but have never run them. I will need to do so at some point.

Offline DM Keith

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »
S4    Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
S2   White Plume Mountain
A1   Slave Pits of the Undercity
A2   Secret of the Slavers Stockade
A3   Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords
A4   In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
I6   Ravenloft

More than five, but these modules made up the most rip-snorting campaign I ever ran, from ~1982 to 1985, in college, drinking beer.
We played in secret... because we liked girls :-)

Tsonjcanth remains one of my all-time faves to this day... it's almost like a setting (in my mind).

Keith
"I hate pickles."

Julia2207

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I've never played or ran any of these
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:44:33 PM by DocMindwipe »

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 08:54:12 PM »
T1 was the first published module I ever saw. That's what I was handed to run when recruited to DM for a group, so I saw down and read that thing straight through four times to get it in my head. Then the group headed into the A series. Those top my list, prolly because those were my introduction to the game (yeah, I was a DM long before ever sitting as a player).

T1 Village of Hommlet
A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity
A2 Secrets of the Slavers Stockade
WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
B2 Keep on the Borderlands

Keep on the Borderlands was the first module I experienced as a player. From reading it afterwards, I can say the DM didn't play it as written!
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 11:53:18 PM »
Then the group headed into the A series. Those top my list, prolly because those were my introduction to the game (yeah, I was a DM long before ever sitting as a player).

I was in that same position as well! Interesting perspective to come in from.

Offline bbarsh

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
    • pacesettergames.com
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »
The key for me is "favorite." I don't consider my favorite to be TSR's best. I guess its the sentimentality for me that determines best. I am one of those old guys who was buying these as they came out, so my perspective is also different than some others. Each TSR module was fantastic - there wasn't anything else to compare them to.

In no particular order:
T1 The Village of Hommlet - I still think its Gary's best. (and per the question above, T1 was not modified in T1-4).

U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh - It is really hard to surprise players in this age of D&D, but back then, my group was completely shocked to discover the "secret." Great adventure and presented perfectly.

B1 In Search of the Unknown - The king of dungeon crawls.

A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade - Just a fantastic adventure from all angles. It has a little bit of everything and its done well. Memorable encounters, challenging for players and their PCs.

X4 Master of the Desert Nomads - A module that no one talks about but everyone should. Yes, I know its for the Expert set, but who cares. It works for AD&D as well.

And because I need to say this, G1-3, A1-4, S1-4, et al, are not modules. They are compilation books.

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 09:08:53 AM »
Cool list! A lot of good ones there!

When I bought G1-2-3 the monochrome individual modules were not available any longer. The front cover of the forest green G1-2-3 says "Adventure Module." I think for the purposes of these lists whatever you played as a single unit is acceptable as a "module." I never played Scourge of the Slavelords, I played A1, A2, A3, and A4, but I wouldn't nitpick someone who listed it as one module.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline bbarsh

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
    • pacesettergames.com
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 07:57:45 AM »
Cool list! A lot of good ones there!

When I bought G1-2-3 the monochrome individual modules were not available any longer. The front cover of the forest green G1-2-3 says "Adventure Module." I think for the purposes of these lists whatever you played as a single unit is acceptable as a "module." I never played Scourge of the Slavelords, I played A1, A2, A3, and A4, but I wouldn't nitpick someone who listed it as one module.

I am not knocking the compilation modules. Just making a point they were not designed that way - as a single adventure. The individual modules that make up a compilation book can vary wildly in quality. I guess all I am saying is that comparing the compilations to other stand-alones is sort of apples and oranges. It's real easy to love GDQ as a book. But lets face it, not all of the modules that are included rate very high.
It may sound like I am nitpicking someone's preference. I am not. Far from it - seeing people's choices is great regardless of  what I think of a particular choice. Maybe I am doing a poor job of explaining my point of view; it wouldn't be the first time.
And to further complicate my estranged point of view, I don't consider T1-4 a compilation module. Yes, I know it includes T1; but they only did that because there was such a time-lapse between the releases. The majority of T1-4 is new material as opposed to the other compilations which were just reprints of previously released material.

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +14/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
Like Barsh noted, my 'faves' are as colored by what I could get at the time as anything else.

1. G1: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief - The mono version, bought from Sears no less! A good stand alone, and I had several players rescue the orc tribe to become their 'king'....to cause lots of trouble in the campaign world.

2. U2 Danger at Dunwater - I never had U1 and U3 until the late 1980s but I played U2 to death. The lizard man tribe was unusual in its motivations and there was real story hooks there.

3. B2: Keep on the Borderlands - Yes I know its not AD&D but we played it using 1E more than any other module; regardless of "E".

4. I6: Ravenloft - When it first came out, this was a seminal module and really unusual in a lot of ways. Unfortunately it was wrecked over the next decade.

5. A4: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords - Again didn't have A1-3 until the late 1980s-early 1990s. This module's start was unusual compared to the standard power-gaming of my Middle School years. As the usual DM, I really enjoyed depriving all the PCs of their high level goodies!

DM (Good at likeing what he likes) Mike

The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline RobJN

• XP: +1/-0
  • Dire Flumph
    • View Profile
    • Thorn's Chronicle
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
No love for N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God:'(

Most of my modules are for BECMI D&D, but N1 is my all time favorite AD&D module. With Ravenloft running a close second.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Blog | On Facebook | G+

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +14/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »
N1 is very cool, but I've never run it...only played in it. ;)

DM (Good at grading only mods he's DMed and played) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 08:34:16 PM »
No love for N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God:'(

N1 probably falls in my Top 10, or worst case just outside it. 11 or 12 at worst. Orlane is a great starting point/home base!
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline longfoot

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 04:08:25 PM »
Kudos on N1. That module has a lot of sandbox potential to break out from.
I would put N1 in my top 5.

I'd also put T1, village of hommelet.
Then the entire T1-4

Then U1 sinister secret of saltmarsh.

I also loved OA1, Swords of the Daimyo because it was the first and only Oriental Adventures module I ran.

I would also round things off with I6. Ravenloft was just awesome. 

Offline BuckBackup

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 05:36:44 PM »
#1  B2 Keep on the Borderlands - It was my introduction to the game.  Burned into my mind.

#2 B2 Keep on the Borderlands (25th Anniversary Edition) - Yes, for 2E but I ran a party of adults through this when I first got back into gaming as an adult (if that's what you call me).  We had a blast and most of us are still into a regular game several years later.  Having a more mature perspective of the Keep and its citizens really brought the place to life.

#3 U1 Saltmarsh - as was mentioned, you can really surprise players with this one.

#4 Tsojcanth - I'll never forget my players lobbing the fireball into the couatl's nest only to have most of it blow back in their face.

#5 Wandering Trees - May I include something from Dragon #57?  An ancient Druidic compound deep in a forest of trees of constantly changing pathways.

Thanks for the topic, what fun to see people's reactions to these classics.  I love all the comments about being throw into the DM role by a group.  Very similar to my own experience.

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• XP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »
... I love all the comments about being throw into the DM role by a group.  Very similar to my own experience.

I've always wondered how many folks began as DMs instead of playing first.
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.