OSRGaming

Author Topic: My Top 5 Favorite 1st Edition Adventure Modules  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
My Top 5 Favorite 1st Edition Adventure Modules
« on: January 31, 2016, 09:22:57 AM »
I thought it would be fun to post my Top 5 Favorite Adventure Modules for AD&D, and ask others here to do the same.

Honorable Mention: I3 Pharaoh

Our thief got a ring of contrariness and refused to follow the party leader's direction through Kordan's Master Maze. Funny and frustrating all at the same time!

5. G1-2-3 Against the Giants

Battle royale in the Hill Giant Chief's Long Hall. Many dead, both giants and adventurers!

4. U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Awesome starting adventure. I wish Saltmarsh were detailed. That would have moved it up in the rankings. Paladin died without ever reaching the Haunted House, killed by a random Giant Weasel encounter!

3. L2 The Assassin's Knot

Best mystery adventure written for any edition.

2. T1 The Village of Hommlet

Best introductory adventure written. Provides a great home base for adventurers and an interesting and fun story.

1. I6 Ravenloft

Gothic horror done right! The first run through of this adventure provided some of the most memorable, creepy moments we've ever had playing AD&D.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: My Top 5 Favorite 1st Edition Adventure Modules
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I've never played or ran any of these. I picked up the .pdfs for G1-3 and U1 recently though, and have had T1-4. Is there anything in T1 missing in the T1-4 book?

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »
I haven't played many of these since we didn't use many published modules back in my youth. However, I did enjoy the U series and the original Dragonlance saga.

I haven't played the G series but I did play the 4e remake of them. It was a lot of fun. :)

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 06:08:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I've never played or ran any of these. I picked up the .pdfs for G1-3 and U1 recently though, and have had T1-4. Is there anything in T1 missing in the T1-4 book?

You know I have both, but never read Frank's treatment of T1 in the compilation.  :-\
Kalex

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Mojo

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 08:33:53 AM »
I have only played very few modules. Our group was too poor to buy them. We played one with a giant about to kill a fighter on the cover. That was the first one, and I am currently playing Keep on the Borderlands for the first time with Dizzy as our DM. We are using BFRPG rules, and it is a blast!!!

I think the AP Podcast I am in with Vince as the DM is using a module, but don't know for sure. Like I said, all of our games were home brewed ones.

So I will say if Vince's game is a module then the 3 I have played would have to be my favorites.

Mojo

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:41:20 AM »
Thanks Mojo! I believe Vince pretty much never uses modules, so I'd be surprised. He's an extremely creative guy and makes up some awesome stuff himself!

Offline Professor thork

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:58:25 AM »
Well for me, the G 1-2-3 take up 3 slots themselves. Each is awesome unto itself (watering down the treasure, of course!)
I like the U 1, and even the idea behind the U 2; the U 3 totally disappointed me. But if a better end module came along, the story arc would be great.
S 3 is on my list, since it was (at the time) such a radical combining of genres.
And, naturally, the C 1; not as a tourney event, but fully fleshed out into a greater campaign--sheer awesomeness! Characters explore the 'New World'

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 10:02:19 AM »
I haven't played S3, but recently purchased it on ebay. I want to run it for my DCC group when they get in the appropriate level range. Hoping to get a hard copy of G1-3 soon. I've heard similar things about U3 in the past.

I've ran some of the UK Modules in the past as well. I think it was UK2 & 3, the ones that are linked. The Sentinel & Gauntlet I believe. They were pretty good too!

Mojo

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 10:23:40 AM »
Even though I have not had the chance to go through one of Thorky's Modules, I would still say that he is one of if not the best OSR module author out there today.

Mojo

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »
I would guess T1 has artwork that is not in the T1-4 module.

In i3-5 Desert of desolation, there is a missing description for a bedroom area & the original individual modules have artwork not in the bigger compilation.

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 08:10:42 AM »
I always felt that using modules didn't have to be an either/or situation. A lot of people say things in response to posts like this such as, "I write my own." I always felt that came off as a little superior sounding. I write my own too. I would sometimes tell a story using the modules and sprinkle my own adventures in between (modules don't often supply the needed XP for the next in the series), or conversely I would write my own campaign, and sprinkle the modules in between for a break from writing on a deadline. I've also done campaigns of entirely modules, or entirely of my own creation. These are just my favorites of the modules I have run, or read. :)
Kalex

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »
I always felt that using modules didn't have to be an either/or situation. A lot of people say things in response to posts like this such as, "I write my own." I always felt that came off as a little superior sounding. I write my own too. I would sometimes tell a story using the modules and sprinkle my own adventures in between (modules don't often supply the needed XP for the next in the series), or conversely I would write my own campaign, and sprinkle the modules in between for a break from writing on a deadline. I've also done campaigns of entirely modules, or entirely of my own creation. These are just my favorites of the modules I have run, or read. :)

I'm right with you on all of that Kalex! Throughout my 3.5 career, I didn't run any modules. I barely could afford the core books, so I certainly wasn't spending money on modules. Once I got into 1e in college I picked up b2 and ran that to introduce my group, then mostly ran my own stuff, sprinkled in some free stuff from dragonsfoot, or some of thorkies modules. Now that I'm working, I've picked up a few more modules, so I still like to run my own stuff, I also want to experience some of the classic modules that I've never ran or played.

Offline kevinwatson

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
Mine are series more so that individual modules.

1: U1-3 Saltmarsh - Really loved these. They work so well and in a large way inspired my Arapa series that is coming in a year or so.
2: DA 1-4 - Dave Arneson's Blackmoor. Nothing. More. To. Be. Said.
3: X2 Castle Amber - played it. The guy was an artist DM. Never wanted to run it for fear I wouldn't do it justice.
4:A0-4 - Slaver series. Liked the introduction adventure A0 that was added to the hardback collectors edition. Ran it 8 times at Origins 2013. Always loved the originals, 1-4. For something written over 30 years later, I thought A0 really captured the feel of them.
5:D1-3 - Descent into the Depths. Liked them much more than G1-3 or Q1, personally.

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »
Mine are series more so that individual modules.

1: U1-3 Saltmarsh - Really loved these. They work so well and in a large way inspired my Arapa series that is coming in a year or so.
2: DA 1-4 - Dave Arneson's Blackmoor. Nothing. More. To. Be. Said.
3: X2 Castle Amber - played it. The guy was an artist DM. Never wanted to run it for fear I wouldn't do it justice.
4:A0-4 - Slaver series. Liked the introduction adventure A0 that was added to the hardback collectors edition. Ran it 8 times at Origins 2013. Always loved the originals, 1-4. For something written over 30 years later, I thought A0 really captured the feel of them.
5:D1-3 - Descent into the Depths. Liked them much more than G1-3 or Q1, personally.

I never played the other Saltmarsh series modules. On my bucket list!
Never played the DA's either. Bucket List!
Loved DMing X2. IT.WAS.SO.MUCH.FUN!
I also like A0. Very well done and fits in well with the other four.
D Series is a lot of fun, creepy, classic Underdark. Shrine of the Kuo-toa was my favorite of the three.
Kalex

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline kevinwatson

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
I never played the other Saltmarsh series modules. On my bucket list!
Never played the DA's either. Bucket List!
Loved DMing X2. IT.WAS.SO.MUCH.FUN!
I also like A0. Very well done and fits in well with the other four.
D Series is a lot of fun, creepy, classic Underdark. Shrine of the Kuo-toa was my favorite of the three.

You'll likely enjoy them. Send a post game report.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:41:00 PM by DizzySaxophone »