OSRGaming

Author Topic: [Holmes] The Holmes Cleric  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Vile

• XP: +10/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
[Holmes] The Holmes Cleric
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
I came across this little tidbit today, and it got me thinking about what the distinguishing characteristics of the Holmes cleric might be. From NON-PLAYER CHARACTERS, page 8 of the Blue Book:

"[...] clerics want some assurance of having a place of worship in which to house themselves."

Note, not "[...] in which to pray." but "[...] in which to house themselves."

It seems clerics are more concerned with their physical comforts than their spiritual duties - the Father Ted approach to clericism.  :D

What other little snippets have you found that characterise the Holmes cleric? And yes, I am deliberately reading too much into the wording!

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +13/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
Re: [Holmes] The Holmes Cleric
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »
Well, the anti-cleric comes to mind but I'll have to look to see specifics. Wonder if s/he wants housing too?

Speaking of Classic clerics, I've met a lot of people who get indignant about the 1st level cleric not getting a spell. Its as if the ability to drive off undead isn't really valuable? Maybe its because I like using undead, but that power certainly comes in handy in my games every now and then.

Besides, scrolls are so cheap (100 gp for a 1st lvl scroll) I can't imagine why they think its a deal breaker.

More as it comes to me...

DM (Good at brandishing his holy item at undead) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline Vile

• XP: +10/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
Re: [Holmes] The Holmes Cleric
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:25:46 PM »
Scrolls are another interesting one. As written, there are no rules (nor even a mention) of clerical scrolls in Holmes. Although the scroll table doesn't specify whether spells are clerical or magical, the description clearly states that "The spells written on the scrolls can be read only by magic-users, except for the protection spells". Everything is about magic-users, with no mention of how the unusual scrolls are created. By unusual I mean the scrolls replicating the results of potions, rings, or wands, as well as scrolls of protection.

In the spirit of reading too much into the RAW, I would rule that there are no clerical scrolls. 1st level clerics have to prove their faith before they get access to specific miracles other than their already awesome turn undead ability.