OSRGaming

Author Topic: Magic Items  (Read 4083 times)

Offline lastgrasp

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Magic Items
« on: January 30, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »
I'm currently running a Labyrinth Lord Campaign(with AEC) and we are about to start session 3. Everyone is level 1. I was curious how everyone handled magic item acquisitions. Do you have a rule of thumb of when and how many magic items a PC should have at each level? For me I usually have +1 items for 1-5, +2 for 6-10, +3 for 11-15. Magic potions and consumables I don't mind giving out. Just interested in how everyone handles it.
Check out my OSR Blog. Random Encounters, New Monster, New Magic Items, and more!

http://creaturespotlight.blogspot.com/

Offline dramaman

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Items
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 07:37:19 PM »
I'm currently running a Labyrinth Lord Campaign(with AEC) and we are about to start session 3. Everyone is level 1. I was curious how everyone handled magic item acquisitions. Do you have a rule of thumb of when and how many magic items a PC should have at each level? For me I usually have +1 items for 1-5, +2 for 6-10, +3 for 11-15. Magic potions and consumables I don't mind giving out. Just interested in how everyone handles it.

I'm kind of stingy, mostly scrolls and spells, rings and miscellaneous minor magical items at lower levels, with the occasional magical weapon for a major encounter accomplishment.
Gnomes are cool. Gnome Illusionist Thieves are WAYYY cool!

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:53:52 PM »

I'm kind of stingy, mostly scrolls and spells, rings and miscellaneous minor magical items at lower levels, with the occasional magical weapon for a major encounter accomplishment.

This is essentially exactly how I am. Maybe because Dramaman was my first OSR DM, and is the DM who I've played under the most.

Offline smblackmon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:38:45 PM »
I don't mind giving out magic items the more I give out the more I can let my monsters unleash theirselves. As the party gets higher level I try to make them use their abilities and ideas rather than magic items.

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:43:51 AM »
I don't really have a system or formula for handing out magic items. In OSR games I randomly generate it much of the time.

Offline RobertFisher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
I give magic items to NPCs where it makes sense. (Or ones that an NPC in the past might have owned in ruins.) I try to make them unique. No connection to how many PCs there are or what level they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:57:04 AM »
I use the treasure types and random generation tables for the most part. The only changes I make is that if a weapon type is one that no one in the party uses I will often change it to a more common weapon type. I also do the same with other treasure types if I feel a specific item won't or can't be used by the party.

Another thing I do is absolutely re-roll when wildly powerful items come up (rarely) for a low level party.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Mojo

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 04:23:55 PM »
First I think magic items have to be unique. It cannot be just a +1 sword. As far has handing out magical stuff it is my view that players earn them by victory of either beast, monster or BBG. On rare cases magical stuff is found in ruins. Over all magical stuff is super rare to find and have. That is my 2 cents anyway.

Mojo

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 06:47:46 PM »
First I think magic items have to be unique. It cannot be just a +1 sword. As far has handing out magical stuff it is my view that players earn them by victory of either beast, monster or BBG. On rare cases magical stuff is found in ruins. Over all magical stuff is super rare to find and have. That is my 2 cents anyway.

Mojo

You might like Mischief, Inc.'s products then. We add a Lore: section at the end of each encounter where a magic item of note can be recovered. The lore is specific to the Twelve Kingdoms setting which houses my home campaign, but at the very least offers a very easily modifiable seed of an idea for the history and sometimes former owners of an item.

This was really implemented fully in our upcoming release A Forgotten Evil, but the beginnings of the idea can be seen in The Inheritance. The upcoming revisions (rewrites) of both The Inheritance and The Tomb of Rakoss the Undying will contain full implementation as well.
Kalex

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »
I basically just let the adventurers take what they find in any given module & may make a few tweaks, like Kalex mentions.

If they can't use the item, they can put it away for later or sell it.

Also, right now, i am not currently using the XP gained from finding/using magic items, during the low level modules, as mentioned in a previous post in another thread.

That being done because i like the pace of the characters leveling up, at about 1 level per 2 modules, right now.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:31:25 PM »
Kalex that sounds awesome! I'm glad you do that totally adds more to your world. I need to start looking at magic-items more like that!

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 09:08:48 AM »
Kalex that sounds awesome! I'm glad you do that totally adds more to your world. I need to start looking at magic-items more like that!

Thanks Dizzy! One of my most oft heard (and spoken) complaints about any edition of D&D is that the magic items (ostensibly the recovery of which is often the object of an adventure) are throw away items once a better one is found. This is something we recognized early on when paladins were throwing away their father's (normal) sword, or armor for a piece found in the crypt of some unknown stranger. At least this way, when the +1 longsword is no longer useful, the party can attempt to track down the family of it's most famous wielder and return it to them for posterity.
Kalex

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Mojo

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »

Thanks Dizzy! One of my most oft heard (and spoken) complaints about any edition of D&D is that the magic items (ostensibly the recovery of which is often the object of an adventure) are throw away items once a better one is found. This is something we recognized early on when paladins were throwing away their father's (normal) sword, or armor for a piece found in the crypt of some unknown stranger. At least this way, when the +1 longsword is no longer useful, the party can attempt to track down the family of it's most famous wielder and return it to them for posterity.

I really like that. It makes your world have a living history. I think that is important for GM's to be able to have in their world @ their table. I tip my hat to you good sir.

mojo

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 03:37:47 PM »
I don't typically give out lots of magic-items so I've never had an issue with players throwing away their old ones, but I think that is pretty solid!