OSRGaming

Author Topic: Volume 6 Issue 177 - Fungal Forest  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
  • XP: +101/-0
  • “We can't stop here, this is bat country!”
    • View Profile
Volume 6 Issue 177 - Fungal Forest
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:50:19 AM »
http://rfipodcast.com/show/2016/05/17/volume-6-issue-177-fungal-forest/

RFI back once again and this time a fungus is among us, as we review the OSR compatible, Fungal Forest adventure setting. It’s a massive network of caves, filled with goblins, pixies, dark fey, and off course lots and lots of fungus. So if you can’t have enough mushrooms in your game or enjoy seeing your PC’s imploded when inhaling mold spores, you chould check out the Fungal Forest and listen to this weeks issue of Roll For Initiative.

Links in today’s show:
Fungal Forest – www.drivethrurpg.com/product/178717/The-Fungus-Forest?term=fungus+forest

Please consider supporting our show on Patreon for as little as $1 a month!
Email us at RFIStaff@gmail.com for questions or comments!
Send us a voicemail, 570-865-4210, where we now have Goblins standing by!
Vincent Florio
Executive Producer of WGP Family of Podcasts
570-865-4210

Offline Sturla Snorrison

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 6 Issue 177 - Fungal Forest
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 05:42:51 AM »
Great show, as usual. This sounds like a scenario well worth checking out and could be a major feature of any campaign, if desired.

There was some discussion about the possibility of PCs being able to identify some of the fungi. I think this could be one of those semi-rare occasions where a druid would have some true utility for the party. Under the class description for the druid in the PHB p.21 it says that at 3rd level a druid gains the ability to identify plant type. The word "type" could be interpreted a few different ways I suppose, ranging from- it's a tree, it's algae. it's a fungus, to a more specific identification of the properties of the plant. I guess if I were DMing, I would take a middling approach and provide the druid with more info the fungi than any other class, but I probably wouldn't disclose all the properties of every single mushroom. I also think my players would argue vehemently that the druid would know everything there is to know about every mushroom that ever lived. Again, I wouldn't go that far as a DM, but I think a druid might know a fair amount more than any other class.

Thanks for the show!

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:31:13 AM »
Caught this a few days ago when it went live on Patreon.

Great show guys, and this adventure sounds awesome. I liked the idea of mixing it with the caves of chaos. Currently running B2, so might have to do that now.

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:22:44 AM »
Good adventure to run in the Gamma World or in D20 Grimm.  Am already making plans to do so in my home game once the players complete the Sinister Shroom adventure.

Still the criticism for professional dm's?  Yes. It is a hobby. Are there not other hobbies with a similar business model?  So Nick likes to offer his services for free. That's great. Good on him. That's his conscious choice and I support it. I also support the pro DM. No one is entitled to a game. It's nice to get in on one for free but one should never feel entitled to another's time and effort. And hey Vince, entrepreneurs and free markets rock, don't they? 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:42:47 PM by angelicdoctor »

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
  • XP: +101/-0
  • “We can't stop here, this is bat country!”
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:01:36 AM »

Still the criticism for professional dm's?  Yes. It is a hobby. Are there not other hobbies with a similar business model?  So Nick likes to offer his services for free. That's great. Good on him. That's his conscious choice and I support it. I also support the pro DM. No one is entitled to a game. It's nice to get in on one for free but one should never feel entitled to another's time and effort. And hey Vince, entrepreneurs and free markets rock, don't they?

Because D&D is a social hobby, not something to exploit like these A-holes are doing, but overall.. I've just basically said, "meh". I wasn't as steamed up as I was on that round table show. I think Nick was more steamed up then anything ;)

Great show, as usual. This sounds like a scenario well worth checking out and could be a major feature of any campaign, if desired.

There was some discussion about the possibility of PCs being able to identify some of the fungi. I think this could be one of those semi-rare occasions where a druid would have some true utility for the party. Under the class description for the druid in the PHB p.21 it says that at 3rd level a druid gains the ability to identify plant type. The word "type" could be interpreted a few different ways I suppose, ranging from- it's a tree, it's algae. it's a fungus, to a more specific identification of the properties of the plant. I guess if I were DMing, I would take a middling approach and provide the druid with more info the fungi than any other class, but I probably wouldn't disclose all the properties of every single mushroom. I also think my players would argue vehemently that the druid would know everything there is to know about every mushroom that ever lived. Again, I wouldn't go that far as a DM, but I think a druid might know a fair amount more than any other class.

Thanks for the show!

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing as you there. I would also give a chance that a magic user would know some as well. At least with the group I current am in. The Magic User is always looking for books and ways to make his own potions based on plants/herbs.
Vincent Florio
Executive Producer of WGP Family of Podcasts
570-865-4210