OSRGaming

Author Topic: Baseball  (Read 17837 times)

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Baseball
« on: May 16, 2016, 12:43:27 PM »
Last year during the playoffs, a Blue Jays player flipped his bat after hitting a home run, after a back-and-forth game with questionable calls.

This year, the Rangers' pitcher, who had to avenge this slight, dinged the player with a pitch.  The player and a baseman then got into a fight.

I only follow baseball and basketball when Toronto's team is in the playoffs (so almost never), so this was all a mystery to me.

Anyone here a baseball fan who can explain?  Why on earth is throwing your bat rude?  Why is it okay to nail people with fastballs?  Is it just the way things are, or is there some history to it?
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline DadsAngry

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
I haven't followed baseball since I was a kid, but hitting people with fastballs was never o.k. It does happens. Sometime batters will lean into a pitch to far or deliberately put them selves into a position to get hit so they can take a base. Some pitchers are accident. Deliberately hitting the batter would get you thrown out of the game. Throwing the bat is considered rude because the people can get hurt in it's path. Batters are supposed to drop the bat after they hit. Maybe things have changed since I watched and played baseball but players on both sides in major league games are supposed to show good sportmanship.

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks for answering.  I cannot get my head around it.  The way the Jays' season is going, I won't have to worry about watching their play off run this year anyway.  :)

Now on to figuring out when a foul is not a foul in basketball.  Go Raptors! :)

Offline hive_mind

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
Bautista didn't just flip the bat casually, he actually deliberately paused and flipped the bat in a manner calculated to rub it in the other team's collective faces.  Since it was a playoff series ending play, the Ranger's basically had to live with it all off-season, so there was no doubt he was going to get plunked when the two teams met this year.  [Note:  this is why Baseball doesn't encourage  showing up other players/teams, one you start inviting retaliation from burly major league players with bats and 100 mph fastballs, these sorts of antics can escalate pretty quickly.]

So Bautista got hit with a pitch as everyone expected, and everything should have ended there.  Instead, Bautista started jawing instead of just of taking the base.  Then on the next play he slid (very) late into 2nd base in an effort to take out the second baseman (a very dangerous play that Major League Baseball is cracking down on with new rules).  Then, to make things worse, instead of trotting home he jumped up and started advancing on Odor (2b), who promptly popped him right in the jaw.

In the end Odor was suspended for 8 games for the punch, and Bautista 1 game for his antics, with several other players and coaches getting some short suspensions as well.  You'd thing from those numbers that Odor was the villain here, but most baseball insiders will tell you that Bautista is really the catalyst for this whole thing and deserves much of the blame for the incident.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:00:03 AM »
Yes I never understood the hitting them with the ball for showing you up thing. It's one of those things were everyone looks very immature.

Offline hive_mind

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:41:23 AM »
You have to look back at the history of baseball to understand I guess.  Back in the day things could escalate and things would get out of hand not only on the field but in the stands and outside the park as well.  Many of the "unwritten rules" of baseball were actually developed to protect the players and the game.

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:44:09 PM »
More than most sports, baseball's history seems to have a lot of impact on today's game.  I like this aspect of the game.  The pitching at players not so much.  :)