OSRGaming

Author Topic: Chainmail Spellcasting  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • XP: +1/-0
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
Chainmail Spellcasting
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:52:29 PM »
Brendan Falconer in Knockspell #2 took the rules for spellcasting from the Chainmail supplement and cleaned them up for ease of use. I liked what he did. It added an element of uncertainty to casting magic while allowing the Magic-User the chance of recovering the spell (instead of the usual Vancian fire-and-forget). A chap on Google+ was looking for a 2d6 version of the spellcasting rules (there are many around) and I told him about Brendan's article. Now Brendan used a d12 instead of 2d6, but that is easily remedied. Also he uses low numbers are better than high numbers. I am not a fan of that. Bigger numbers are always better, right? So I tweaked the table making it 2d6, higher numbers better. Once the caster has rolled the 2d6 to see if the spell is immediately successful, successful but delayed one round, or a failure, he or she must roll another d6 to see if the spell is forgotten or can be retained. I thought that the player could add his or her character's intelligence bonus to aid in spell recovery. Since 3d6 are being rolled, I thought that the player could roll 2d6 of one colour and a 1d6 of another colour to see the result of the casting. This would allow for things like rolling all sixes means maximum spell effect or damage and rolling all ones means a spell fumble. I've attached the idea. Let me know what you think.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: Chainmail Spellcasting
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:42 PM »
Interesting idea AM! For years I've been wanting to run OD&D using chainmail combat. If I ever get around to doing that, I'll have to give this spellcasting chart a shot too.

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 09:51:27 PM »
I love this! Some of the entries don't have a (#) after them. Are they unable to be recovered?
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline Angry Monk

• Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »
I love this! Some of the entries don't have a (#) after them. Are they unable to be recovered?
Thanks, Kitty. I think that's what the lack of numbers mean. The spell goes off immediately, but it is then spent.
I'm glad you like it.  :)

Offline DM_Screenmonkey

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:58:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing I'll have to take a look.

Offline Angry Monk

• Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:20:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing I'll have to take a look.
Great! Let me know what you think. I've also put together a d12 spell fumble table in case my players roll 3 ones!   ;D