OSRGaming

 

Author Topic: Reading Dragon Magazine  (Read 5465 times)

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Reading Dragon Magazine
« on: April 29, 2016, 08:43:21 PM »
I am flipping through digital Dragon issues tonight, looking for inspiration for what to add to my game.

Issue 1 - the bulette.  Classic nasty monster.  Happy memories from some gold box game - was it Dark Queen of Krynn they were in?  FRUA?
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »
Issue 2 - more that I like in this one.

Monkish martial arts combat.  I like the little illustrations of various strikes.  Still think my jiu jitsu sensei would take these strikers to school.  :)

Joe Fischer's article on dungeon design was good.  I like his chest trap ideas.  Pipeweed of Stoning though?  Really? Good for helping the monks relax I guess.  Ring of Magic Missiles?  Bag of Infinite Wealth?  Yes please!

Remorhaz - another classic I only personally recall in computer games.

Ends with fighter weapon specialization increasing damage rolls.

Lots of good stuff in this issue.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:58:27 PM by outlander78 »
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Serian

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 22
  • XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
The "pipeweed of stoning" effect is petrification. It's the "pipeweed of Acapulco" that is for monk relaxation.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:12:27 PM »
You are right.  Tell me it wasn't a joke, though!
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:30:24 PM »
Issue 3

A lot of content I strongly disliked, but do not want to waste time commenting on.

I am going to steal a great idea from the samai class though:  if an attack role is sufficiently higher than the target, roll for extra damage, which is expressed as a fraction of the targets total hit points.  For example, 50% chance of doing 25% damage, 25% chance of doing 50%, 12% chance of doing 75% damage etc.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 09:03:28 PM »
Issue 4

Empire of the Petal Throne issue.  Looks like fun, but I am too tired to get into a new system and world tonight - just skimming for crunch at the moment.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 09:11:14 PM »
Issue 5

I like the opening witchcraft article.  The mysterious unknown author is intriguing.  I wonder if they were ever identified?

Creature Feature:  the anhkheg.  Another classic monster.  Loved these guys in Baldur's Gate!

This is also the issue with the classic article claiming Gandalf was 5th level.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:14:00 PM by outlander78 »
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
Issue 6

Very simple trading rules that allow players to run a trading business on the side.  I have wanted something like this for a long time - very happy to find it!

Creature:  Death Angel.  Sounds like the Grim Reaper (black robes, scythe).   I will definitely use this.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »
Issue 7

D&D origin article by Gary, fun dice alternative article, and a really horrific Alien Queen like creature feature. 
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 09:22:14 PM »
Issue 8 & 9

More good articles.  None of the crunch I am seeking, but fun reading.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:24:54 PM by outlander78 »
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 07:28:48 AM »
Issue 10

Here is a fun bit of crunch - tables for rolling up random monsters.  Size, attacks, abilities and so on.  That's more like it!
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 07:32:58 AM »
Issue 11

Articles on grappling and non-lethal quarter staff fighting.  I see these topics have been around a long time.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 09:59:23 PM »
Issue 12

Stats for Lovecraft's monsters.  Gold!  I know most adult gamers are appalled at treating the 'gods' as mere high level monsters, but as a slash and hack style gamer I do, and this was great for me.

I have always found these stories with their horror, weirdness and made up words to be wankerish, so I look forward to an underwater romp with Cthulu as the big bad appearing in my game one day.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »
Issue 13

More gold!

A write up of Japanese mythos - with stats - and random demon generation tables.  Also, player tips from the great James Ward.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline outlander78

  • Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 161
  • XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Dragon Magazine
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
Issue 14

Good articles.  The last one had some crunch to it - making lycanthropes playable characters with a berserker aspect to them.  I like it!
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.