OSRGaming

Author Topic: 5e Starter Set, Who has played it?  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
5e Starter Set, Who has played it?
« on: March 24, 2016, 10:20:34 PM »
So last week I started running some of my buddies from my BFRPG group through the adventure in the 5e starter set. I've had it for awhile, and the PHB, and was originally turned off by what I read, but am finding that I quite like 5e from our session so far. I was quite surprised by how deadly it can be. What did y'all think of the starter set, and what if any changes did you make to the Lost Mines of Phandelver?

Offline Vile

• XP: +10/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
Re: 5e Starter Set, Who has played it?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 10:28:47 PM »
I ran it RAW to get a clear understanding of the rules before I started tinkering with them, and overall I was satisfied with the package as a nice mini-sandbox, and players were not forced into a particular railroad. We did end up missing out on one part because it was linked to one of the pregens that didn't make it into our game, though. You have to be aware of all the hooks and modify them as needed if you really want to get "everything" out of the campaign.

I also don't care for the secret societies, they seem a bit forced. I never liked the Forgotten Realms setting, and I don't like what I've seen of the 5E version.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
Running it raw has been what I've been trying to do. Reading 5e, there were many things that I thought I'd want to change outright, but actually playing, it seems quite well balanced, and I'm not sure I'll be changing much at all.

I have no experience with forgotten realms. I've started reading the first novel, and enjoying it so far, and luckily for me, all of my players have only ever really played with me as their DM, and one of our players running Star Wars d6, so they don't know anything about Forgotten Realms, so the bloated history is something I don't have to worry about. I think I'm going to give it a shot for now and see how it works.

Offline kevinwatson

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:19:30 AM »
The system works, it is not perfect. Definitely see how things are supposed to work before tweaking, you may find the tweaks are not needed.

I know that watching the game develop over the playtest's 13 iterations, I saw the need for multiclass diminish every iteration with class specializations, for example. However, multiclass is still there for the people who's vision is not covered by class and specialization.

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 07:47:05 AM »
I ran it RAW to get a clear understanding of the rules before I started tinkering with them, and overall I was satisfied with the package as a nice mini-sandbox, and players were not forced into a particular railroad. We did end up missing out on one part because it was linked to one of the pregens that didn't make it into our game, though. You have to be aware of all the hooks and modify them as needed if you really want to get "everything" out of the campaign.

I also don't care for the secret societies, they seem a bit forced. I never liked the Forgotten Realms setting, and I don't like what I've seen of the 5E version.

I am not crazy about the faction thing either so I don't use them. I ran the SS adventure in the Realms but since I am not crazy about the Realms I am running a Greyhawk campaign now (using old 1e modules).

I really like 5e. Ii is pretty much a modernized version of 1e and BX for me (yes I know not everyone feels that way). It is tied with 4e as my favorite versions of D&D.

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +14/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:45:29 AM »
As noted on the SoD podcast, Liz and I played through the box starter. Its ok, though I felt the "first level" characters were overpowered; though that may be my DM-ness speaking there.

It FELT like D&D to us, which made it an improvement over 3X. I'd put it in the category of 2E w/splatbooks. Not my preferred system, and I won't run it but if someone is running a game I'll play it.

DM (Good at giving fair shakes) Mike

The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline DM_Screenmonkey

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 07:05:17 PM »
I've played it. I think it's better then the 3.x/PF versions. It does feel more D&D I would and have played it, but it's not a system I'd run.  I'm not a big fan of the auto attack cantrips (too computer gamey to me) and I like playing mages. But over all not a bad iteration of the current game.

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
  • XP: +101/-0
  • “We can't stop here, this is bat country!”
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »
5e is outstanding and with some nice adjustments, such not allowing certain races and such, the game is great.
Vincent Florio
Executive Producer of WGP Family of Podcasts
570-865-4210

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 02:53:02 PM »
5e is outstanding and with some nice adjustments, such not allowing certain races and such, the game is great.

Curious which races you've disallowed?

Luckily, for now we're still using the starter set, but I know they're interested in a campaign once we're done. Drow are the only thing so far I know I won't allow, but I'm still on the fence with tieflings and dragonborn.

Offline kevinwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 06:39:50 PM »
I stick with Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Half-elf (but not 100% convinced), Half-orc (90% sure I will remove them too). I like the classic races. The others belong in very specific worlds or in Planescape.

Offline bbarsh

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
    • pacesettergames.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 08:29:15 PM »
I really enjoy 5e. In context, I really disliked 2e, hated 3e, and thought 4e was not even D&D.

The game definitely has a 1e feel; although I am not a fan of the hardcover adventure books. I'd like to see them put out some stand-alone style adventures that are not over-the-top scenarios.

It really is a good system and intuitive.

Offline kevinwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 10:17:41 PM »
I am with you, complete the 1e or Classic D&D feel by going back to the 16-32 page adventures that were loosely or tightly connected.

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 08:49:30 AM »
I keep passing this by in Half-Price books.  Always tempted to pick it up.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 09:59:50 AM »
I ran a few sessions of this before my group went on hiatus for a bit. We loved it. LMoP was a great adventure, and 5e ran really nicely. I plan to finish it up once I return home from Switzerland and to start running Curse of Strahd.

Offline mutazoid

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • www.oakvillegamers.com
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »
I think 5e is great because you can change things without breaking it.
Personally, I dont like Drow,DragonBorn and Teiflings being base races.
The players heal up faster than old school and level up to 3 really fast.
The healing thing is 50/50 for me. 
The leveling up to level 3 quickly is mostly ok with me because I dont like the PCs sitting at low levels...  Im itching to play again.... hmph
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
MY dream is to make an OSR Cafe
(Contact me if you like to kept in the loop when I start developing it)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
ps. I use to be Keith in the forums here before resigning up