OSRGaming

Author Topic: Pocket Monsters  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Pocket Monsters
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
Yeah, I read an article on Pokémon. I admit it. Anyway, if this has been done or seems silly, I blame my stroke. Anyway, just something that popped into my head:

Pocket Monster
These small, rubbery spheres are highly prized by wizards. Small enough to hide in the palm of your hand, they are used by throwing them at the ground, preferably in the direction of your target. Upon striking the ground (or other surface), the ball turns into the desired monster.

The kind of monster depends on the level of he wizard. You may not summon a monster of hit die greater than your level plus your Charisma bonus. (Your force of personality is needed to control the monster. If you have a negative Charisma modifier, then you subtract. A -1 Charisma modifier means that a Level 2 Wizard can only summon a 1HD or less monster.)

The monster summoned may not be a specific individual. You could not, for example, summon Ragnar Skull-Smasher, the Half-Orc Hero; you could, however, summon a Half-Orc to fight on your behalf. The summoned creature is not an individual but is a magical manifestation of the creature type. It will have typical stats for its kind and typical abilities. (Use the default data in the Monster Manual.)

You may summon as many individuals as you can summon according to HD limitations. For example, if you can summon 6HD, you could summon 2 3HD monsters, 3 2HD monsters, 6 1HD monsters, or 1 6HD monsters. If you summon multiple monsters, they must all be of the same type, i.e., all Orcs, all Hobgoblins, etc. They will have identical stats.

The summoned creatures will fight on behalf of the Wizard independently; you need not do anything to maintain the creatures. They fight as long as the Wizard is alive (not necessarily conscious) or as long as the battle rages. Once the battle is over or the Wizard is dead, they reform into a small, rubber ball. The Wizard, if conscious, can summon the ball to himself. If he is unconscious but alive, his allies can pick it up for him, but they cannot use its powers.

Notes:

If an intelligent creature is summoned (an elf or human, for example) they will be incapable of anything but battle. They do not speak, but they can obey combat-oriented commands. You can order them to attack specific combatant targets as long as you can identify them. You could, for example, order them to take out the Orc wielding two swords. However, you could not order them to take out the Hobgoblin commander if you couldn't identify him yourself.

Creatures may only be summoned for combat. You could not summon a horse to ride or a human to carry your gear. Such a summoning will fail with a 10% chance of the creature forming and attacking the summoner. (Creatures slain by using this technique are not worth any XP. The Gods don't reward idiocy!)

Creatures summoned fight on behalf of whomever threw the ball. It doesn't matter who t he actual owner is so long as the ball-thrower is a Wizard or arcane spell-caster of some sort.

The creatures manifest as soon as the ball strikes a surface. If you try to bat it back on the caster, the creatures will form immediately upon impact, right in front of you! Even trying to gently catch the ball won't work as they'll manifest on your hand.  Pray they haven't summoned a worg!

You decide what to summon before throwing the ball. Throwing the ball can only be done a number of times per day equal to your INT modifier.
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game