OSRGaming

Author Topic: Batman vs Superman Movie (spoilers)  (Read 20216 times)

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Batman vs Superman Movie (spoilers)
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:41:10 PM »
When I heard about this movie, I was looking forward to it - DC's "big three" are the characters I most liked when reading comic books as a kid.

I just finished reading some critics reviews, and came away with the following:
a)  Batman drinks and kills people
b)  Superman is a dark, angry man
c)  the violence is of the dark, bone-crushing variety, not Iron Man crushing robots or Hulk smashing Loki for laughs

I may have to explain to my ten-year-old son why I am not taking him to see this until after I get a chance to rent and review it.  That's going to fly like a lead balloon.  Sigh.

Anyone else got a different take?  Are you seeing fun in the previews, or have you read any positive reviews?
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Batman vs Superman Movie (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
Pretty much what I heard.

Keep in mind this is "Man of Steel" Superman. The Man of Steel that destroyed an entire city and murdered General Zod. It sounds like DC is trying to go a darker route with all of their movies and TV shows. I expected The Dark Knight Returns, which was pretty grim. This sounds darker.

I'll probably see it, if only to have a basis to discuss how DC has blown it yet again, but I wouldn't take a pre-teen to see it and I'd definitely pre-screen regardless.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:40:03 PM »
Yeah, it's now a rental instead of a fun afternoon out with my son.  Ah well, there's plenty else to do, and the weather is getting better every day.  :)

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »

Keep in mind this is "Man of Steel" Superman. The Man of Steel that destroyed an entire city and murdered General Zod. It sounds like DC is trying to go a darker route with all of their movies and TV shows. I expected The Dark Knight Returns, which was pretty grim. This sounds darker.

I'll probably see it, if only to have a basis to discuss how DC has blown it yet again, but I wouldn't take a pre-teen to see it and I'd definitely pre-screen regardless.

Murdered is a strong word. He killed a super powered being that was threatening the Earth. Seemed pretty justified to me.

I am not a huge fan of the darker DC movies. I prefer the Marvel movies. I enjoyed the Man of Steel okay but it doesn't stack up to the Marvel movies for me.

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 06:50:11 PM »

Superman himself did not destroy Metropolis, it was General Zod's gang of baddies staging a war against Earth ! Kal El's damage was a result of trying to fight them !

Heck, in the 1990's Gamera Trilogy, (Great Trilogy, by the way), Gamera killed 50,000 people trying to defend the planet !!!

"Dark Knight Returns" did not seem grim to me, heck Nolan tried to pay tribute to the 1960's Batman in that one, in a lame way ( Sending 3,000 cops into the sewer so he can stage a life-like version of the opening of Batman '66, after they get out, for example).

Sure DC could have tied their TV-verse into the current movie, & now see maybe they should have, but it could be that they were & maybe still are, planning some sort of Multi-Verse conflict.

Which would mean the TV Heroes may still get to see the big screen.

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »
Arrow was grim, I watched most of season one.  Are the newer DC shows more cheerful?

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »
I saw this today. It wasn't bad. Not as good as the Marvel movies but still enjoyable.

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »
That is good to hear.

Offline Maegnarval

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
Check out Red Letter Media's, "Half in the Bag: Batman Vs. Superman", these guys are hilarious !

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-v-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/

Offline falconsfan08

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »
Saw the movie last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Took my 10 year old daughter and she loved it as well and she has had no interest in the other Marvel movies my wife and I have watched but that could be because I am a DC fan and tend to rip the Marvel movies apart.

Spoilers ahead

Batman is dark in this movie, perhaps the darkest we've seen him in a movie in the fact that he has spent 20 years battling crime in Gotham with little to no real success and he's been pushed to his limits and frankly is at a point where, realistically, he should hang up the cowl before he crosses the line and becomes the very thing he has sworn to stop.

Superman is the Man of Steel, DC turned Big Blue, my personal favorite, into a much darker character than anything Christopher Reeves would have ever played in their reboot and while it pained me greatly to see him kill Zod it did fit the version DC sought to present in their more "realistic" comic movie world.

Wonder Woman was handled perfectly in my opinion, I now have a fairly decent feeling about her solo movie.

I have rambled too much already, I loved it and didn't think it was too dark for my daughter, she was just as excited as I was but my father had me watching Predator, Terminator and any other Ah-nold movie when I was about her age and I am a completely sane, rational human being.  Just remember, if it bleeds...we can kill it!

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 04:22:38 PM »
After thinking about it for a while the thing that kept this movie from being decent to a really good movie was that is was trying yo do too much.

It tried to
1) give batman a backstory,
2) setup a conflict with Superman,
3) resolve that conflict,
5) introduce an immediate villain that had to be dealt with,
6) tease a future villian, and
7) setup the creation of the Justice League.

In the end it was too much and made the movie unfocused.  Marvel does the shared universe thing much better.

Offline Maegnarval

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
It seems that, like with "Dark Knight Rises" they should have split the movie into 2 parts, & worked on the story some more.

I may go see this mess when it comes out, in June i think, in it's R-rated form on the big screen, since the restored scenes may help with the story.

It seems that instead of trying to be different from Marvel they ought to embrace it & try to be better instead.