OSRGaming

Author Topic: How many OD&D players here?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline DM_Screenmonkey

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
How many OD&D players here?
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
How many of the posters here play OD&D with the 3 LBB's or a clone of the whitebox?

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: How many OD&D players here?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »
3lbb is my system and flavor of choice for OD&D :) Not currently running a game of it, but have in the past.

I know Thorkie is also an OD&D fan, but not sure of his preferences.

Offline Serian

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 09:22:24 PM »
yeop

Offline Professor thork

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »
3lbb is my system and flavor of choice for OD&D :) Not currently running a game of it, but have in the past.

I know Thorkie is also an OD&D fan, but not sure of his preferences.

It's my 'go-to' system as a springboard; but, y'all know me--I love to tinker.

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
I play it, have a '77 white box. It's not my go-to, I'm afraid, but now and then I break it out.
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline richmondgrognard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 03:04:15 PM »
I am about to launch an OD&D game next weekend!  I was first introduced by Mentzer, then AD&D, and today I received my first OD&D OCE box set!

I'm likely going to run the party through B2, as I am pretty familiar with it, if the group sustains.  Or maybe the sample dungeon from Holmes.

Suggestions?

Offline DM_Screenmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 06:31:57 PM »
I am about to launch an OD&D game next weekend!  I was first introduced by Mentzer, then AD&D, and today I received my first OD&D OCE box set!

I'm likely going to run the party through B2, as I am pretty familiar with it, if the group sustains.  Or maybe the sample dungeon from Holmes.

Suggestions?

Some suggestions

First and foremost keep it loose and have fun!

Adventurers are competent, hardened sorts. Keep this in mind for any mundane task.

Unless you're 100% sure there's a chance for failure, don't roll. A good description of a reasonable plan succeeds. Period. It will cost resources of some sort: materials and/or time.

If you're certain there should be a chance for failure, then roll the dice. However, always tell the player what the odds are first.The character is right there and can judge for themselves that odds far better than you can ever convey them to the player via description.

For rolling with OD&D I keep everything on a d6. You'll notice most non combat is on a d6. When in doubt give it a 2 in 6 chance and modify from there.

Biggest thing to remember if you don't have thieves anyone can look for and find traps. But as a DM it's up to you to give some visual clues if appropriate. Also note in the Underworld and Wilderness book page 9 "Traps are usually sprung by a roll or a 1 or a 2 when any character passes over or by them. Pits will open in the same manner." traps will not always spring.

Most experience points come from treasure not monster killing. Players should avoid wandering monsters if possible as wandering monsters just drain resources.

Don't play OD&D with expectations of other editions play it as it is.

Keep combat abstract remember that one round in OD&D is a minute so one die roll represents a lot of action. So unless the room is really large don't bother to track movement .
* If no one is stopping the character from moving, say "You move where you want to."
* If someone tries to tackle or block, make an attack roll.
* If no one is actively blocking, but it's a crowded melee, roll 1d6: on 5+, it takes two moves instead of one.
* If someone else tries to get there first, make the same d6 roll for both, but lowest roll is first.

Henchmen and hirelings!!!

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 10:58:21 AM »
I use the Swords and Wizardry WhiteBox and Complete editions.

Offline ThePerilousDreamer

• View Profile
    • The Ruins of Murkhill - OD&D and Other Classic Old School RPGs
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 03:10:12 PM »
OD&D is the only game that I play and I have been playing it now for 41 years . My current campaign started in July 2009 and we play monthly with usually me plus 4-6 players as the average.

virtual4sight

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
oD&D is my preferred game system. While I've ventured into other realms, I find that it is more than adequate to meet my needs for a set of rules to use as a base for my games. I've been playing since the original box set came out. I ventured through Mentzer, 1e, 2e, and at 3e  I decided it was getting to costly and cut my losses and decided to stay with oD&D. I do like some of the retro-clones that have come out and have played in games that use them but for my own GMing I stay with the original books and supplements.

My favorite gaming world is Judges Guild's Wilderlands of High Fantasy. I was an early subscriber to their products and all of my campaigns are based in and around the City State area. Right now I'm developing an adventure that takes place south of the CSIO call The Evil Beneath.

Looking forward to interacting with everyone here...

Jim