OSRGaming

Author Topic: Is WGP dying out?  (Read 6246 times)

Offline longfoot

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
Is WGP dying out?
« on: March 18, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »
I have been wondering this for a little bit.

I know everyone has busy lives, so maybe this is just the natural course of things.
THACO's hammer released a podcast a few weeks ago, but it was recorded around halloween so those guys are way behind. I know that SoD is on hiatus (though they hopefully will be back soon). RFI had some great podcasts going there in the past 2 months but we haven't seem much lately.
The AP podcast was never released on the latest game Vince was running last year.
DGS and the host of other podcasts that had started up over the past year or so are now all but defunct.

Kind of a bummer.
I'm hoping to hear more podcasts, but i also understand that we all have families and day jobs too.
With this gawd-awful election cycle, i can't stand listening to radio, so i look forward to the podcasts for my drive-home-from-work entertainment.

Hope all is well with all the hosts!

Offline DadsAngry

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Is WGP dying out?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »
I understand what your saying. The WGP family has been scaled back to it's core three podcasts. In the past couple of years the family grew and offered 7 or 8 podcast that are now dead or in deep hibernation. I'm curious to know why Path of Legend a podcast about bring element of 1e into you 5e was not a WGP. It features Vince, Sal, and Eric.
Does anyone know what's involved in being a producer of a podcast?
Don't worry a new Thac0's Hammer will be out shorty. Patreon backers just received early access to Splatbook 119. I would expect in to be release to the general public in a week or less.

There are a lots of good podcasts out there depending on your interests. Maybe that should be it's own thread.

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • XP: +1/-0
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
I was having the same thoughts.
I wondered if the total wipeout of the forums contributed to the general malaise.  Here's another thought. Is there much new stuff coming out for the shows to talk about? I know SoD has stuff, but does 1e or 2e? I know there are lots of old things to talk about, but are there thriving 1e and 2e products being produced? I have to admit that SoD is the only podcast that I listen to now. I like how they examine material and talk about it. I don't always agree (but most of the time I do) with their points, and I don't know if I like the top 5 thing (sorry, Mike!), but I get the feeling that everyone has read the material and thought about it. I know this takes a lot of time, but I think it produces a quality show. RFI, on the other hand...I like the hosts (I do!), but often it's only Nick that talks about the material while the other hosts sit back and listen. And the new comedy bits about the higher powers and kobolds and such...I have to admit that they're not for me. There's too much riffing and not enough serious discussion.
Even the new 5e podcast just seems like a retread of past discussions. "How to make 5e old school?" I think the "old school" stuff is played out. There is a difference and everyone has different styles, but I want to know what these old school gamers think about the new version. How are the mechanics different? What are the good things and the bad things? How hard would it be for me (BX and 1e player) to catch on? How is it different? I don't want to hear "This sucks." I want to hear "This sucks and here's why..."

I don't know. I'm grumpy (doing my income taxes) and I worry that my favourite spot on the internet and my favourite shows are fading away...

Please don't take offence at my words. I don't mean to piss anyone off.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:21:22 PM by Angry Monk »
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +10/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:12:20 PM »
Well, I can't speak for the other shows...and you all know as much about the PoL cast as I do. However, Save or Die isn't going anywhere. We've been on hiatus due to some projects but now we're getting back to things. In fact our first show was to be this Sunday, but Liz's voice acting teacher got sick last Sunday (which was supposed to be the last class) so her last class was moved to this coming Sunday.

So, barring any weirdness we're recording on the 27th and Jim will probably hae it to Vince for insertion on the feed within a week. After that we're probably going to put out a SFH in the next 2 weeks after that, and then go back to our (relatively) twice a month schedule. ;)

Soon!

DM (Good at reassuring listeners of SoD; he hopes so anyway) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 11:26:31 PM »
That is good news Mike.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline talvola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 12:53:44 AM »
I think there is a ton of stuff to talk about for the shows.   Save or Die is my favorite (of course...).   Going beyond the original TSR published material, pretty much any of the new material being published for Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, or more generic adventures tend to be extremely BX/BECMI compatible with virtually no work to translate.   For AD&D 1E, there may be less new material, but there has still been a lot of OSRIC or otherwise AD&D compatible material published.

That's even assuming looking at published products is intended to keep being part of the show.   Anyway, still tons of like in the old school D&D world!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:11:01 PM by talvola »

Offline DadsAngry

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 02:06:37 PM »
There is still a ton of 2e stuff to talk about. I don't see Thac0's Hammer running out anytime soon.

Offline longfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
Great to hear DMMike. Although, the 27th is Easter assuming you record on holidays. 
Anyways, looking forward to it.

Offline longfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 02:42:01 PM »
Also, I still think there's anything plenty of 1e material. The show is broken into segments.
There's tons of creatures to discuss from the MM and FF in the Creature Feature Theater.
There's also a ton of magic items to discuss in the treasure chest segment.
I, for one, love the old modules for nostalgia reasons. I'd still love to see T1-4 done. 

Offline Vile

• XP: +10/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 03:45:26 AM »
Enforced SoD abstinence is not good for one's constitution over the long term.  :o

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 03:52:08 AM »
Maybe WGP would still be going strong if it had shows about the good versions of D&D.  :-)

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
That is what is great about WGP - it covers the entire range of good D&D games, from the start of OD&D right through to the end of 2E.  It is too bad no products have been released since then, but such is life.  ;)

Aside:  What makes Save Or Die great to me is that its hosts take the time to read products and then discuss them in their fun, charming style.  I like the Top Five approach, as it seems to neatly allow for different hosts to focus on, or skip, parts of the products they review.  RFI and Thaco's Hammer both have their strengths too.

I am concerned about the drop in postings at these forums, as momentum seems to be important to keeping forums going.

I switched from reading forums on my notebook to using my tablet and phone.  Typing responses is a pain, and literally became painful for my thumbs, so I posted less and less.  I need to get back to using my notebook, as I enjoy posting here and elsewhere, but unintentionally nearly stopped completely.

I wonder why others seem to have started posting less.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
I wonder why others seem to have started posting less.

Speaking got myself I have pulled back some from RPG messages boards in general.  The exclusionary nature of the fan base and the general negativity of said fans has soured me on the message boards.  Still love playing but am drawing back from the anicillary aspects.

The same thing has happened with football for me. Still love the games but the pre and post game shows I am pretty much done with.

Offline outlander78

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
I am as guilty as most about 3E jokes, though I mean them in fun.

I agree about the negativity, though I don't understand it.  Maybe it is just the anonymous nature of message boards?

Offline Angry Monk

• Master of the North Wind
  • Teacher Librarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 02:53:28 PM »
Yeah, but I don't find this forum overly negative. I find it very friendly and helpful.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

This is my Moderator Voice Terms of usage!