OSRGaming

Author Topic: Volume 7 Mini Issue 10 – Too Much Gold?  (Read 885 times)

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
  • XP: +101/-0
  • “We can't stop here, this is bat country!”
    • View Profile
Volume 7 Mini Issue 10 – Too Much Gold?
« on: September 14, 2017, 06:30:43 AM »
http://rfipodcast.com/show/2017/09/13/volume-7-mini-issue-10-too-much-gold/

DM Vince and DM Matt are back this week with a mini issue, and the topic is a golden one, just how much gold is too much. What are the pitfalls of running a ‘Monty Hall’ game where the characters have more coinage than Scrooge McDuck? How do you manage character levels when finding 1 gold is 1 xp? The gang discusses all of that more in this week’s mini issue of Roll For Initiative.

Theme Music provided with Permission, performed and produced by Gloryhammer, find them on facebook.com/gloryhammer/

Follow us on Twitter
• The Show – @RFIPodcast
• Vince – @TheEvilDM
• Matt – @Degenx

Contact us
• Email: RFIStaff@gmail.com
• Voicemail: 570-865-4210
• Patreon (early show access!): patreon.com/WGP
• Vince’s Blog: TheEvilDM.com
Vincent Florio
Executive Producer of WGP Family of Podcasts
570-865-4210

Offline ian54

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Volume 7 Mini Issue 10 – Too Much Gold?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
I always assumed the gp=xp rule was to represent "mission accomplished", if the party killed the monsters and stole their loot then that's the bonus xp, it ties in with the treasure tables as to what that bonus was. Of course the loot needed to be secured, how it was spent was immaterial. Note that a bigger party, and paying off any retainers, or sharing loot with NPCs, all reduces the gp share and thus the xp bonus, as it should as the task was effectively easier, so it's actually a nice way to balance all the rewards and consider it a game mechanic rather than some "real world" rule.

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:13:47 AM »
I always assumed the gp=xp rule was to represent "mission accomplished", if the party killed the monsters and stole their loot then that's the bonus xp, it ties in with the treasure tables as to what that bonus was. Of course the loot needed to be secured, how it was spent was immaterial. Note that a bigger party, and paying off any retainers, or sharing loot with NPCs, all reduces the gp share and thus the xp bonus, as it should as the task was effectively easier, so it's actually a nice way to balance all the rewards and consider it a game mechanic rather than some "real world" rule.

yeah good points here. Most of my groups, never do anything with retainers or hirelings, and just horde gold like a dragon.. :)
Vincent Florio
570-865-4210

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:13 PM »
For awhile I was making my players spend the gold to earn their XP so they couldn't just hoarde it. Seemed to work alright :)

Offline Lord Nikon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
For awhile I was making my players spend the gold to earn their XP so they couldn't just hoarde it. Seemed to work alright :)

hey that will work :)
Vincent Florio
570-865-4210

Offline Loma

• XP: +3/-0
  • Priestess of Hanali Celanil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »
There is no such thing as too much gold. A good money pit of a castle can absorb any amount.
Jesus saves and takes half damage.