OSRGaming

Author Topic: NPC Classes  (Read 2341 times)

Offline lastgrasp

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
NPC Classes
« on: October 17, 2016, 08:22:32 AM »
Did anyone allow or play the NPC classes from Dragon Magazine? I think the Bard from Dragon Magazine 56 is quite awesome and probably the best version of the bard.
Check out my OSR Blog. Random Encounters, New Monster, New Magic Items, and more!

http://creaturespotlight.blogspot.com/

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
Re: NPC Classes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »
Here's my list. Not all are Dragon Magazine, but most are.

Barbarian (revision)
Cavalier (revision)
Monk (revision)
Bounty Hunter
Bard (Minstrel)
Jester
Bandit
Duelist
Psionicist
Incantatrix (Sorcerer)
Witch
Scout
Hunter
Mountebank
Mystic
Anti-Paladin (NPC Only)
Sentinel (NPC Only)
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline lastgrasp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 06:16:06 PM »
Does the Psionicist use the 1e psionic system or something unique to that class?
Check out my OSR Blog. Random Encounters, New Monster, New Magic Items, and more!

http://creaturespotlight.blogspot.com/

Offline Alex Karaczun

• Master of Reality
  • XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 07:35:46 PM »
Does the Psionicist use the 1e psionic system or something unique to that class?

1e with some expanded content. Dragon #78.
Kalex
Dungeon Master Extraordinaire

My personal Blog:
Omens and Portents

Offline Shiftkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:38:02 AM »
Never played the listed classes, but we did do an "Average Joe" game where everyone played run-of-the-mill peasants with no special abilities. All were human and the plot revolved around recovering some pigs that had been stolen by the village swineherd, who had in turn sold them to a bunch of hungry goblins. The goblins were passing through to a new lair and didn't have the strength to risk fighting the villagers, but they did have gold to pay the swineherd. To make things really fun, the fight wound up taking place in a very slippery, muddy field. I think we made more DEX rolls than attack rolls!

Anyway, it was a fun one-shot deal and we called it "We Have No Class When Gaming With Pigs".
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 09:43:26 AM »
Never played the listed classes, but we did do an "Average Joe" game where everyone played run-of-the-mill peasants with no special abilities. All were human and the plot revolved around recovering some pigs that had been stolen by the village swineherd, who had in turn sold them to a bunch of hungry goblins. The goblins were passing through to a new lair and didn't have the strength to risk fighting the villagers, but they did have gold to pay the swineherd. To make things really fun, the fight wound up taking place in a very slippery, muddy field. I think we made more DEX rolls than attack rolls!

Anyway, it was a fun one-shot deal and we called it "We Have No Class When Gaming With Pigs".

That sounds like fun SK! How did y'all work out the Average Joes? were you like 0-level PCs from UA, or something else? sounds like a lot of fun.

I haven't looked into NPC classes much, or even dragon-magazine ones much to be honest. I'm always open to letting people use the bard from Best of Dragon if someone was interested. I've used the classes for OD&D from the SR or BoD1 in the past.

Offline outlander78

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
I like having as many classes as possible in my game.  I take ideas from lots of sources, including Dragon, but usually use the ideas to tweak an existing class until it is new but hopefully still balanced against its peers.  I don't want to be in a situation where new classes outshine the classics, or where it would be silly not to all play over all others.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline DM Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 11:23:48 AM »
I've always allowed Barbarians, and I also had Alchemists, although I cannot remember where I got the class info.  Seems like it came from the Dragon, but maybe it was a homebrew...
"I hate pickles."