OSRGaming

Author Topic: The Force  (Read 205 times)

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
The Force
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
How would you make the Force work in D&D? Are there D&D spells that mimic the effects of the Force, or would it be something else altogether? It doesn't seem to have predefined spell lists, and for some reason psionics has never felt quite right to me. Would it be limited to something like divination and telekinesis spell-like effects only? And would you make a PC do a Constitution roll or something  since apparently Luke could get exhausted after a good practice session?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:06:58 AM by Shiftkitty »
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +5/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Force
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 01:29:02 PM »
I guess I would use psionics as the foundation, as this would be the center of how the Force would use divination and telekinesis, and the ability to manipulate magical energy to achieve results.

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
I'd be tempted to make them class-based abilities similar to how the monk is defined in 1st edition AD&D with certain Force abilities unlocked at a certain level signifying the level of training the jedi-like character has attained.  Another thought along these lines would be to try and mesh the D6 Star Wars approach with D&D starting the force user character with access to Sense-related force powers then adding Control powers at 3rd level and finally Alter powers at 6th, for example.  Use Wisdom and/or Charisma checks to gauge the success/failure of each force use attempt, borrowing from Star Wars Saga Edition.

Another way to integrate force powers is through the use of D&D's skills rules, cf. Hollow World supplement and/or RC.  Each power is simply a skill the force user learns.  Apply the necessary related skill check for success/failure and/or magnitude of success or failure and voila! Force powers in classic D&D.

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
Thanks. I have the RC and the SWD6 books. I'll poke through them and maybe use the psionics mechanics.
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game