OSRGaming

Author Topic: What is your limit?  (Read 916 times)

Offline outlander78

• XP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
What is your limit?
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:38:47 PM »
My kick starter limit is $10 for PDFs (I do not buy printed books).  For $10 I will take a KS bet that a good product will be delivered.  I boggle at the price tags I see for some - $30 and up for a PDF! I wonder if these are just soaking people, or subsidizing the print customers.

I know I am cheap here, and don't mind it a bit.  I am curious how cheap I am though.  What is your limit?
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: What is your limit?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:09:35 AM »
Hmm, for me i widdle it down to what they offer. If they have exclusives, even though i kind of hate when they do that. I may be more willing to get that KS.

However, if you are on a budget & there are several of them you would like to pledge to, KS can get you all frustrated.

The current ones I would love to pledge to include, The Ice Kingdoms, Zweihander, Prince Valiant, Barrowmaze, & Worldographer.

Upcoming ones include Dark Naga Adventures & the 3rd edition of Villains & Vigilantes.

I have passed on Mutant Crawl Classics & the Creem Magazine Documentary.

So as to my limit besides the budget.

I mainly get the pdf, (Because then i can use it for Roll20.net as well as tabletop & save on storage space), only getting any special KS print version, if it's better than what onebookshelf or lulu offers.

On that note, i may shell out the $150 to get the high quality BarrowMaze books & the Worldographer KS, and maybe Zweihander or Ice Kingdoms KS.

I would love to get the $112 Prince Valiant pledge, and since it appears, "Very Thankfully", that everything being offered will be still available after the initial kickstarter,  I will get that one later.

As to BarrowMaze, i asked the author about adding a Hardcover Only" Pledge level for the new & previous Barrowmaze books (i'd then get the PDF's later for running on Roll20.net), & he was

telling me that he could not do it that way due to how the KS was set-up, which sounds bogus to me, & because he's doing it all on his own.

On the sense that he's being very greedy (even the PDF's are like $35.  At least take off the cost of the paper, geez), I may just pass on the Barrowmaze stuff & get the Prince Valliant one.

Offline kevinwatson

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »
I don't really have an explicit limit.
I back when inspired.
Sometimes I get the dead tree version, sometimes I don't.
I made a point of spending 10% of my KS total on indie games to help pay things forward.

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:32:50 AM »
No explicit limit for me either. I look at each item and decide if the pledge amount is worth it for me.

The most I have spent was about $60 and that was for about a dozen PDFs for the Conan 2d20 game. That pledge is also coming with the all the Conan d20 PDFs as well. 

Offline Vile

• XP: +9/-0
  • Dreamscape Designer
    • View Profile
    • Dreamscape Design
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 05:10:14 AM »
I did blow $100 on every PDF in the recent RuneQuest II reprint Kickstarter, but that was an anomaly. I will blow up to $5 on a lot of PDFs that interest me, $10 if they really interest me, and more only if I honestly think I need them or I want to support the publisher (mostly because it's someone in the OSR). But each PDF is different, for example I spent more on Mongoose's 2nd Traveller edition than I would have, because it gave me access to the playtest files. Some I will pass on because of price vs. content.

Offline hive_mind

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:53:11 AM »
No limit for me.  I'm a firm believer in making sure that creators are rewarded for their hard work and creativity.  If someone has spent a lot of time writing, doing layout, buying/producing art, then they deserve compensation no matter if it's a physical product or a PDF.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 04:56:25 PM »
I don't have a limit either. I haven't been backing as much lately though, but when I do I've been spending a lot, like on the DCC 4th or MCC kickstarters.