OSRGaming

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Other Games / Re: Gramma World
« Last post by DMMike on Today at 02:47:42 PM »
OMG, this is awesome! I need to let Jim know about it... if he doesn't already.

On a similar note, in a 2E game I was playing in our characters fought a white dragon and saved this NPC grandma but my character later froze to death. He only had 1hp and the DM said he died in the night (everyone took 1hp of freezing dmg). Just to show him, I insisted on making up the granma as a character. Granny "Knives" Knickerbocker was a retired thief who returned when duty called (and her sewing business destroyed by said dragon) to stop evil in the land.

It was a blast. :D

DM (Good at making granmas out of gammas) Mike
Roll for Initiative Podcast / Re: What do you want to hear on the show?
« Last post by ian54 on June 14, 2018, 06:25:32 AM »
Thanks. I am in the process of rebooting RFI and its coming back soon. The cast is slightly different.

Your show is missed. I've been busying myself with AP The Book of Sorrows, which I noticed you uploaded complete last year, what is the theme tune called?
Other Games / Gramma World
« Last post by okumarts on June 13, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
I wrote a S&W Whitebox inspired game called Gramma World because my friend put a typo in a message when he really wanted to play Gamma World. Instead, we rolled up Grammas and had a grand old time.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/200949/Gramma-World
Second Edition AD&D / Re: Question About Weapon Damage/Target Size
« Last post by Pladohs Ghost on June 10, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »
I don't recall any specific explanations in the books, though there may be.

The line of thinking behind that seems to be that large weapons can only do so much damage to medium/small creatures because there's only so much medium/small creature tissue to be damaged at one time--can't hurt what's not there. Large critters have more tissue to damage, so more of the energy from the weapons gets translated to damage.

If you drive a nail into a 1/4" board, only the quarter inch gets damaged, despite the nail being 2" long. If you drive that nail into a 4" board, a whole 2" of board gets damaged by the nail. Make sense?
Roll for Initiative Podcast / Re: What do you want to hear on the show?
« Last post by Lord Nikon on June 06, 2018, 05:58:29 AM »
Thanks. I am in the process of rebooting RFI and its coming back soon. The cast is slightly different.
Second Edition AD&D / Question About Weapon Damage/Target Size
« Last post by Shiftkitty on June 03, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
Found some old character sheets and a question popped into my head. I know the answer is probably in the book somewhere, but I'll ask anyway:

Why do some weapons do greater damage against Large targets while others do less?
Second Edition AD&D / Remnis, the Great Lord of the Eagles
« Last post by AuldDragon on June 01, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
Flying through the skies of the upper planes is Remnis, the Great Lord of the Eagles. He is said to be the ultimate aerial hunter, and with his great eyesight, he spies out secrets throughout the planes. He perches on the heights of Mount Celestia and in the boughs of the World Tree Yggdrasil, awaiting the call to service.

Jeff
General Discussion / Re: Adventures in "Hell" survey?
« Last post by Pladohs Ghost on June 01, 2018, 06:03:10 PM »
As a player, I've been in a few adventures where we ventured into some hell.

As a GM, I've never used any hell in an adventure.

General Discussion / Adventures in "Hell" survey?
« Last post by sgtslag on June 01, 2018, 08:39:12 AM »
I am working on an adventure where the PC's try to rescue a Paladin PC's wife, who was thrown into my campaign's version of "Hell", body and soul, alive. The Paladin PC is preparing to go after her, no matter who will/will not accompany him. I am curious on how popular running adventures in the Underworld is, amongst forum members.

So, how often do you run adventures in your nether planes? I've run several short jaunts into Gram Nar (Icelandic, "Angry Corpse", my version of Hell). Now I am preparing a long adventure wherein the PC's will enter the Underworld of the dead, and search its vast lands for the poor woman, to learn if she is still alive, and if so, bring her back to the land of the living. They think they know Gram Nar, fairly well... They ain't seen nothin' yet!

They will arrive on an island, in a cave, greeted by Cerberus (extremely difficult to "kill", as he regenerates; this will likely be a comedic encounter: all three of his heads will argue who gets to eat them, even fighting between themselves). After that, they will have to cross a sea which is full of warring undead souls on ghost ships: they will need to negotiate with the dead sailors safe passage to the land mass across the sea. Once on land, they will need to navigate, and search, the various climactic regions, in search of the wifey, without any real guides to show them the way.

They will need to dodge several dead gods' abodes/palaces, while searching. They will also need to avoid the more powerful demons and devils along the way. I really don't know how it will all play out, but it should be a real hoot for everyone... Can't wait to bring them to the cave, and Cerberus! Playing the arguing three heads is gonna be a blast, watching the players try to manipulate them into fighting one another. Picked up the Safari Ltd. toy Cerberus for this -- prefect size, pre-painted to a decent standard. Ohhhh, so fun! Cheers!
General Discussion / Re: Writing Adventures
« Last post by sgtslag on May 29, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »
Backstory has its place.  It is a delicate balancing act:  background, history, mythology, cultures, role-playing, etc.  I use it all to create a dynamic, life-like experience for me, and my players.  I think what works the best is listening to my players' table talk about what they think is really going on.  I listen to it, massage it a bit, and then play it out:  they "realize" they were mostly correct in their assumptions, but there are subtle differences which make it more believable.

I view it as interactive story-telling.  They play a critical role in helping me to develop my game world, on nearly every level.  I don't dictate to them, for the most part.  I had a player, back in the 90's, tell me she was taking the "Etiquette" Non-Weapon Proficiency...  I was flabbergasted, and disappointed:  "Why that?  What's the point?  Seems like a genuine waste where there are so many other NWP's she could take, which are far more useful..."  I buckled myself down, and read, and re-read, the description.  I thought about her homeland:  a kingdom ruled by a Paladin, with knights, Dukes, and Barons.  It all started to gel together.

With her prompting, I developed a culture, and a kingdom.  It was Lawful Good, which, to me, meant that they had strict cultural rules, and a strict caste system.  I developed ranks, and classes:  Royalty and Nobility, along with peasants, and everyone else.  I came up with Spurred Knights, and Un-Spurred Knights [spurs are earned by defeating a (relative to you) powerful enemy, usually a monster]; Greater and Lesser Royalty, and Greater and Lesser Nobility.

In the end, two players were so annoyed by the strict caste system, they flouted it, to the point of being arrested, with one choosing execution -- she wanted to end the character, and this was her chosen method of 'retiring' the PC.  It was great fun for everyone!

Interactive storytelling means listening, and incorporating, your players' input, into the game.  Back-story, history, culture, etc., can all become a part of the grand story arc, but you need to balance it all, to make the whole, memorable for all.  Cheers!   8)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10