OSRGaming

Author Topic: Dm Screen  (Read 761 times)

Offline smblackmon

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Dm Screen
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:01:21 AM »
I plan on making my own dm screen for becmi. I made one for my 1st edition players but was wondering other than the official dm screen what would you add to it to help game play.

Offline RobJN

• XP: +1/-0
  • Dire Flumph
    • View Profile
    • Thorn's Chronicle
Re: Dm Screen
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »
Aside from the usual (monster/PC "to hit" charts, saving throw tables, cleric's turning), I'd probably have the "Order of Events" tables: per wilderness exploration's "per day", per adventure turn, and  per combat round. Weapon Mastery might be something to include on the "player's side;" the DM's side could contain "special effect" or other WM notes for at-a-glance effect adjudication.

Think about the things you always have to look up -- if it's a chart, you could either include it, or an RC/BECMI booklet page number for ease of reference (with accompanying Post-it/sticky tabs in the book(let))
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Blog | On Facebook | G+

Offline Pladohs Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 12:16:29 AM »
This got me thinking. Would a flip book of tables and charts be a good thing to have in conjunction with a GM screen? The most important info on the screen and the less-often-referenced in a tabbed flip book?
Occasional freelance writer and editor.
Biggest gaming thrill: editing EGG.

Offline smblackmon

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
it might be better would save room at least. i might try to make one

Offline Loma

• Priestess of Hanali Celanil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »
All I can say is put on the tables you actually use. If you're not sure, leave lots of blank space, so you can tape on the tables you turned out to use a lot. My dad has been using a homemade screen since before I was born and it still has room for more tables.

Then again, I think he tore off a couple of old tables he wasn't using, like the labor prices table, or something.

My DM screen is a laptop, so I use iFun Viewer, which allows me to open images in separate windows and lay them out on the desktop, however I want. I don't know if you can get that software anymore. I've been using it since I was a kid. But there's probably something else that does the same thing.
Jesus saves and takes half damage.

Offline Maegnarval

• XP: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 11:26:46 PM »
Hammerdog has a portrait, ($29.95) landscape ($31.95) and mini screen ($19.95), in different colors here:

Looks like they are currently out of the silver one however, darn it!

http://hammerdog.com/twgs/