OSRGaming

Author Topic: 2e Bard: What is your experience with this class?  (Read 208 times)

Offline sgtslag

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Blog on gaming figures, and other items.
2e Bard: What is your experience with this class?
« on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:26 PM »
I have had only one player run a 2e Bard, back in the mid-90's.  He was a passive player, so I could not gauge the class based on his play of it.  My current players consider it weak, so they avoid it.  What has been your experience with this class?  Good, bad, ugly?

I play in a 2e game, but I don't believe the DM would know what to do with a Bard.  The class does not appeal to me much, personally, so I have never played one, either.  I think it has tremendous potential, with a DM willing to play it up, handing the character background information (lore, history, etc.), as well as be willing to play up the social networking it should have.  Granted, this background stuff would be taxing on the DM, but I believe it could be quite fun, if the DM has developed his societies to the point where he could play this stuff up properly.  Thoughts?  Experiences?  Your views?  Cheers!
Gaming:  one of life's many pleasures!

Offline longfoot

• XP: +3/-1
    • View Profile
Re: 2e Bard: What is your experience with this class?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:34:46 AM »
Well, for what it's worth, I had one person play a 2e Bard back in the 90's (I was DM).
But he didn't really play it too much like a bard, more like a rogue but with the benefit of casting spells.
As I remember, he was a variation of the character, Face, from the A-team. To be honest, I don't think the player really knew how to play a bard like a bard.
He was the smooth talker of the group, was the one to go find out info. I don't remember the instrument he had, but he ended up being more like a thief/mage than anything else.
That group was a lot of fun, and at the end of the day, that is the goal of D&D. But to say it was a Bard was a pretty loose interpretation.